+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Jack Wilshere

Jack Wilshere

Without a Club, worth a punt to improve midfield?

Re: Jack Wilshere

He would be on the right contract but clearly that's not been something he is up for or he would have had an endless amount of offers.

Far too injury prone. Forget it.

He’s no Aaron Ramsey

He would be company for Vassell

wages would be prohibitive

He could do a job for us.

Pay as you play deal? That way it would cost us nothing!

No thanks, bad habits , over paid , posh version of Tomlin , looking for the next pay day fool..

Quote Originally Posted by Grangenders View Post
    Pay as you play deal? That way it would cost us nothing!
    Has there ever, in the history of football, been a genuine 'pay as you play' deal?

I know some players have played for nothing, just to get their foot in the door or to stay in the game. I know some players have been on a low basic wage with significant appearance bonuses.

But 'pay as you play' is so often trotted out as an option when it seems to be an urban myth or else as rare as hens teeth!

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Has there ever, in the history of football, been a genuine 'pay as you play' deal?

I know some players have played for nothing, just to get their foot in the door or to stay in the game. I know some players have been on a low basic wage with significant appearance bonuses.

But 'pay as you play' is so often trotted out as an option when it seems to be an urban myth or else as rare as hens teeth!
    Legally I imagine you have to have some kind of basic wage to play at the professional level

Much of non league is pay as you play. I’ve been paid cash, vouchers, tokens, anything would do.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Much of non league is pay as you play. I’ve been paid cash, vouchers, tokens, anything would do.
    Fair enough.

I should have said professional football.

Most of the references I have seen about possible 'pay as you play' deals have been on Cardiff message boards about potential Cardiff signings.

Didn't George Best have a pay-as-you-play deal at some point? Hibs? Stockport?

Fair enough.

I should have said professional football.

Most of the references I have seen about possible 'pay as you play' deals have been on Cardiff message boards about potential Cardiff signings.
    You're quite right about that. There have been lots of suggestions about having players on a "pay-as-you-play" basis on this meassageboard. I'm sure the PFA would have something to say about that.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Didn't George Best have a pay-as-you-play deal at some point? Hibs? Stockport?
    I had forgotten that. You are right - he did sign for Hibs on a 'pay as you play' deal.

Although to be fair that was after he had offered to play for any top flight English side for free, and the Hibs deal apparently included guarantees about playing time - so not quite what is normally meant by 'pay as you play'.

https://www.skysports.com/football/s...ar-in-scotland

Unless they are self employed and sign a separate contract for each match they are selected for, I guess the player could claim at least minimum wage for any training sessions they take part in.

Well he's not the most charismatic of pundits so I can't imagine him getting too many gigs on Sky after the the other day (looked miserable and bored). Maybe he pulled something picking up the mic.