+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Play off place secured

Play off place secured

Spain beating Greece tonight guarantees them at least 2nd place in their group, and Wales a play off place.

Wales just officially secured a World Cup play-off place

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...wsApp_AppShare

Re: Play off place secured

Fantastic, I never thought I'd see us in a major tournament. To see them in a World Cup would be the icing, cherry and anything else you want to throw on the cake.

That would still leave 2 huge and difficult games against a list I wouldn’t be confident of overcoming. Let’s just hope so.

We really need to finish second in our group and hope that’s enough to secure a home draw in the play offs.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    We really need to finish second in our group and hope that’s enough to secure a home draw in the play offs.
    This is how I see it.

I don’t think many would fancy getting Wales either.
    We now need to put the effort in these 2 games to secure a runners up spot (maybe more) for the home semi - nothing has altered that mindset tonight.

used to be a time when we could only have dreamt of a play-off spot for qualification

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    Fantastic, I never thought I'd see us in a major tournament. To see them in a World Cup would be the icing, cherry and anything else you want to throw on the cake.

Hundreds & thousands

Home tie?..then someone mentioned 2 legs..which is right?

Scotland away anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Hundreds & thousands
    It's a deal 🤣

Quote Originally Posted by kendoddsdadsdogsdead View Post
    Home tie?..then someone mentioned 2 legs..which is right?
    Home tie (if seeded) for a 1 leg semi-final. Destination of final is done with a tombola to see who of the competing teams plays at home.

I can’t help but think that unless we get a fully fit Ramsey and Bale in the play offs, we won’t be qualifying.

Now if Estonia could pull off a win against Belgium…

4 points from the next two ought to get us a home tie. Beat Estonia and pray we can get a result against Belgium

Scotland away anyone?
    No home nations thank you

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    4 points from the next two ought to get us a home tie. Beat Estonia and pray we can get a result against Belgium
    I’d prefer we beat Belarus. Four points will guarantee second but it will be incredibly tight for a home play off. We might just make 6th best second place team which would give us a home draw but it is tight.

We're talking about getting a point off the number one team in the world..we couldn't even beat the number one hundred and thirty fifth team at home..only hope we have is if estonia draw against the czechs.

Anyone watch Italy v Switzerland last night?. Great game - finished 1-1, both teams locked on 15 points so all resting on the final games. Swiss could have nicked it at the end, very much against the run of play.

I wouldn't fancy either in the play-offs, if that's even possible.

Scotland away anyone?
    Yes please. A 1-0 Wales win thanks to dodgy penalty decision.

Can’t see how we finish 2nd realistically. We’d have to stuff a few on Belarus tonight and lose by just the one v Belgium. Can’t see it

Quote Originally Posted by EastbourneBlue View Post
    Can’t see how we finish 2nd realistically. We’d have to stuff a few on Belarus tonight and lose by just the one v Belgium. Can’t see it
    Nope. Beat Belarus and draw with Belgium. That might not be enough for a home play off though. We could do with Denmark beating Scotland

Nope. Beat Belarus and draw with Belgium. That might not be enough for a home play off though. We could do with Denmark beating Scotland
    4 points will most likely get us a home playoff, we'd overtake Scotland

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    4 points will most likely get us a home playoff, we'd overtake Scotland
    We need Scotland to lose. If they get a draw they are on 15 points when their points against the bottom team in their group are deducted We would have to draw v Belgium to get to 15 points. It then boils down to goal difference I guess. It’s very tight.

If we can get a draw v Belgium and Scotland don’t win we should finish above them either with more points or through a better goal difference in the fight to finish in the top six seeds.

We Global Football
    @We_Global
    ·
    13h
    Projected UEFA World Cup playoffs (13 November)

Home:
    Serbia
    Sweden
    Croatia
    Switzerland
    Poland
    Wales

Away:
    Scotland
    Turkey
    North Macedonia
    Finland