+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Jay Bothroyd - 11 Years Ago Today

Jay Bothroyd - 11 Years Ago Today

Got the call up to the England side.

Facebook memories just reminded me.

Absolutely loved watching him play for us, clearly had an incredible amount of talent but it was still crazy to see him get called up and play though.

England are a lot better off these days but seems so strange to think they called up a striker from the Championship.

Re: Jay Bothroyd - 11 Years Ago Today

Think they had loads of injury problems going into the game, meaning Bothroyd was the next logical striker to get a call up. It was Jordan Henderson's debut aswell.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardiff-Cal View Post
    Got the call up to the England side.

Facebook memories just reminded me.

Absolutely loved watching him play for us, clearly had an incredible amount of talent but it was still crazy to see him get called up and play though.

England are a lot better off these days but seems so strange to think they called up a striker from the Championship.
    He was never the same for us after that. He had been unplayable that season up to that point

On one of those Undr the cosh podcasts, can’t remember which. Apparently Bothroyd turned up for for training after his England cameo, wearing his England tracksuit. Safe to say it went to his head.
    Apart from the odd game, was nowhere near as good for us as before his call up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Miethig View Post
    On one of those Undr the cosh podcasts, can’t remember which. Apparently Bothroyd turned up for for training after his England cameo, wearing his England tracksuit. Safe to say it went to his head.
    Apart from the odd game, was nowhere near as good for us as before his call up.
    Prior to that call up he had scored 15 in 16 games, including 8 in the 6 games before the England game. After that game he scored 5 in 25.

Great player on his day but had to be all about him and he got worse after his England call up.

Unfortunately his no show in the play-off final defined his time with us for me.

The England selectors stitched us up big time capping him.

I do remember when he signed there were some doubters if he would actually deliver those skills we knew he had in his locker ,and he did ,great era .

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Prior to that call up he had scored 15 in 16 games, including 8 in the 6 games before the England game. After that game he scored 5 in 25.
    Yes it all went downhill after his call up.
    I wonder if he sees it that way?

Always felt that his last season has seen people look at him with rose tinted specs. For most of his time with us he was lazy and not particularly effective. Can remember him playing absolutely brilliantly against Coventry in his first season, but rubbish for pretty much the rest of the year. Coventry game was about him wanting to play well against his old club.

Then in the last year of his contract, when he wanted to play well for his own future earnings he was immense.

Great player when he could be bothered, absolute mercenary for the majority of games

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp_1927 View Post
    Always felt that his last season has seen people look at him with rose tinted specs. For most of his time with us he was lazy and not particularly effective. Can remember him playing absolutely brilliantly against Coventry in his first season, but rubbish for pretty much the rest of the year. Coventry game was about him wanting to play well against his old club.

Then in the last year of his contract, when he wanted to play well for his own future earnings he was immense.

Great player when he could be bothered, absolute mercenary for the majority of games
    I think that's a bit harsh. Bothroyd and Chopra was a good partnership. I remember us playing at the Liberty when Chopra was suspended. Bothroyd played up front on his own. We didn't have the best of games but when he had the ball that day he was almost unplayable. He knew what it meant to the fans.

Banned

11 years ago I was 33, Tony tit was sober, Jimmy the Jock was a mechanic and tlg supported cardiff.
    They were the days boys

Superb player, felt proud when he got called up.
    The guy had everything, Ive no doubt he tried at other clubs but maybe we were just right club at right time. Similar to Mutch somedays he looked levels above everyone.
    Maybe it is a bit about application but i dont think footballers playing against other ridiculously good footballers can just turn it on and off.

On his day he was the real deal but dont think other fans will think we are crazy, probably in the same way we knew how good Whittingham was.

given the rest of his career you would always have expected his scoring to drop off before too long. whether or not he had the England call up.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    given the rest of his career you would always have expected his scoring to drop off before too long. whether or not he had the England call up.
    I'd add that I'd expect just about anyone's scoring rate to drop after a start like that. Following the England call up his scoring run was the worst during his time at the club, though.

He was never the same for us after that.
    Simple as this really

I think he got a bit ahead of himself.....

Old Cauliflower arse we used to call Bothroyd, the slightest touch and over he’d go
    He was one of those frustrating players where you’d never know what you we’re going to get

The only player I've seen us have with technique and control to rival him was Whitts. Even Ramsey, with all his skill, couldn't strike a ball like Bothroyd. He was clean as a whistle.

But he needed a flaw or two, or he would never have stayed here so long. We did see the best of a really good footballer, someone who was talented enough to play for England more than once. If Ricky Lambert made it into double figures, Bothroyd could have. But he drifted out of games and didn't have consistency.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    The only player I've seen us have with technique and control to rival him was Whitts. Even Ramsey, with all his skill, couldn't strike a ball like Bothroyd.
    It was such a beautiful thing..

Him and Whitts....could bring so much joy to so many people with one kick of the ball.....

Bothroyd could have been a top flight footballer if he had a bit more of an aggressive attitude.....

I'm starting to feel a bit nauseous reading this thread

He was more than happy being a big fish in a small pond, seen plenty of those about over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    I'm starting to feel a bit nauseous reading this thread
    i'm starting to feel a bit nauseous reading a post about you being nauseous in a thread that made you feel nauseous

Maybe we should stop talking about ex Cardiff City players and just be less nauseous....

Whats for tea?

I've got a Fray Bentos and a Carling Black Label