With the imminent announcement of Morison as team manager I was thinking back through previous City managers to try and remember who the last manager was to be poached by another club, or leave for another job (in other words not be sacked) and I was struggling to recall one. Someone can probably enlighten me and Frank O’Farrell doesn’t count ;-)

It then made me think that not all clubs are like this and so I considered our nearest neighbours: I can think of Brenda, Potter, Sousa and Martinez who all left the JBs for jobs with other more aspirational clubs. (admittedly they had Brad Bobley and a few other as well!)

Is this a reflection on poor planning and recruitment at our club over multiple owners and decades (in other words a very long time), or simply clearer thinking and a bit of luck at the JBs?

It doesn’t overly bother me but the contrast seems stark and can’t be lost on the people who run the club: why do we seemingly only
ever sack managers and never employ anyone that other clubs actually want to employ as a result of their success here?

Maybe Morison will break that mould.