+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Scotland and Wales- haven’t achieved anything yet

Scotland and Wales- haven’t achieved anything yet

Both countries have qualified for the Play Offs. And that’s all. Come next March when the semi finals begin, both teams will be playing at home. It may be an advantage.Both Steve Clarke and Robert Page have done really well to get this far, but they haven’t done anything yet. The expectation levels of both sets of fans will be sky high ,but could easily fall apart. Even if both teams reach their own final , they will definitely be coming up against a pretty good side, could even be Italy or Portugal ,in a one off game. I think a sense of realism is required here, and don’t get carried away too soon. It will still take a huge effort and maybe a slice of luck to join the world’s elite teams in Qatar.Just remember that, for the time being.

Re: Scotland and Wales- haven’t achieved anything yet

Quote Originally Posted by Ivortheengine View Post
    Both countries have qualified for the Play Offs. And that’s all. Come next March when the semi finals begin, both teams will be playing at home. It may be an advantage.Both Steve Clarke and Robert Page have done really well to get this far, but they haven’t done anything yet. The expectation levels of both sets of fans will be sky high ,but could easily fall apart. Even if both teams reach their own final , they will definitely be coming up against a pretty good side, could even be Italy or Portugal ,in a one off game. I think a sense of realism is required here, and don’t get carried away too soon. It will still take a huge effort and maybe a slice of luck to join the world’s elite teams in Qatar.Just remember that, for the time being.
    Yes it is still a very difficult task to qualify from here - this isn't the euros qualifying which has been made a lot easier, only 13 from europe will go to the world cup so it is still a very difficult task

Cheer up.

So they have achieved something then?

Cheer up.

Very difficult, only a quarter of the play off teams will make it. But we still have a chance this time.

We need Bale and Ramsey to find some youth formula between now and then.

Thanks for stating the obvious.

Finishing 2nd in the group is an achievement in itself. 1 defeat from the 8 game, and that against the top ranked team in the world.

We’ve guaranteed ourselves at least one occasion in March. Happy days

Yes, don't enjoy finishing 2nd in the group with a great performance a little over 12 hours ago. It's important that as fans who have no part to play in the actual games that you MUST remember the negatives.

BANG ON .

A lot of jubilation about nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    BANG ON .

A lot of jubilation about nothing.
    With this attitude it'd be pointless celebrating any win because it doesn't mean anything until whatever you're aiming for has been fully achieved, if that's how we should approach sport then it's a sad state of affairs, it's meant to be fun.

I don't want to join the negative nellys, but we're a few injuries away from having a bang average team. And our best players are very injury prone.

BUT

Ward
    Roberts Rodon Davies Neco
    Allen Ampadu
    Bale Ramsey James
    Moore

This team can beat anyone in a one off game..

Depends what you mean by 'achieve'.
    We've achieved more than all the teams who haven't qualified for either the finals themselves or the playoffs.
    You could argue that the only team that achieves anything in this whole process is the team that wins the World Cup itself.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    With this attitude it'd be pointless celebrating any win because it doesn't mean anything until whatever you're aiming for has been fully achieved, if that's how we should approach sport then it's a sad state of affairs, it's meant to be fun.
    There are celebrations and celebrations .
    I watched both Scotland and Wales over the last two nights, pleased for both countries but feeling isn't it all a bit premature and over exuberant.

I watched both Scotland and Wales over the last two nights, pleased for both countries but feeling isn't it all a bit premature and over exuberant.
    Can't speak for Scotland but I'm genuinely not sure what you're referring to with Wales to be honest, there's just relief and joy and overcoming the first hurdle and excitement about the playoffs

You have a point to some degree but isn't it akin to a side celebrating that they have just won a play-off semi in the Championship but with the final still to be played? It's a form of success 'in the moment' and there's time for sober reflection on the next game a day or two later. It would be strange if such a victory was met with a simple shrug of the shoulders when the final whistle blows and when a defeat would have put paid to all hope.

With this attitude no one can ever celebrate anything other than after winning a cup final.

It's not like there's been an open top bus parade but countries the size of Scotland and Wales finishing second in their group and punching above their weight should rightly be celebrated. Especially after how shit they have been in the recent past.

I always tell the people around me to stop celebrating goals because the game isn't yet over.

They normally ponder this for a moment and then agree that I am correct. Then everyone applauds me.

I guess we all have different levels of success.
    We are celebrating getting into the play off semis , which we will need to win, to get to the final , which we will need to win , to get to go to the tournament . Which we wont win.
    Yep I get it now , order the bus .

So I can't interest you in a Play-off semi-final home leg qualifier commemorative plate then?

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    I always tell the people around me to stop celebrating goals because the game isn't yet over.

They normally ponder this for a moment and then agree that I am correct. Then everyone applauds me.
    A man after my own heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    So I can't interest you in a Play-off semi-final home leg qualifier commemorative plate then?
    Well of course. Mark me down for one Welsh and one Scottish

I guess we all have different levels of success.
    We are celebrating getting into the play off semis , which we will need to win, to get to the final , which we will need to win , to get to go to the tournament . Which we wont win.
    Yep I get it now , order the bus .
    At what point do you celebrate then Jimmy?!

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post

Surely there is no way people should be applauding you before someone else may trump your comment with something even more profound?

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    At what point do you celebrate then Jimmy?!
    How about , you are celebrating about hopefully getting to a tournament that will look like no other before , in a country that has shocking human rights conditions ?
    Even if Scotland get there ( or Wales ) I won’t be going .

How about , you are celebrating about hopefully getting to a tournament that will look like no other before , in a country that has shocking human rights conditions ?
    Even if Scotland get there ( or Wales ) I won’t be going .
    Oh come on now don't pretend that that's what this thread is about because you're getting a walloping