+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ledders hangs up his boots

ledders hangs up his boots

joe16led
    Verified
    I’ve had an amazing and wonderful journey but today sadly it’s time to hang up my boots…

I’m officially retiring from football. It all started when I was 9 and signed for @cardiffcityfc , since then I have never looked back. Making my debut for my home town team at the age of 17, fresh faced and full of ambition. It was a dream come true. Playing in play-off and FA cup finals at Wembley are moments I will never forget. The highest of highs to the lowest of lows with a club that is so close to my heart.
    Signing for @celtic was a true highlight, an amazingly unique football club. There was no better feeling than winning trophies for arguably the most passionate fans in the world, cherished memories. Hail Hail 🍀. I achieved more than I could have ever imagined, but the time came to follow another dream and play in the Premier League, @cpfc opened the door for that. Playing against and along side some of the best players in the game. Amazing.

A massive thanks to @dcfcofficial @cafcofficial @newcastlejetsfc & @newportcountyafcofficial_ for showing faith in me ❤️

None of this would have been possible without the support of my family & friends, who have always been my biggest fans ❤️ A huge thanks to everyone behind the scenes, the life blood of all football clubs. @the_baldwinners @avid_se who has guided and helped me over the past 10 years, I am forever grateful for your patience 😂

Then there is @fawales , my beloved Wales - I can never imagine retiring from international football, so I will forever remain available! Please don’t take me home ❤️

what a career, always gave his all and its been a pleasure to watch him play for club and country

Re: ledders hangs up his boots

Nice message, like the bit about always being available for Wales.

Best of luck to him in his retirement.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Nice message, like the bit about always being available for Wales.

Best of luck to him in his retirement.
    No time for him. Why did he run down his contract which meant that we didn't get a fee for him, but would have benefited his immediate family in terms of pay, securing his future and that of his children. I know that we had great service from him for absolutely nothing, but c'mon, how selfish can a husband-father be towards the club? It's not like we'd have released him at 18 if he was a load of shit. Mercenary in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    No time for him. Why did he run down his contract which meant that we didn't get a fee for him, but would have benefited his immediate family in terms of pay, securing his future and that of his children. I know that we had great service from him for absolutely nothing, but c'mon, how selfish can a husband-father be towards the club? It's not like we'd have released him at 18 if he was a load of shit. Mercenary in my book.
    To be fair didnt Stoke make a significant bid and we turned it down.

Like Bothroyd a complete case of mis management by our club.

Hes hardly Sol Campbell.

Think you’re wrong, don’t think theClub offered him a deal, or if they did it was paltry, so like most he ran down his contract. Didn’t do anything wrong.

Probably a bit harsh, the club would have known the situation also.

It's easy to say we would have stayed with the club our whole career or until they kicked us out (which they would in an instant if you no longer provided value) but when it's your career, offer of more money and security, offers of winning trophies then maybe most of us would act on the same way.

I always think, particularly when you are earning good but not absolutely insane money you have to take every opportunity in what is a short career. Could have broken his leg the next year and ended up down the pyramid with no one at City caring too much.

I think some of you are not reading Tuerto's post correctly.

how dare he

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    I think some of you are not reading Tuerto's post correctly.
    Well spotted buddy!

Yep well played Tuerto.

Well spotted buddy!
    It's a whooooooooshathon!

Agree with the sentiment entirely. A great player for us and for Wales. I get the impression he loves his football, I wonder if he will stay in the game?

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    Agree with the sentiment entirely. A great player for us and for Wales. I get the impression he loves his football, I wonder if he will stay in the game?
    Lesley seems the type who would get involved in grassroots football just for the enjoyment. I wouldn't be surprised to see him knocking about on pontcanna with his mates on a Saturday afternoon!

Nice.

Lesley seems the type who would get involved in grassroots football just for the enjoyment. I wouldn't be surprised to see him knocking about on pontcanna with his mates on a Saturday afternoon!
    Definitely not the case. He was interviewed only a week or two ago on Radio Wales and asked if he'd consider playing Welsh Premier like David Edwards and Neil Eardley. His answer was 'No, I wouldn't go that low' (which didn't impress me much).

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    Think you’re wrong, don’t think theClub offered him a deal, or if they did it was paltry, so like most he ran down his contract. Didn’t do anything wrong.
    Not quite correct - quote from Wikipedia - ‘On 2 September 2009 Ledley was offered a new four-year contract by Cardiff City, which was later rejected.’ The offers from Stoke were received during the previous season and turned down. West Ham and Hull were interested during 2009/2010 but offers were refused. Seems to me the club did quite a bit to try to keep him but he wanted to play at a higher level, which is fair enough. However, the problem came when he signed for Celtic, as that was the only option where City would not get any fee. Quite why he wanted to play in Scotland, when he could have gone into the Premier League with a number of clubs, is the mystery. It can only have been for the money but that option gave his home town club nothing. From City’s point of view and his own footballing career he probably made the wrong choice and that is what is a bit difficult to take. No doubt the money was nice though.

Just remembered that Barnsley goal. My favourite new Wembley moment

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Not quite correct - quote from Wikipedia - ‘On 2 September 2009 Ledley was offered a new four-year contract by Cardiff City, which was later rejected.’ The offers from Stoke were received during the previous season and turned down. West Ham and Hull were interested during 2009/2010 but offers were refused. Seems to me the club did quite a bit to try to keep him but he wanted to play at a higher level, which is fair enough. However, the problem came when he signed for Celtic, as that was the only option where City would not get any fee. Quite why he wanted to play in Scotland, when he could have gone into the Premier League with a number of clubs, is the mystery. It can only have been for the money but that option gave his home town club nothing. From City’s point of view and his own footballing career he probably made the wrong choice and that is what is a bit difficult to take. No doubt the money was nice though.
    Didnt the story go that he was upset with the contract offer because is was quite low. Especially at the time where Cardiff were paying Robbie Fowler such a high salary. Ledley was captain of the club and making a far greater contribution than Fowler.

The club were gambling in getting a high level of compensation for Ledley and a move to the premier league seemed on the cards

However the premier league clubs interested also felt that a high compensation case was likely and didnt makes/removed their offers, Celtic was the only option left of the table, which left no compensation was due to the club.

C'mon man - paragraphs! That's a difficult read.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    how dare he
    Exactly, basket case of a club back then too….did stoke even offer anything? Good on him and he’s a decent bloke too for a footballer always got time for a chat I see him a few times a week

Didn’t he turn down county at the last minute to do to Oz - do t blame him
    Mind - just saying

He went on to play premier League football with crystal palace. Won trophies in Scotland with Celtic and hopefully made a few quid along the way. Good on him. No loyalty in football in my opinion.

He went on to play premier League football with crystal palace. Won trophies in Scotland with Celtic and hopefully made a few quid along the way. Good on him. No loyalty in football in my opinion.
    Seems like you're one of the few to recognise it's a profession. You go where the work takes you, and to better yourself/family.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Seems like you're one of the few to recognise it's a profession. You go where the work takes you, and to better yourself/family.
    Exactly, and it's a volatile industry, a run of bad form, injury etc can affect future earnings massively.

Imagine having a ten to 12 year career where you have to maximize earnings? I'd whore myself out to the highest bidder and I wouldn't give a shit.

I work in the building game and was self employed for 22 years. I literally crossed the road to another site because the rate was better. The contractor didn't give a shit for me.

Is that Lesley, the transvestite, from Benidorm played by Tim Healey?