+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Scotland and Wales- haven’t achieved anything yet

Re: Scotland and Wales- haven’t achieved anything yet

Sometimes being in your mid sixties is a good thing, it gives you the memories of the bad days that makes you appreciate the good ones all the more. With one exception in 1976, it’s only in the last five years that Wales having been racking measurable achievements up in the time I’ve been following them. Wales have been in the top twenty of the FIFA rankings for six years I think it is now, so what they’ve been doing lately is no fluke - until 2015, I would have been amazed to see us in the top twenty for six weeks, never mind six years.

We might not have achieved qualification yet, but we’ve got as good a chance of qualifying for a World Cup as we’ve had in my football supporting life. If we reached the Final, I’d be pretty confident no matter who we were drawn against if it was at home (Italy would be very tough, but I’d fancy us against the Portugal that played the Republc of Ireland and Serbia this week).

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    How about , you are celebrating about hopefully getting to a tournament that will look like no other before , in a country that has shocking human rights conditions ?
    Even if Scotland get there ( or Wales ) I won’t be going .
    Ah the old I've made myself look stupid by trying to be different so I'm going to chance the subject completely.

I never celebrate anything, I don't understand why anyone does when the crippling inevitability of death looms so large on the horizon making all life's achievments utterly pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Surely there is no way people should be applauding you before someone else may trump your comment with something even more profound?
    I sometimes tell them that and they stop applauding, and look at me in quiet awe.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Sometimes being in your mid sixties is a good thing, it gives you the memories of the bad days that makes you appreciate the good ones all the more. With one exception in 1976, it’s only in the last five years that Wales having been racking measurable achievements up in the time I’ve been following them. Wales have been in the top twenty of the FIFA rankings for six years I think it is now, so what they’ve been doing lately is no fluke - until 2015, I would have been amazed to see us in the top twenty for six weeks, never mind six years.

We might not have achieved qualification yet, but we’ve got as good a chance of qualifying for a World Cup as we’ve had in my football supporting life. If we reached the Final, I’d be pretty confident no matter who we were drawn against if it was at home (Italy would be very tough, but I’d fancy us against the Portugal that played the Republc of Ireland and Serbia this week).
    Dont agree its as good a chance. Scotland at home we should have won comfortably for 86. Romania home. Didnt we have a home game against Russia or was that the Euros.

Weve got to win 2 games and really need our big 2 players fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Dont agree its as good a chance. Scotland at home we should have won comfortably for 86. Romania home. Didnt we have a home game against Russia or was that the Euros.

Weve got to win 2 games and really need our big 2 players fit.
    We’ve got a much better team than in 86 and 93 when we had three or four great players and not a great deal else - Bale and Ramsey don’t have a great deal to do with why we’ve been so hard to score against in Cardiff in particular in the last six years or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Ah the old I've made myself look stupid by trying to be different so I'm going to chance the subject completely.

I never celebrate anything, I don't understand why anyone does when the crippling inevitability of death looms so large on the horizon making all life's achievments utterly pointless.
    Not at all . I quite happy about my stance on this.

Your comments I find a little more irritating.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Oh come on now don't pretend that that's what this thread is about because you're getting a walloping
    I felt it was an excellent deflection. Delme the crusaders for everyone's rights is cheering on a team striving to get to a country that isn't interested in anyone's rights.

A walloping from the gang.... that will be the day

Your comments I find a little more irritating.
    Good

We’ve got a much better team than in 86 and 93 when we had three or four great players and not a great deal else - Bale and Ramsey don’t have a great deal to do with why we’ve been so hard to score against in Cardiff in particular in the last six years or so.
    There are more places to qualify for the euros these days of course, but the improvement from wales is definitely more than just that. We used to *almost* qualify for a tournament about once every 10 years, now we've qualified for 2 and within a couple of games of another, that's a big improvement.

I felt it was an excellent deflection. Delme the crusaders for everyone's rights is cheering on a team striving to get to a country that isn't interested in anyone's rights.

A walloping from the gang.... that will be the day
    It was a phenomenal deflection but I'm not sure I crusade for everyone's rights, although that is a lovely thing to say about me. And I'm cheering for my nation winning a football match last night, whether I go to Qatar myself if we get there is something I haven't decided yet to be honest, your point is completely valid about it of course, believe me I've been thinking a lot about it.

It was a phenomenal deflection but I'm not sure I crusade for everyone's rights, although that is a lovely thing to say about me. And I'm cheering for my nation winning a football match last night, whether I go to Qatar myself if we get there is something I haven't decided yet to be honest, your point is completely valid about it of course, believe me I've been thinking a lot about it.
    It's not like the fans ever wanted Qatar as a location why should they be the ones to suffer while FIFA continue to makes millions from it.

With this attitude it'd be pointless celebrating any win because it doesn't mean anything until whatever you're aiming for has been fully achieved, if that's how we should approach sport then it's a sad state of affairs, it's meant to be fun.
    BANG ON

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Very difficult, only a quarter of the play off teams will make it. But we still have a chance this time.
    Better odds than the group. Only 1/6th go through. Just need to win 2 games in a row, one guaranteed to be at home.

3 or 4 great players and little else? Very very harsh. Take a look at a picture of our 93 playing squad for the qualifiers. Far from that. 86 as well I presume Hughes Rush Ratcliffe Southall are the great players but Robbie James , Peter Nicholas , Curtis , Phillips , Mickey Thomas. They were far from little else.

Even if we don’t qualify it’s still been a successful campaign. We finished second in the group with a point against the world’s number one and 4 points against our main rivals for second. That will stand us in good stead for future seedlings and qualification campaigns.

It’ll be tough in the play offs as I expect Portugal and Italy to be kept apart and drawn at home for their semi and final. That leaves one team out of the remaining 10 to qualify

Good
    I have sent you a PM .
    Fancy responding?

I have sent you a PM .
    Fancy responding?
    I'm not interested in hookups thanks

Crazy how half of ccmb always want to meet up for a fight over a tiny bit of piss taking. Maybe the word snowflake has been thrown around a bit too liberally on this board the whole time!

Quote Originally Posted by Grangenders View Post
    Even if we don’t qualify it’s still been a successful campaign. We finished second in the group with a point against the world’s number one and 4 points against our main rivals for second. That will stand us in good stead for future seedlings and qualification campaigns.

It’ll be tough in the play offs as I expect Portugal and Italy to be kept apart and drawn at home for their semi and final. That leaves one team out of the remaining 10 to qualify

..are you saying that the draw will be fixed?
    ..or it a fact that those 2 teams will be kept apart?

Quote Originally Posted by Grangenders View Post

Crazy how half of ccmb always want to meet up for a fight over a tiny bit of piss taking. Maybe the word snowflake has been thrown around a bit too liberally on this board the whole time!
    Why does it have to be for that? Why can't it be to talk amicably out of the way of the public board and save another pointless argument online?

What's piss taking about a condescending post?

You weren't piss taking with the initial post let's be honest. I'm not saying you were entirely serious, but you must understand the tone of your post and how the words yoy used may not come off as "piss taking" as in posting in a playful nature. They were confrontational at the least.

I know I'm no angel but if I post like you have then I won't palm it off as a piss take..I know what I am I'm well aware of how I'm perceived. Let's hold our hands up here and say it as it was.

Ivor the Obvious

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Ivor the Obvious
    It's achieving its purpose.

I have sent you a PM .
    Fancy responding?
    Good grief. You've sent a private message to an anonymous person on an anonymous message board and haven't received a reply but wanted the world to know that you've sent the anonymous "private" message? And all because you have different opinion to other folk and are not reacting well to the majority disagreeing with you? What happened to a world in which we could debate? I guess that ended when the internet arose. The arguments moved from the pub to the sanctuary of the keyboard.