+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Andy Carroll signs for Reading

Andy Carroll signs for Reading

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59294298

Interesting one. Does he have anything left in the locker? If so, he should make his mark at this level.

Re: Andy Carroll signs for Reading

that's a roll of the dice

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    that's a roll of the dice
    Two month deal, so I guess not no too much of a risk from Reading's point of view.

Bizarre for both parties.

Unless Carroll is completely shot I would have thought his agent would have got him a nice retirement gig somewhere like the MLS.

Doubt hes fit.

Low risk I suppose for Reading as hed be quality if fit and near his best.

Warnock would have given him a 4 year deal.

I thought they were still under a transfer embargo (Pearcey - what is the score?).

If that is right doesn't that mean they can only recruit short term on a severe salary cap if their squad if below a certain size?

Whatever, it looks like a short term low-wage deal for a 'name' who cannot be fit. A club wanting to change the headlines? But what is in it for Carroll? Does he see it as a shop window to something that might offer a final payday?

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    I thought they were still under a transfer embargo (Pearcey - what is the score?).

If that is right doesn't that mean they can only recruit short term on a severe salary cap if their squad if below a certain size?

Whatever, it looks like a short term low-wage deal for a 'name' who cannot be fit. A club wanting to change the headlines? But what is in it for Carroll? Does he see it as a shop window to something that might offer a final payday?
    FC Reeperbahn maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post

We are under an embargo still and cannot pay more than £8k a month on wages for any player. This deal makes sense and I suspect the EFL have agreed it because 1) we have agreed a points deduction and the process ahead and 2) our chronic injury problems with half of our small squad out injured. It reached a nadir last Monday night when Jhamari Clarke our young striker just turned 18 scored twice v Brum then two days later broke his ankle playing for the under 23’s.

Hopefully by mid January Joao will be close to returning. Hoilett back before then too.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Two month deal, so I guess not no too much of a risk from Reading's point of view.
    I was against signing him for the rest of the season. This makes sense.

Getting fit on £8k a month so he is ready to go elsewhere seems like a great deal for the player but not the club.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    We are under an embargo still and cannot pay more than £8k a month on wages for any player. This deal makes sense and I suspect the EFL have agreed it because 1) we have agreed a points deduction and the process ahead and 2) our chronic injury problems with half of our small squad out injured. It reached a nadir last Monday night when Jhamari Clarke our young striker just turned 18 scored twice v Brum then two days later broke his ankle playing for the under 23’s.

Hopefully by mid January Joao will be close to returning. Hoilett back before then too.
    Good luck 👍

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    Getting fit on £8k a month so he is ready to go elsewhere seems like a great deal for the player but not the club.
    Doesn't that rather depend on what he contributes?

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Good luck ��
    bollocks to that, they are in a relegation scrap with us

He's been finished for 3 years. He isn't going anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    He's been finished for 3 years. He isn't going anywhere.
    I bet Big Mick is kicking himself. Carroll’s a big lad. Good header of the ball. Potential centre back. Mick could have got six on the pitch.

I bet Big Mick is kicking himself. Carroll’s a big lad. Good header of the ball. Potential centre back. Mick could have got six on the pitch.
    His only chance is if Warnock gets another job (He will) albeit short term. Big Andy could be looking at a 3 year deal.

If he's fit, he'll be a handful at this level. I somehow doubt he is though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    bollocks to that, they are in a relegation scrap with us
    Nah , come Xmas we will be sniffing at the play offs , and folk will be saying have you see the 'Cardiff Way '

As he's been without a club since at least last July the evidence suggests he is not match fit. There is also a question of his injury record. Let's say it takes Carrol a month to get up to the required level of fitness that means he is available to play for only a month. That doesn't sound like a great deal for the club. Of course if you know more then I am sure you will tell me.

Issue is by the time he’s up to match fitness (if ever) he will be free to pick someone come January fully fit.

Could be for a LFW role for 5 or 10 minutes before the FT whistle blows.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    Issue is by the time he’s up to match fitness (if ever) he will be free to pick someone come January fully fit.
    Yep so it is in his interests to perform well and hope for a deal elsewhere in the January window

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Yep so it is in his interests to perform well and hope for a deal elsewhere in the January window
    Of course, I don’t think that’s ever been his issue though, he works hard it’s his fitness that’s the issue. I maybe wrong but I don’t think you will see the best of him until he’s about to leave IF he stays fit.

2 months in the treatment room...