+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WARNOCK - was he really offered the job ?

WARNOCK - was he really offered the job ?

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...sment-19056308

Can’t see it myself after is comments on the U-23’s

Re: WARNOCK - was he really offered the job ?

I don't believe it for a second, Warnock's just stirring the pot for his own amusement

No. And to add to that Mike Flynn wasn't anywhere near appointment, though he was of interest, as suggested elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfcwelshlad View Post
    No. And to add to that Mike Flynn wasn't anywhere near appointment, though he was of interest, as suggested elsewhere.
    Glad to have you back. Missed you not being around lately.
    Nice to have titbits from the inside track.

I wonder who was in the running

That old article may make him look very foolish and not a very good judge of young players.

Quote Originally Posted by PontBlue View Post
    That old article may make him look very foolish and not a very good judge of young players.
    to be fair we did break the club record for losses in a row

I can't believe for a moment that they considered him. Once bitten...............

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    I can't believe for a moment that they considered him.
    This is Vincent Tan and Mehmet Dalman we're taking about.....

Warnock makes the point about u23 football and it's ability to mould players with that bit of an edge needed for a young player to succeed. I wonder if he's got a point about that. Whenever I've watched u23 football it does have quality, but not that level of intensity that we see at pro level.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Warnock makes the point about u23 football and it's ability to mould players with that bit of an edge needed for a young player to succeed. I wonder if he's got a point about that. Whenever I've watched u23 football it does have quality, but not that level of intensity that we see at pro level.
    Warnock often talks in extremes and some of his comments in that piece are a bit daft. However, I reckon people need to keep things in perspective and not expect too much from these kids. After all, City are fifth from bottom and have just emerged from a record-breaking run of defeats. Plenty of reasons for that and it's obviously not down to the youngsters alone, but by the same token it's not as if they've been sweeping all before them. It's very early days and the local rag's habit of branding them a 'golden generation' of academy players is not only premature but it's almost as stupid as Warnock's comments.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Warnock often talks in extremes and some of his comments in that piece are a bit daft. However, I reckon people need to keep things in perspective and not expect too much from these kids. After all, City are fifth from bottom and have just emerged from a record-breaking run of defeats. Plenty of reasons for that and it's obviously not down to the youngsters alone, but by the same token it's not as if they've been sweeping all before them. It's very early days and the local rag's habit of branding them a 'golden generation' of academy players is not only premature but it's almost as stupid as Warnock's comments.
    Like everything else in life there has to be a balance. We need players to be coming through from the ranks, but we cant expect them to turned into seasoned pros overnight. On the other hand, we cant have a team of 30+, nearing the end of their careers.
    As has been said many times, Warnock did a lot of good for the club but left it with a lot of problems, not least of all players on long lucrative contracts who may have peaked in terms of their careers.

This is Vincent Tan and Mehmet Dalman we're taking about.....
    I think it's fair to say that Colin has been around the footballing block considerably more times than VT, MD or KC and I wouldn't be surprised if Colin ran rings around the lot of them. MD's announcement that Colin went behind the backs of him and KC to persuade VT to sign Sala was enough to give the impression that they wouldn't want to go through all that again.

I read that and thought the same but I had never heard him suggest playing in the Cymru Premier League before and have to say I'd love for us to play in that league in some capacity. Before anyone jumps on me here, I stress, I have no idea of the complexities of U23 football and how playing in that league could even be possible. Is it viable? Am I the only one who would like to see us involved? Is it a stupid idea? If so, why?

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    I read that and thought the same but I had never heard him suggest playing in the Cymru Premier League before and have to say I'd love for us to play in that league in some capacity. Before anyone jumps on me here, I stress, I have no idea of the complexities of U23 football and how playing in that league could even be possible. Is it viable? Am I the only one who would like to see us involved? Is it a stupid idea? If so, why?
    There was some talk a few years back of our u23s playing in Cymru Prem, but nothing came of it.
    Not sure about that myself and the precedent it might set.

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    There was some talk a few years back of our u23s playing in Cymru Prem, but nothing came of it.
    Not sure about that myself and the precedent it might set.
    I understand what you mean. It's a shame though that we can't be more active in Welsh football without all the various football association politics getting in the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    I understand what you mean. It's a shame though that we can't be more active in Welsh football without all the various football association politics getting in the way.
    I agree entirely. In principle having an u23 side in the Welsh pyramid may be beneficial on a number of levels.
    Mind you, our current crop seem to be doing pretty well, with the right coaching.

I can understand why Warnock would want the younger players exposed to a more physical game and playing against seasoned players.
    we clearly weren't ever going to produce a player that Warnock would feel comfortable putting in the first team.
    now the style has changed though we are far more able to accommodate them and perhaps the need for that experience is less important than developing their skill levels

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    I agree entirely. In principle having an u23 side in the Welsh pyramid may be beneficial on a number of levels.
    Mind you, our current crop seem to be doing pretty well, with the right coaching.

Appreciate your comments but a lot of fans seem to have an incorrect assumption that our so called youngsters have been partly responsible for our demise.
    Prior to Morison coming in I don’t think our first eleven ever included any more than2 or maybe 3 youngsters.
    Our continued failure under McCarthy normally included at least 8 seasoned professionals

It's very early days and the local rag's habit of branding them a 'golden generation' of academy players is not only premature but it's almost as stupid as Warnock's comments.
    It may be a bit premature to talk of a 'golden generation' - as none of them have yet established themselves in the first team over a number of seasons or achieved trophies or promotions. But not very premature.

We have a squad that includes half a dozen Academy products with others queuing up behind. The minutes on the pitch column is racking up. Some may have been recruited into the Academy, others were born into it, but this season we have had Bagan, Brown, Harris, Colwill, Sang, Evans, I Davies, King, Bowen and T Davies appearing for the first team with 3 or 4 of others in the match day squad.

The u23s and u18s and younger age groups are flying. Cardiff City is providing a lot of players to Wales squads across all age groups and a few youngsters to the Ireland u23s. It is reasonable to be excited by potential as well as achievements, and we would never have had this number of youngsters breaking through in previous years even if the club was set up to give them a route through.

You are right about Warnock, though.

I have never had any faith in this board's decision-making until maybe now. But for all the stupid and wasteful decisions they've made in the past, I really don't believe they would have offered Warnock the job. Having said that, it would be nice to see the club come and say so.

I think they had no intention of re- employing NW

And I disagree with those whomaay owners and board are useless , surely the fact we have a crop of very good prospects is evidence in itself they have very good intentions and judgement that may pay huge dividends.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I think they had no intention of re- employing NW

And I disagree with those whomaay owners and board are useless , surely the fact we have a crop of very good prospects is evidence in itself they have very good intentions and judgement that may pay huge dividends.

It was always the case below first team level though surely? While I agree the old Football Combination was an improvement on the current system because City would play against sides with a nucleus of senior players and they would also face some of the top teams in the lands second strings, as someone who has seen hundreds such games in the past, I soon lost the naive expectation I had that the men in these games would play at the same intensity as they did for the first team.

In many cases, this was because they were under instructions not to over exert themselves as they came back from an injury, but, often the "old pros" would be disinterested because they knew the manager didn't rate them and there was virtually no chance of them getting back into the first team. I won't name the player, but I can remember saying at a game in the noughties that there must be scouts watching so and so because he looks like he's trying for a change.

It might change under Steve Morison, but, so far, the youngsters have not made up that big a part of the team. Yes, McGuinness and Giles are only just into their twenties, but although the former was at fault with a goal last week and has been unlucky with things like penalty decisions and deflections recently, he's in the team on merit because he has been better than Morrison and Nelson especially over the past couple of months. As for Giles, he's an established Championship level performer now.

I agree that it's difficult for Academy produced lads at the moment as they try to establish themselves as first team players in a struggling team, but we're not where we are because of this, it's because, in most cases, their seniors are performing a long way below the level that has made them regular selections at this level throughout a large portion of their career,.

I've heard Iwan Roberts say on EJFOF a few times that he thinks Rubin Colwill has been a stand out player for City in recent weeks because he's virtually been the only one in the team capable of providing creativity in the final third - the kids are bound to be inconsistent, but I'd say they're doing as well as can be expected. or better in some cases, given the circumstances.