+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: It's Just Not Cricket - Howzat

It's Just Not Cricket - Howzat

I notice that now the shit hits the fan with the racism at Yorkshire county cricket, Wales are being referenced quite a lot on the news today it's no longer England it's England and Wales or ECB for short. surely it's time for our own board.

Re: It's Just Not Cricket - Howzat

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    I notice that now the shit hits the fan with the racism at Yorkshire county cricket, Wales are being referenced quite a lot on the news today it's no longer England it's England and Wales or ECB for short. surely it's time for our own board.
    Seeing as Glamorgan has 2 allegations of racism put its way in 2005 and 2012, i think its fair to look at the entire cricketing landscape as a whole.

https://www.skysports.com/cricket/ne...sm-allegations

As mentioned today, cricket is not like football and counties cannot survive without ECB support. So to walk away from that would be catastrophic for cricket in Wales.

Quote Originally Posted by qccfc View Post
    Seeing as Glamorgan has 2 allegations of racism put its way in 2005 and 2012, i think its fair to look at the entire cricketing landscape as a whole.

As mentioned today, cricket is not like football and counties cannot survive without ECB support. So to walk away from that would be catastrophic for cricket in Wales.
    I like Cricket, but mainly in a "few beers in the sun at Sophia Gardens" kinda way. Generally speaking, is the British Asian community well represented in county / t20 matches and at coaching levels etc?

I really don't know, and I know it's not relevant to this case, I just wondered.

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    I don't know (or care much) about a Wales Cricket Board. Plenty seem happy about the invisible and silent 'Wales' small print in the England & Wales Cricket Board letterhead. Along with the 3 lions, GSTQ, the cross of St George, 'Engerlund' chants, 'the ECB' and all the rest.

But I do agree with your point about the media suddenly remembering the "Wales' bit when there is bad news to report.

It was always a bit of a joke that Andy Murray was British when winning, but Scottish when losing - but it was true.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    I like Cricket, but mainly in a "few beers in the sun at Sophia Gardens" kinda way. Generally speaking, is the British Asian community well represented in county / t20 matches and at coaching levels etc?

I really don't know, and I know it's not relevant to this case, I just wondered.
    Is the British Asian community represented well in any mainstream British Sport. Rugby/Football/Cricket. I would say no.

What i would argue is you see more British Asians playing top class Cricket in the UK than you do the other sports.

In the local area and leagues you have decent Asian participation, and some Asian focused teams. What Rafiq said today is that the problem is not in the grassroots, and with opportunities to play, because these exist. Rafiq stated the problem is in the dressing room, with particular emphasis on the professional environment.

Quote Originally Posted by qccfc View Post

Probably shows my ignorance (maybe not the right phrase to use in the circumstances) but I was really surprised to see Kieran Carlson referred to as a British/Asian cricketer in that link.

Watched Azeem Rafiq’s testimony to the Parliamentary Committee today and he was very impressive.

I can’t remember exact figures, but it’s something like 30 per cent of club cricketers in the UK are of Asian descent and that figure drops to 3 per cent when it comes to first class cricket. As for coaches, I would be surprised if there were no Asian descent coaches in the county game, but I’m not aware of any.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I can’t remember exact figures, but it’s something like 30 per cent of club cricketers in the UK are of Asian descent and that figure drops to 3 per cent when it comes to first class cricket. As for coaches, I would be surprised if there were no Asian descent coaches in the county game, but I’m not aware of any.
    That's interesting to know, cheers

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    I don't know (or care much) about a Wales Cricket Board. Plenty seem happy about the invisible and silent 'Wales' small print in the England & Wales Cricket Board letterhead. Along with the 3 lions, GSTQ, the cross of St George, 'Engerlund' chants, 'the ECB' and all the rest.
    Not forgetting Jerusalem of course

Gary Ballance seems a nice chap.

You wonder if football the alleged bad boy of sport has a better disciplines in dealing with racism within the club structures and its controlling bodies unlike Cricket which is very much like a closed shop by County??

I am shocked at these reports , as many good Asian and black cricketers have seen success in the British game.

It was always a bit of a joke that Andy Murray was British when winning, but Scottish when losing - but it was true.
    Was it? Genuine question. I doubt one exists but if it does if like to see the analysis that supports that.

Don’t think we’ll be seeing David ‘Bumble’ Lloyd on Sky Sports Cricket again.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    Was it? Genuine question. I doubt one exists but if it does if like to see the analysis that supports that.
    https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/p...itish-22707443

Only fair to add that the BBC have produced some research to show that the BBC don't do this. Totally independent of course!

wonder why he returned to the county

Quote Originally Posted by poc View Post
    I think reading between the lines, what happened is that there was racial terms used as 'banter' and probably accepted as such (rightly or wrongly) and then relationships broke down and looking back on it, it's being used (rightly or wrongly) in the case of grievance, particularly it seems in relation to issues regarding his stillborn child. Azeeem Rafiq was seemingly treated badly in that situation and he is questioning whether his race played a part in that.

I've no doubt racist abuse exists, openly and hidden, and I also have no doubt it can be used as banter in both directions. The lesson here is to never use it as banter and, obviously, to treat people well and with the upmost compassion when difficult personal circumstances occur.

Quote Originally Posted by poc View Post
    If you listen to his full interview he explains his change in mindset.

I was quite sceptical of this at the start, as judging by his twitter Rafiq himself seems like quite a knob. A lot of deleted tweets that are verging on personal threats. He was also a bloody awful player, but one who was very highly regarded by Yorkshire and given chance after chance.

Seeing some of what has come out has changed my outlook a lot mind. If even half of these things are true then there is a problem within cricket.

I would be very interested if the drug test allegation is repeated outside of parliamentary privilege. I just don't understand how it would be possible to hush it up for a bloke who was around the England side. If that does turn out to be true, then Yorkshire cricket club will be facing a whole world of pain and quite rightly so. If it turns out to be malicious then Rafiqs other testimony will need to be looked at aswell.

Interestingly, just read his cricinfo stats and profile. He was the ineligible player that meant Yorkshire lost their t20 quarter finals place in 2008. If I remember rightly it was Glamorgan who benefited from that decision.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp_1927 View Post
    I was quite sceptical of this at the start, as judging by his twitter Rafiq himself seems like quite a knob. A lot of deleted tweets that are verging on personal threats. He was also a bloody awful player, but one who was very highly regarded by Yorkshire and given chance after chance.

Seeing some of what has come out has changed my outlook a lot mind. If even half of these things are true then there is a problem within cricket.

I would be very interested if the drug test allegation is repeated outside of parliamentary privilege. I just don't understand how it would be possible to hush it up for a bloke who was around the England side. If that does turn out to be true, then Yorkshire cricket club will be facing a whole world of pain and quite rightly so. If it turns out to be malicious then Rafiqs other testimony will need to be looked at aswell.

Interestingly, just read his cricinfo stats and profile. He was the ineligible player that meant Yorkshire lost their t20 quarter finals place in 2008. If I remember rightly it was Glamorgan who benefited from that decision.
    Sorry, I've only loosely followed this whole story, but what is the drug test issue?

Sorry, I've only loosely followed this whole story, but what is the drug test issue?
    Cricketers are subject to random hair sample tests and he alleges Yorkshire allowed Ballance to miss tests to cover recreational drug and aolchohol use and covered a failed test with missing citing health issues.

But I do agree with your point about the media suddenly remembering the "Wales' bit when there is bad news to report.

That sort of biased reporting has been going on for decades.

There's a really good piece by Andy Bull today which has some horrific examples of what he endured.

These really are hard to read - here's an extract:

'What was it Steve Brine MP said on Tuesday, the moment after Azeem Rafiq had just finished speaking about how he didn’t want his own son to go anywhere near cricket? “In conclusion then, by how many will we win the Ashes?” Thanks for getting back to what’s important, Steve, Rafiq’s testimony really needed the light relief.

Which part got you hardest? The moment a teammate pinned him down and forced him to drink red wine while everyone else stayed silent? The one when the beloved old fast bowler called him “Raffa the Kaffir” and “elephant washer”? The bit where a venerated England captain bluntly contradicted his testimony, supported by two of Rafiq’s teammates, that he told him “there’s too many of you lot”? Or was it when he argued that the reason his teammates can’t recall racist behaviour at Yorkshire was because it was so normal that it became forgettable? Or when he said he felt the players’ union called the police on him just so they would have proof they’d tried to do something useful if he killed himself?

That horror you’re feeling, the chill, the nausea, the hurt, all that unease and discomfort, don’t turn away from it. It’s necessary. Without it, nothing will change.
    '

The whole thing sickens me.

Horrible racist bullying culture.

At least Hoggard and Lloyd have apologised bu those comments. I mean seriously WTF!!

Ballance I really wish that tw@t had shared a dressing room with Curtly Ambrose.

Makes you wonder with Ollie Robinsons historic tweets how widespread this was. Was he in a culture where it was just considered normal.

I love cricket but this just makes me consider turning my back on it.

2005 one of the greatest series. Dont want to watch any more replays or highlights.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    The whole thing sickens me.

Horrible racist bullying culture.

At least Hoggard and Lloyd have apologised bu those comments. I mean seriously WTF!!

Ballance I really wish that tw@t had shared a dressing room with Curtly Ambrose.

Makes you wonder with Ollie Robinsons historic tweets how widespread this was. Was he in a culture where it was just considered normal.

I love cricket but this just makes me consider turning my back on it.

2005 one of the greatest series. Dont want to watch any more replays or highlights.
    You've summed up how I feel about the game now too. It's going to take a monumental effort to sort this out and I believe it has to be transparent. It's actually heartbreaking.