+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gavin Whyte

Gavin Whyte

Played in an all ex-Cardiff front two with Magennis for Northern Ireland in the 0 - 0 draw with Italy last night.

The Belfast Telegraph said
    "Gavin Whyte 8/10: Got Tonali a booking and looked lively going forward in his first competitive game since March. Didn’t hesitate to help team"

Re: Gavin Whyte

Quote Originally Posted by PhyllisStant View Post
    Played in an all ex-Cardiff front two with Magennis for Northern Ireland in the 0 - 0 draw with Italy last night.

The Belfast Telegraph said
    "Gavin Whyte 8/10: Got Tonali a booking and looked lively going forward in his first competitive game since March. Didn’t hesitate to help team"
    He's played games for Oxford recently?

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    He's online there and doing well according to one of Oxford's fans I had a chat with the other day. She would be happy to keep him at the club. We could do with him back.

Never looked good enough for us

Probably deserves a chance under the new regime.

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    I think they mean first competitive game for NI since March. Given our lack of pace, wingers and budget I thin we have to utilise him.

Quote Originally Posted by 19bluebirds27 View Post
    Probably deserves a chance under the new regime.
    Agreed. Give him a go and he could flourish.

Always wondered if he could make a decent wing back, but he seems to be operating through the middle a lot more these days

Quote Originally Posted by IanD View Post
    Agreed. Give him a go and he could flourish.
    Based on what? He's had plenty of chances. He doesn't do anything apart from work hard. He's not scored and has 1 assist in 14 games this season. He's not even starting every week for Oxford. Hull didn't want him back. He's not good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Based on what? He's had plenty of chances. He doesn't do anything apart from work hard. He's not scored and has 1 assist in 14 games this season. He's not even starting every week for Oxford. Hull didn't want him back. He's not good enough.
    Hard worker is what we need at full back/wing back but do get what you’re saying

£2m well spent then

That's harsh. I'd take a hard worker over the flaccid lot I've paid to watch this season. Have you seen where we are in the table? We're never going to get any money back unless we play him and if he's bloody good enough to play for Northern Ireland and help to hold Italy to a 0-0 draw, he's certainly bloody good enough to play for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    That's harsh. I'd take a hard worker over the flaccid lot I've paid to watch this season. Have you seen where we are in the table? We're never going to get any money back unless we play him and if he's bloody good enough to play for Northern Ireland and help to hold Italy to a 0-0 draw, he's certainly bloody good enough to play for us.
    I wouldn’t say we are where we are because of lack of effort, I think everyone has put a shift in but lack of structure and tactics has cost us.

Although I do think he is worth keeping.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Hard worker is what we need at full back/wing back but do get what you’re saying
    But he's never played at full-back or wing-back.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    I wouldn’t say we are where we are because of lack of effort, I think everyone has put a shift in but lack of structure and tactics has cost us.

Although I do think he is worth keeping.
    Yes to a lack of structure and tactics but there's been some lazy and sloppy performances by senior pros too. A record 8 defeats and a GD of -14 doesn't let the players off the hook. Mick was mad as a March hare though.

He may end up being not good enough, but I'd rather it was decided with the new manager taking a look first.

There was obviously something there for him to be signed in the first place. Though with hindsight I'd have taken Lowe first..

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    But he's never played at full-back or wing-back.
    I've always thought he may do well there too, know he hasn't played there but, at least under warnocks tactics I thought he could do a job there. Not to say he could obviously..

Played 31 times for us.

Based on what he's shown so far in a Cardiff shirt and when I've watched him play for Northern Ireland, I think we're struggling if we're relying on players like Gavin Whyte.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Based on what he's shown so far in a Cardiff shirt and when I've watched him play for Northern Ireland, I think we're struggling if we're relying on players like Gavin Whyte.
    Aren't we struggling at the moment though Bob? Do you really think he'd not play well under Steve Morison? I know we've placed all our chips on youth but we're still in a financial conundrum. I want him to do well enough for us so we can at least try and offload him for some much-needed cash. Genuinely, what am I missing here?

Aren't we struggling at the moment though Bob? Do you really think he'd not play well under Steve Morison? I know we've placed all our chips on youth but we're still in a financial conundrum. I want him to do well enough for us so we can at least try and offload him for some much-needed cash. Genuinely, what am I missing here?
    We’re in fight to stay in the Championship, logic suggests we need players of Championship quality to win that fight. I see nothing in Gavin Whyte’s career since he moved to his first EFL career to indicate that, in his mid twenties, he’s anything better than a good League One player. That’s the level he was at in his first spell at Oxford, he then couldn’t keep his place at Cardiff and was loaned to another League One club that won promotion while he was there, but, although I’m guessing they definitely could have him on loan this season as well, they chose not to do so for the higher level they are now at, so he finds himself back in League One with Oxford - we need better than that.

Its been said that they(Morison etc.) have watched Watters playing and have been impressed so I can see him coming back and he may well flourish under the new management but if they are watching Whyte too then I havent heard anything yet.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    We’re in fight to stay in the Championship, logic suggests we need players of Championship quality to win that fight. I see nothing in Gavin Whyte’s career since he moved to his first EFL career to indicate that, in his mid twenties, he’s anything better than a good League One player. That’s the level he was at in his first spell at Oxford, he then couldn’t keep his place at Cardiff and was loaned to another League One club that won promotion while he was there, but, although I’m guessing they definitely could have him on loan this season as well, they chose not to do so for the higher level they are now at, so he finds himself back in League One with Oxford - we need better than that.
    OK, I get that and certainly respect your analysis but how is 'championship quality' measured? Wintle, most would say, is passing the test but what of Watters, say, who's not playing at that level? Also, isn't the only true measure of championship quality one where a player has been successful over a season and has been part of a successful (as in non-relegated) side? How does that square with our youth policy? I get that you don't rate Whyte and that's cool. But surely we have to be careful that we don't allow our own bias and wishful thinking (I'm not talking about you here BTW) to objectively assess our dogfight capabilities. We've a terrible record of prematurely or inappropriately writing players off at Cardiff so I guess I'm just playing devils advocate in order to understand why this happens.

OK, I get that and certainly respect your analysis but how is 'championship quality' measured? Wintle, most would say, is passing the test but what of Watters, say, who's not playing at that level? Also, isn't the only true measure of championship quality one where a player has been successful over a season and has been part of a successful (as in non-relegated) side? How does that square with our youth policy? I get that you don't rate Whyte and that's cool. But surely we have to be careful that we don't allow our own bias and wishful thinking (I'm not talking about you here BTW) to objectively assess our dogfight capabilities. We've a terrible record of prematurely or inappropriately writing players off at Cardiff so I guess I'm just playing devils advocate in order to understand why this happens.
    I worded that badly at the end...I meant to write 'But surely we have to be careful that we don't allow our own bias and wishful thinking (I'm not talking about you here BTW) to get in the way of objectively assessing our dogfight capabilities

Players tend to find their natural level, or have it found for them - at twenty six in two months time, Whyte is not in the promising youngster category any more and he's still being signed for League One clubs.