+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WARNOCK - was he really offered the job ?

Re: WARNOCK - was he really offered the job ?

Quote Originally Posted by DubaiDai View Post
    Appreciate your comments but a lot of fans seem to have an incorrect assumption that our so called youngsters have been partly responsible for our demise. Prior to Morison coming in I don’t think our first eleven ever included any more than 2 or maybe 3 youngsters. Our continued failure under McCarthy normally included at least 8 seasoned professionals.
    I can understand why you believe the line I've highlighted, but it's not accurate.

Discounting Ciaran Brown, who will be 24 years-old in January and had already established himself as a first team squad member last season, seven of City's young players have started Championship matches during the current campaign. They are:

Joel Bagan (20), Sam Bowen (20), Rubin Colwill (19), Kieron Evans (19), Mark Harris (22), Mark McGuinness (20) and Tom Sang (22).

The following highlights the number of those youngsters who have started in each of City's 17 league games so far this season:

1-1 v Barnsley (H) - 2 (JB and MM)
    2-0 v Blackpool (A) - 1 (JB)
    2-2 v Peterborough (A) - 1 (JB)
    3-1 v Millwall (H) - 4 (JB, TS, RC and MH)
    1-2 v Bristol City (H) - 2 (JB and TS)
    2-1 v Nottingham Forest (A) - 3 (JB, SB and MH)
    0-1 v Coventry (A) - 3 (JB, RC and MH)
    0-1 v Bournemouth (H) - 2 (TS and MH)
    1-5 v Blackburn (A) - 2 (JB and RC)
    0-4 v West Brom (H) - 1 (MM)
    0-1 v Reading (H) - 2 (MM and SB)
    0-3 v Swansea (A) - 1 (MM)
    0-2 v Fulham (A) - 4 (JB, MM, SB and RC)
    0-2 v Middlesbrough (H) - 3 (MM, RC and MH)
    3-3 v Stoke City (A) - 3 (MM, RC and KE)
    0-1 v QPR (H) - 3 (MM, RC and KE)
    2-1 v Huddersfield (H) - 2 (MM and MH)

I think the perception that Steve Morison is giving the young players more of a chance than Mick McCarthy did has come about because the style of play has altered, which suits most of them better, and the fact that several have made significant marks during the last three games (Colwill and Harris scoring at Stoke, and Isaak Davies providing the cross for Kieffer Moore's winner against Huddersfield).

However, while McCarthy can be rightly accused of many mistakes during his time at Cardiff, I don't think under-using the youngsters is one of them.

As I've said previously, while the current crop of young players are clearly promising and it's great to see them involved in the first team, I firmly believe the talk of a 'golden generation' is premature and a bit silly under the circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I can understand why you believe the line I've highlighted, but it's not accurate.

Discounting Ciaran Brown, who will be 24 years-old in January and had already established himself as a first team squad member last season, seven of City's young players have started Championship matches during the current campaign. They are:

Joel Bagan (20), Sam Bowen (20), Rubin Colwill (19), Kieron Evans (19), Mark Harris (22), Mark McGuinness (20) and Tom Sang (22).

The following highlights the number of those youngsters who have started in each of City's 17 league games so far this season:

I think the perception that Steve Morison is giving the young players more of a chance than Mick McCarthy did has come about because the style of play has altered, which suits most of them better, and the fact that several have made significant marks during the last three games (Colwill and Harris scoring at Stoke, and Isaak Davies providing the cross for Kieffer Moore's winner against Huddersfield).

However, while McCarthy can be rightly accused of many mistakes during his time at Cardiff, I don't think under-using the youngsters is one of them.

As I've said previously, while the current crop of young players are clearly promising and it's great to see them involved in the first team, I firmly believe the talk of a 'golden generation' is premature and a bit silly under the circumstances.
    McCarthy is known for playing the youth, it's the only part of that appointment that made any sense to me.

Depends how you define golden generation I suppose. For a club that hasn’t produced an academy product in 10 years surely getting 5+ in at once could be considered a golden generation.

We've only got about a dozen outfield players in our squad over the age of 22. Whoever was our manager this season would have had to use the young players.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Depends how you define golden generation I suppose. For a club that hasn’t produced an academy product in 10 years surely getting 5+ in at once could be considered a golden generation.
    Back in 2012/13, the squad that won the Championship included 20 year-old Ben Nugent, who made 7 (+5) league appearances.

In 2013/14, Declan John broke into the team as an 18 year-old and made 16 (+4) appearances in the Premier League.

The fact that those two made a mark at an early age but never really established themselves here highlights how difficult it can be for young players to progress. Ben Nugent never played for the club again after those promising appearances in 2012/13 and is now at Gloucester in the National League North, while Declan John ended up making at total of 27 (+15) league appearances for City before moving on. He's now at Bolton in League One.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfcwelshlad View Post
    No. And to add to that Mike Flynn wasn't anywhere near appointment, though he was of interest, as suggested elsewhere.
    I saw that comment to and didn’t believe it either.

Rumours posted as fact again I’m afraid.

No, he'd have taken it if it was offered

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    No, he'd have taken it if it was offered
    "Our Sharon answered Phone, Said it were Mehmet on line. We had a chat and a chuckle. Mehmet begged me to come back while fighting back tears and constantly apologising, Told him i'd only do it for him, Ken and 't fans, Mugs t' lot of 'em, My kind Of People"

For me, this is the most important factor. MM may have put a few youngsters in the team, but did he really give them a chance?
    Morison is giving them the opportunity to play to their strengths and have an impact on the side. MM just sent them out to be slaughtered.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    For me, this is the most important factor. MM may have put a few youngsters in the team, but did he really give them a chance? Morison is giving them the opportunity to play to their strengths and have an impact on the side. MM just sent them out to be slaughtered.
    Interesting (at least I think so) that Morison started with just two of the youngsters in the one game he’s won. That’s fewer than McCarthy fielded in either of his last two games.