+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Gas/Electricity Tariffs

Gas/Electricity Tariffs

We're all aware of the hike in prices/tariffs, but I'm a bit confused.

Our current Gas/electric tariff ends on the 21st. According to Martin Lewis/MSE, the 'price cap' is cheaper than any deal available, and says 'do nothing'.

Presumably our supplier SSE will automatically put us on this after the 21st ? The letter I've had from them says they'll automatically switch us on to their standard tariff[s] if we do nothing. Am I right then, in presuming that as per MSE, this will be 'price-capped', and hence the 'best tariff available ?

Ta.

Re: Gas/Electricity Tariffs

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    We're all aware of the hike in prices/tariffs, but I'm a bit confused.

Our current Gas/electric tariff ends on the 21st. According to Martin Lewis/MSE, the 'price cap' is cheaper than any deal available, and says 'do nothing'.

Presumably our supplier SSE will automatically put us on this after the 21st ? The letter I've had from them says they'll automatically switch us on to their standard tariff[s] if we do nothing. Am I right then, in presuming that as per MSE, this will be 'price-capped', and hence the 'best tariff available ?

Ta.
    Your supplier would be the best party to answer that question.

Yes, don't do anything. For the love of God, do not go on a fixed rate tariff under ANY circumstances at the minute. They will be robbing you blind. You should be able to ask what the rates will be however if you're curious.

I'm fixed until Feb. My cuurent monthly was £124, but they've already upped that to £138 as they reckon I've been underpaying for my usage.
    They offered me a new 2-year fix... at £260
    They can shove that where the sun doesn't reach their solar panels.

I just wish they wouldn't advertise fixed rates as "you could save up to XXX"

Why can't they just publish their price per unit/therm?
    MSE should push for this. IMO
    b

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Yes, don't do anything. For the love of God, do not go on a fixed rate tariff under ANY circumstances at the minute. They will be robbing you blind. You should be able to ask what the rates will be however if you're curious.
    Sure, but the bit I'm not 100% certain is whether their 'standard tariff' is variable ? I'm presuming it is because there aren't any fixed rate tariffs available.

Bobh, I’m in the same boat as you, I’m currently paying £140 a month and I’ve been quoted £233 a month, when my deal runs out the end of next month. I’m also in credit for about £170 so can’t work out the increase.

Glad I am living in France....electricity rises capped at 4%.....

Last year I was with British Gas.
    When the fixed period of the contract ended, I price-compared and cancelled BG.
    A few days later (within the cooling-iff time) I had a phone call from BG.
    The upshot was they offered a really good deal to stay with them.

are they not increasing the price cap in the new year, so the energy companies can up the price a fair bit

I was with Green for my gas/electricity.

They went bust a few of months ago. Government appointed Shell as my new provider. I've had a couple of emails but not signed a new DD or paid them any money. I guess at some point they will be expecting me to 'shell' a few quid to get my account up to date

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    I was with Green for my gas/electricity.

They went bust a few of months ago. Government appointed Shell as my new provider. I've had a couple of emails but not signed a new DD or paid them any money. I guess at some point they will be expecting me to 'shell' a few quid to get my account up to date
    Same thing happened with me last month and I’m now with Shell. I paid my normal amount at the end of last month, presumably to Shell?

Please remember the price cap is just based on the average use of electric and gas in a typical household and not the maximum payment you may be charged.

Quote Originally Posted by fred keenor View Post
    Please remember the price cap is just based on the average use of electric and gas in a typical household and not the maximum payment you may be charged.
    Isn't the cap a max price per unit?
    Obviously the more you use , the more you pay - but everyone has that max per unit price??

Anything else isn't a price cap, shirley?

I blame the Russians.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    I blame the Russians.
    Putin is trying to blackmail the west isn’t he? Holding gas reserves back to drive up prices?