+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jobs you couldn't do?

Jobs you couldn't do?

Working down the pit. Any ex miners on here?
    Working at height. I've worked off cherry pickers and that was pretty gnarly.

Re: Jobs you couldn't do?

a carer

and yet we lose almost 60,000 of them this week

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    a carer

and yet we lose almost 60,000 of them this week
    It's fecking hard work 💪

Collecting Winston's bogeys overnight

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    It's fecking hard work ��
    It is. I have been spending more time recently looking after my 90 year old mother who can barely walk, is usually incontinent, and has dementia. She lives with my brother - but I step in for days or weeks to give him and his partner a break - and the pressure is relentless.

The physical strain, routine of medication, and the lack of dignity (especially toilet and shower) is the easier part. The constant worry about a fall or her distress is worse - and makes sleep very difficult. I only duck in and out of the stress of caring, but I have no doubt they are the hidden heroes of our society.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    It is. I have been spending more time recently looking after my 90 year old mother who can barely walk, is usually incontinent, and has dementia. She lives with my brother - but I step in for days or weeks to give him and his partner a break - and the pressure is relentless.

The physical strain, routine of medication, and the lack of dignity (especially toilet and shower) is the easier part. The constant worry about a fall or her distress is worse - and makes sleep very difficult. I only duck in and out of the stress of caring, but I have no doubt they are the hidden heroes of our society.
    Fair play to you Jon. Big respect for you and everyone dealing with seeing their loved ones getting older.
    My original post feels pretty shallow now.

French translator.
    Can’t speak French.

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    French translator.
    Can’t speak French.
    Just use Google Translate and wing it

I've been there. You have my utmost respect.

Careing for loved ones as they age is both hard and very sad to see their decline , very tough gig emotionally and physically.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Careing for loved ones as they age is both hard and very sad to see their decline , very tough gig emotionally and physically.
    It can also be rewarding, intimate and funny at times as well

I believe that caring for our parents as they come to the end of their life - often in a helpless state and unable to care for themselves - is a way of repaying them for how they cared for us as young children.

Tower crane operator.

For many years I was a gantry crane driver in a steelworks. Then I had the opportunity of going on a two week residential training course. This was back in 2005 and it cost me 2.5k.
    It seemed a natural progression to take and hopefully, a gateway to a bigger salary.
    However, I'd always been a bit uncomfortable with heights, but tried to convince myself it was something I could overcome.
    They had 4 tower cranes at the training school, each of them about 45 metres high (babies in the construction world!).
    They were a bit old and therefore they had straight ladders, not the safer zig-zag style you see on modern cranes.
    No safety harness, you just had to grip the ladder rungs as tightly as possible.
    I would be blowing out of my arse by the time I reached the operator's cabin through sheer nervous exhaustion!
    I would also get a bit of motion sickness from the constant swaying of the tower.

I paid all of that money and never got a single day's work because my heart was no longer in it.

Banned

I'm a very gifted technical brain of a carpenter.
    I install science laboratories in schools and hospitals (the latter is making me reel the banknotes in thanks to covid)
    "Just bang another zero on the end of the quote nuge" I love covid me.
    Anyway, enough about me and the fact I've just paid extra to bypass the usual 2 year Rolex waiting list, back to the question...
    What job couldn't I do?

Easy

****ing painter.
    I look at them mongos on site and think, "you retards"
    "What sort of bell whiff leaves school and thinks ""I want to be a painter""?

Just brushing walls all day with different colours.
    What the fack .

Dense as ****

Quote Originally Posted by nugent View Post
    I'm a very gifted technical brain of a carpenter.
    I install science laboratories in schools and hospitals (the latter is making me reel the banknotes in thanks to covid)
    "Just bang another zero on the end of the quote nuge" I love covid me.
    Anyway, enough about me and the fact I've just paid extra to bypass the usual 2 year Rolex waiting list, back to the question...
    What job couldn't I do?

Easy

****ing painter.
    I look at them mongos on site and think, "you retards"
    "What sort of bell whiff leaves school and thinks ""I want to be a painter""?

Just brushing walls all day with different colours.
    What the fack .

Dense as ****
    You're a wood fitter and the machines do the work for you. Flat Pack Nugent in every sense of the word. Piece of piss.

I've touched on my caring responsibilities in the past so wont again, but one job I dont think I could do is that of a helicopter pilot in the North Sea.

Plumber or anything relating to drains. **** that.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    Plumber or anything relating to drains. **** that.
    Unblocking inspection chambers that are 4ft high in shit! I've seen those things kick back when the pressure rod is put down them. Bloke was covered in shit and all sorts. He wasn't even that phased even though we were all spewing

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Unblocking inspection chambers that are 4ft high in shit! I've seen those things kick back when the pressure rod is put down them. Bloke was covered in shit and all sorts. He wasn't even that phased even though we were all spewing
    Our drains blocked last year. Absolutely horrific. Guy opens the manhole thing and I almost vomit on the spot. He didn't even wince. I never want to get to a point in life where the overwhelming stench of rotting shit is unnoticable

Our drains blocked last year. Absolutely horrific. Guy opens the manhole thing and I almost vomit on the spot. He didn't even wince. I never want to get to a point in life where the overwhelming stench of rotting shit is unnoticable
    I'd Stay away from nugent posts if I were you then.

Seems as if he's also ideally suited to a career in the care sector.

My daughter is now a carer, but as a teen she had her heart set on becoming a forensic scientist. She did her school work experience in the pathology lab at the UHW, actually took part in an autopsy (aged 14!), so wasn't squeamish. She was regularly in the top 2 at uni foing forensic science degree, then halfway through the course had to examine a case study that involved dead and abused kids. Just couldn't go on. She's have made a damned good scene-of-crime investigator, but wouldn't br able to tell the cops "Not investigating this case 'cos kids are involved".

Good on you for helping your brother help your mum

My sisters do feck all

Quote Originally Posted by valleys caveman View Post
    Fair play to you Jon. Big respect for you and everyone dealing with seeing their loved ones getting older.
    My original post feels pretty shallow now.
    No it doesn't mate

Caring is very hard but I couldn't be a doctor telling someone they have terminal cancer or a cleaner doing early mornings and night shifts

Quote Originally Posted by Once U shop, U can't stop View Post
    I believe that caring for our parents as they come to the end of their life - often in a helpless state and unable to care for themselves - is a way of repaying them for how they cared for us as young children.
    Indeed it is . I cared for my old man with alzheimers till his death . Now the old dear has vascular dementia , anxiety , delirium , a broken hip and has had two admissions for pneumonia, two for heart failure and also has IBS and urinary tract infections .

It's a tough gig