+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Name of song played at the end on TV?

Name of song played at the end on TV?

Welsh language tune? Any ideas what it's called?

Re: Name of song played at the end on TV?

You on about Yma o hyd?

That's the one cheers. On the play list in the car

Never heard that before. Very passionate and stirring.

Yma o hyd. I love the tune, although it's definitely indicative of the FAW going down the nationalist route somewhat

Great sing along considering the majority won't know the words.

It can be applied to our chances of qualification so quite topical.

Sung at Wrexham a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Yma o hyd. I love the tune, although it's definitely indicative of the FAW going down the nationalist route somewhat
    imagine!

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    imagine!
    all the people

Do you think? No different to Fields of Athenry, Flower of Scotland or There were 10 German bombers in the air.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    Do you think? No different to Fields of Athenry, Flower of Scotland or There were 10 German bombers in the air.
    I like Dafydd Iwans music and I particularly like that song as it goes, but he is undeniably a controversial figure, served time for it too.

It is probably comparable to the Fields of Athenry, less so Flower of Scotland which is the Scottish national anthem. Comparing it to 'Ten German Bombers' is damning!

It is a very nationalistic song, closely linked to independence. I'm not totally sure the FAW should go down this route if I'm perfectly honest.

I like Dafydd Iwans music and I particularly like that song as it goes, but he is undeniably a controversial figure, served time for it too.

It is probably comparable to the Fields of Athenry, less so Flower of Scotland which is the Scottish national anthem. Comparing it to 'Ten German Bombers' is damning!

It is a very nationalistic song, closely linked to independence. I'm not totally sure the FAW should go down this route if I'm perfectly honest.
    What's so nationalistic to say "we're still here" despite everything that others have thrown at us over the centuries?

Didn't know you were a Welsh speaker, which parts of the lyrics closely link it to independence in your view?

The song dedicated to our greatest ever player includes the line "f*ck the union jack", I don't think the FAW have much of a choice at this point they're just following the crowd. Supporting the national team is inherently a nationalistic thing

They've started playing Yma o Hyd at Cardiff games too

Didn't know you were a Welsh speaker, which parts of the lyrics closely link it to independence in your view?
    Let's not be naïve about it. It's clearly a nationalistic song, like Rule Britannia, Four Green Fields, God Bless the USA; there are many examples.

The lyrics don't need to be explicit, but it is both a great folk song, a rousing tune, but also, increasingly a rallying cry for Welsh nationalism / independence. It just is. Songs have meanings and can be interpreted in different ways, we all know that.

Like I said, I like the song, I own a couple of Dafydd Iwan CD's, but I'm surprised the FAW are giving it such prominence tbh, and quite clearly they are going down that 'tub thumping, wrap yourself in the flag' route.

https://nation.cymru/news/yma-o-hyd-...for-no-1-spot/

We learned Yma O HYD with a male voice choir I used to conduct. One cretin in the committee objected strongly to us singing this in public, citing the nationalism argument. I asked him the same question and obviously didn't get an answer.

Another guy wouldn't sing the last verse due to a reference to Maggie Thatcher!! Sadly the choir was made up quite predominantly of old right wing Tory supporting men who didn't really like the song. Shame. Lots of other choirs sing it.

I haven't got a direct answer to prove my point as one doesn't exist, but I'll still write 3 paragraphs of utter bollocks and find a link to support my feeble opinion

http://shitlink.com
    Edited for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Edited for you.
    Wow, strong argument you are making there.

Wow, strong argument you are making there.
    If the Ku Klux Klan started singing I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas as their anthem, would you say the song would be one about White Supremacism?

Let's not be naïve about it. It's clearly a nationalistic song, like Rule Britannia, Four Green Fields, God Bless the USA; there are many examples.

The lyrics don't need to be explicit, but it is both a great folk song, a rousing tune, but also, increasingly a rallying cry for Welsh nationalism / independence. It just is. Songs have meanings and can be interpreted in different ways, we all know that.

Like I said, I like the song, I own a couple of Dafydd Iwan CD's, but I'm surprised the FAW are giving it such prominence tbh, and quite clearly they are going down that 'tub thumping, wrap yourself in the flag' route.

https://nation.cymru/news/yma-o-hyd-...for-no-1-spot/
    It's the Football Association of Wales, of course they're going down the 'tub thumping, wrap yourself in the flag' route, what do you expect them to do, pretend Wales is shit and no one should care?

And also you didn't answer the question, as a Welsh speaker which lines link it closely to independence?

If the Ku Klux Klan started singing I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas as their anthem, would you say the song would be one about White Supremacism?
    You've somehow outdone Godwins law with some kind of weird new reference to the KKK - all whilst trying to argue the song in question isn't inherently political.

Amazing!

You've somehow outdone Godwins law with some kind of weird new reference to the KKK - all whilst trying to argue the song in question isn't inherently political.

Amazing!
    So tell me, within the actual lyrics, how the song promotes nationalism and independence. It's quite a simple task. A quote will suffice.

So tell me, within the actual lyrics, how the song promotes nationalism and independence. It's quite a simple task. A quote will suffice.
    To answer you and Delmbox, the lyrics don't, but the song has become a rallying cry for it, and I provided an article on that.

I hope you don't listen to the Beatles btw. Your literal interpretation of lyrics will drive you half mad. "He clearly states that he is a Walrus!"