+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Name of song played at the end on TV?

Re: Name of song played at the end on TV?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    To answer you and Delmbox, the lyrics don't, but the song has become a rallying cry for it, and I provided an article on that.

I hope you don't listen to the Beatles btw. Your literal interpretation of lyrics will drive you half mad. "He clearly states that he is a Walrus!"
    To be honest I'm just glad that you can actually read the lyrics and aren't just on here telling us what the song means when not being able to read the language they're written in, which would be ridiculous even for you and your ego

To answer you and Delmbox, the lyrics don't, but the song has become a rallying cry for it, and I provided an article on that.

I hope you don't listen to the Beatles btw. Your literal interpretation of lyrics will drive you half mad. "He clearly states that he is a Walrus!"
    Fantastic, so any song that gets used by a group of people for whatever reason automatically acquires the viewpoint of those people. I'll congratulate D:Ream on writing a centre left song as it must be that since Labour used it as an election rallying cry. My next door neighbour is a vegan. She sings The Power Of Love most mornings. Has Jennifer Rush's anthem become one celebrating veganism?

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    To be honest I'm just glad that you can actually read the lyrics and aren't just on here telling us what the song means when not being able to read the language they're written in, which would be ridiculous even for you and your ego
    As opposed to your ego that seems to fly off in fits of rage if anyone dare deviate from it?

I've said I like the song, but Dafydd Iwan isn't without controversy. Simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Fantastic, so any song that gets used by a group of people for whatever reason automatically acquires the viewpoint of those people. I'll congratulate D:Ream on writing a centre left song as it must be that since Labour used it as an election rallying cry. My next door neighbour is a vegan. She sings The Power Of Love most mornings. Has Jennifer Rush's anthem become one celebrating veganism?
    The examples you use to illustrate your arguments need some work. I provided a link to an article on nation.cymru. You mentioned your next door neighbour and some weird stuff about the KKK.

https://nation.cymru/news/yma-o-hyd-...for-no-1-spot/

As opposed to your ego that seems to fly off in fits of rage if anyone dare deviate from it?
    behave yourself

The examples you use to illustrate your arguments need some work. I provided a link to an article on nation.cymru. You mentioned your next door neighbour and some weird stuff about the KKK.

https://nation.cymru/news/yma-o-hyd-...for-no-1-spot/
    Let’s pick this apart.

Your first gambit was to say “It is a very nationalistic song, closely linked to independence.”

You quickly changed your tune to “the lyrics don't (promote nationalism and independence)". Therefore, according to your own words, the song is not about nationalism or independence. Marvellous. We agree that it is not a song about nationalism or independence.

Let’s then look at the next bit – your claim that, because some Welsh nationalists and independentists sing it as “a rallying cry”, that means the song is about nationalism or independence, despite your previous claim (in the same sentence) that it isn’t.

My response is simple – if a song is used by a group of people, does it become representative of that group and take on a whole new meaning despite the lyrics being to the contrary? Of course it doesn’t, otherwise you’d be forced into agreeing with my examples. The scenario of the KKK singing “White Christmas” is somewhat laughable, but hypothetically suppose they did adopt the song as their anthem? By your own definition of Yma O Hyd being a song about Welsh Nationalism through association with some people who sing it, you’d have to agree that “White Christmas” was a song about White Supremacy if the KKK adopted it, even though the lyrics don’t suggest it at all.

That’s why it’s such a fecking daft suggestion from you.

I like Dafydd Iwans music and I particularly like that song as it goes, but he is undeniably a controversial figure, served time for it too.

It is probably comparable to the Fields of Athenry, less so Flower of Scotland which is the Scottish national anthem. Comparing it to 'Ten German Bombers' is damning!

It is a very nationalistic song, closely linked to independence. I'm not totally sure the FAW should go down this route if I'm perfectly honest.
    You don't really think I was comparing the first three songs with 'Ten German bombers'?

I was making a subtle point. Perhaps too subtle?

I've always assumed the patriotism and promotion of Welsh culture was a marketing strategy used by the FAW?

https://amp.theguardian.com/football...de-the-country

Interesting article.

Yma o hyd. I love the tune, although it's definitely indicative of the FAW going down the nationalist route somewhat
    Bloody snowflakes, can't do anything without this woke nonsense these days

I love it being played at The CCS before The Bluebirds come out. Really stirring

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    You don't really think I was comparing the first three songs with 'Ten German bombers'?

I was making a subtle point. Perhaps too subtle?

I've always assumed the patriotism and promotion of Welsh culture was a marketing strategy used by the FAW?

https://amp.theguardian.com/football...de-the-country

Interesting article.
    That's a really interesting article and I'm glad you posted it because I missed it. I'm really impressed with what the FAW are doing after reading that.

I remember the first time I heard Yma o hyd down the City but can't remember the game, Ali played it.

Tune-wise he was the master.

I like Dafydd Iwans music and I particularly like that song as it goes, but he is undeniably a controversial figure, served time for it too.

It is probably comparable to the Fields of Athenry, less so Flower of Scotland which is the Scottish national anthem. Comparing it to 'Ten German Bombers' is damning!

It is a very nationalistic song, closely linked to independence. I'm not totally sure the FAW should go down this route if I'm perfectly honest.
    you do realise that Flower of Scotland is a relatively new anthem started off as a folk song sung by the Corries released in 1967, it was sung at football and rugby from the 70s on and adopted as the unofficial anthem by Scots.
    Before that Scotland the brave or the porridge song was used a lot just shows how things evolve

For some reason, Yma O Hyd was played, very loudly, at various times through the summer of 2016 in my house.

https://lyricstranslate.com/en/yma-o...till-here.html

I suppose some people get annoyed by the reference to "Maggie and her crew"

Who cares if it is does signify independence (I don't think it does, but it hits the spot for most Welsh people in a way that I'd say "God save the Queen" or "Rule Britannia" doesn't)?

Is there anything more offensive than a welsh song being played at a Wales match?

I’ve tweeted my MP in utter disgust.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

I suppose some people get annoyed by the reference to "Maggie and her crew"
    Ah so the real reason James is taking offense is clear now. What a drip.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Ah so the real reason James is taking offense is clear now. What a drip.
    The Welsh Football team is there to represent all people in Wales. It shouldn't be endorsing songs with lyrics that criticise certain groups IMO. You would no doubt think the same in reverse. I'm just consistent.

I was thinking about this all, alas at 5am whilst I couldn't sleep, and I can see Eric the Half Bee's and Delmbox's point. They are right. The association of something with something else doesn't mean it has to be only associated with that. I would make the same argument on flags being used by certain groups, or other songs with dubious lyrics. Even Men of Harlech which is associated with the film Zulu for many, does not mean it carries baggage of being pro the British Empire etc. Context is everything afterall.

My point however is still that it is a politically loaded song, as well as being a great folk song. We all know that. It does carry other meaning based on who sang it and recent political campaigns that use the song.

I can foresee more turbulent political times in the coming years for Wales as the Independence debate hots up and becomes, by nature, more divisive. Within that, I can foresee this song becoming more associated with that movement. The FAW could then find themselves in a difficult position of deciding whether to continue with it or not. For that reason, I just think it's too political and they may be wise to focus on it a little less. It may be something they don't want to become overly associated with, that's my point.

Don’t know if anyone else has posted the translation

The Welsh Football team is there to represent all people in Wales. It shouldn't be endorsing songs with lyrics that criticise certain groups IMO. You would no doubt think the same in reverse. I'm just consistent.
    Ever heard God Save the Queen in its entirety?

Maggie lives matter!

I think you’re being a bit precious here in all honesty.

Although I can see why this bit would trigger you

Let the tears of the faint-hearted flow,
    and the servile lick the floor.

I don't have a problem with its association with the FAW, Welsh football and a drive towards independence.

I don't, though, understand why it's being played at CCFC matches other than to further fire up the Welshness of the club, something I've never felt entirely comfortable with considering we play in the English Football League.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    I don't have a problem with its association with the FAW, Welsh football and a drive towards independence.

I don't, though, understand why it's being played at CCFC matches other than to further fire up the Welshness of the club, something I've never felt entirely comfortable with considering we play in the English Football League.
    Cardiff is in Wales mate

Cardiff is in Wales mate
    Thanks for that. That's cleared that up then, mate.

Cardiff is in Wales mate
    So why don't we play in the Cymru Premier?

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    So why don't we play in the Cymru Premier?
    Long history of playing in the football league structure since it’s early inception to help it become what it is today.

I don’t see how a welsh team singing a welsh song undermines that at all.