+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ROBERT PAGE?

ROBERT PAGE?

Quite a few moaned when his name was linked to the managers job at Cardiff and i for one didn't want him here.
    But to be fair despite the odd game he seems to be doing a fairly decent job for Wales now..
    I know he's managed in the past but he's gained more experience since so would he make a decent manager at club level now?

Re: ROBERT PAGE?

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    Quite a few moaned when his name was linked to the managers job at Cardiff and i for one didn't want him here.
    But to be fair despite the odd game he seems to be doing a fairly decent job for Wales now..
    I know he's managed in the past but he's gained more experience since so would he make a decent manager at club level now?
    The episode of EJFOF recorded straight after the Belgium game is well worth a listen. Iwan Roberts and Danny Gabbidon, especially, were almost gushing about the Welsh performance - Danny called it "ballsy" and there was much praise for the positive Welsh attitude with it's aggressive pressing against what is the best team in the world according to the rankings.

For two ex pros to be so impressed, I think Robert Page's role over the past year or so has to be re examined by many people - I find very little to be critical of him about and recent performances has been very good. I always thought of him as a stopgap appointment, but, assuming Giggs isn't coming back, I'd keep him in charge until the Play offs and then make a decision after that - Page has to be favourite to get the job at the moment though in my opinion.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0b4rj92

Agree Paul. When you look at the team selections he has usually been spot on. This has been a decent qualifying campaign.

I thought he was naive against Denmark in the Euros and when I watched us play against Estonia he rinsed and repeated throughout that match and didn't seem to know how to beat them on our home patch. In fact it was a dire performance at home and we should have won it comfortably.

That said, the performance against Belgium was a great result which we desperately needed. I don't see him as being a very astute club manager but for Wales he's probably the best fit.

I thought the system against Belgium was great, the pressing especially in the 2nd half was very good, Belgium couldn't get out of the 18 yard box at times which cut off the supply to KDB and helped us win the ball back in dangerous areas.

He seems to have grown in the role, International management is very different to club football, could he do it week in week out? Who knows, but his stock is on the rise I's say.

One thing is for certain, he's lead the country very well during a difficult time with the Giggs court case, and done so with a lot of class and passion.

I think Page makes some pretty strange decisions at times, which shows a naivety and lack of experience. On this occasion it paid off in the end but could easily have back fired and against a more committed side who hadn't already qualified easily, probably would have. Not putting any subs on against Belgium, until very late, was odd and a big risk. It could have lead to a defeat and serious injury for one or more of the players, especially Ramsey and Moore, as they were all running on empty at the end. Also, continuing to play a League One midfielder (Morrell), who is of limited ability to say the least, is another strange one. Wilson was the obvious option, who had a good game against Belarus but sat on the bench for 90 minutes this time. People moan about Vaulks being a headless chicken but that is basically all that Morrell is and he was lucky not to pick up a second yellow card in the second half. He tries to make up for his lack of pace with constant niggly fouling and he was lucky that the ref was in such a lenient mood this time.

He's doing well in my opinion, but managing at international level as opposed to club level is massively different on so many levels.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    The episode of EJFOF recorded straight after the Belgium game is well worth a listen. Iwan Roberts and Danny Gabbidon, especially, were almost gushing about the Welsh performance - Danny called it "ballsy" and there was much praise for the positive Welsh attitude with it's aggressive pressing against what is the best team in the world according to the rankings.

For two ex pros to be so impressed, I think Robert Page's role over the past year or so has to be re examined by many people - I find very little to be critical of him about and recent performances has been very good. I always thought of him as a stopgap appointment, but, assuming Giggs isn't coming back, I'd keep him in charge until the Play offs and then make a decision after that - Page has to be favourite to get the job at the moment though in my opinion.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0b4rj92
    What was the stat they said in that episode? We've played 19 games under him and only lost to Belgium, France, Italy and Denmark I think? Lost one game all qualifying, which was away to Belgium. I wasn't too convinced after the Euro's but the tweaks he's made recently have made us look a lot better, I loved the aggressive pressing last night

EDIT - That said, I wouldn't want him at Cardiff right now, totally different world to managing at international level

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    What was the stat they said in that episode? We've played 19 games under him and only lost to Belgium, France, Italy and Denmark I think? Lost one game all qualifying, which was away to Belgium. I wasn't too convinced after the Euro's but the tweaks he's made recently have made us look a lot better, I loved the aggressive pressing last night

EDIT - That said, I wouldn't want him at Cardiff right now, totally different world to managing at international level
    Yeah I just listened to it his record is really good. I agree not sure I'd want him at Cardiff but he's doing a fantastic job with Wales currently, even if I do question how we lined up against Denmark.

The episode is well worth a listen if people have half hour to spare.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    I think Page makes some pretty strange decisions at times, which shows a naivety and lack of experience. On this occasion it paid off in the end but could easily have back fired and against a more committed side who hadn't already qualified easily, probably would have. Not putting any subs on against Belgium, until very late, was odd and a big risk. It could have lead to a defeat and serious injury for one or more of the players, especially Ramsey and Moore, as they were all running on empty at the end. Also, continuing to play a League One midfielder (Morrell), who is of limited ability to say the least, is another strange one. Wilson was the obvious option, who had a good game against Belarus but sat on the bench for 90 minutes this time. People moan about Vaulks being a headless chicken but that is basically all that Morrell is and he was lucky not to pick up a second yellow card in the second half. He tries to make up for his lack of pace with constant niggly fouling and he was lucky that the ref was in such a lenient mood this time.
    How can you compare Morell and Wilson when they're completely different players?

Morell had a good game against Belgium too, did the exact job he was asked to do. If Ampadu isn't fit who else can play where he plays? Because Wilson is definitely not that player.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    How can you compare Morell and Wilson when they're completely different players?

Morell had a good game against Belgium too, did the exact job he was asked to do. If Ampadu isn't fit who else can play where he plays? Because Wilson is definitely not that player.
    Thats the point - Morrell and Wilson are totally different players. Ampadu was playing in the back three anyway, so was replaced by Mepham on this occasion. Morrell came in for Wilson. At the start we needed to try to win the game, so Wilson was the more attacking/skilful option.

Yep, agree with all that. I'll add that I wouldn't have wanted Coleman as Cardiff manager either, when he was doing well for Wales

He's done well, there's no doubt about it. Got to the knockout stage at the euros and now finished second in a world cup qualifying group. (Imagine saying that a decade ago).

I think his 'brand' is just a bit weak. People don't know who he is, what he wants to achieve etc. Plus the last game in the Euros was pretty dire against Denmark.

It's curious though; his record is good. Would I be enthused about him at City though? Probably not.

I agree with this, our midfield were shattered from about the 60th minute onward whilst Moore was completely spent

I think there's a degree of learning on the job from Page and he's getting better with time. For instance against Denmark he was completely outdone tactically by the simple move of pushing Christensen forward, compare that to the Czech away game and the Belgium home game where our tactics were spot on and a little more flexible

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    I agree with this, our midfield were shattered from about the 60th minute onward whilst Moore was completely spent

I think there's a degree of learning on the job from Page and he's getting better with time. For instance against Denmark he was completely outdone tactically by the simple move of pushing Christensen forward, compare that to the Czech away game and the Belgium home game where our tactics were spot on and a little more flexible
    100% agree with you and dml1954 re. the subs. It was an unnecessary gamble not to sub (because of the yellow) and I was amazed Wilson wasn't used especially as we appeared to be looking for a winner. That bit confused and worried me.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post

I also thought Morell had a decent game and Wilson couldn't have done that role.

Page has won me over to be fair, he's doing a fantastic job and I think he's a good fit. I loved how emotional he was at the final whistle and in his post game interview.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    I actually don't agree, although I can see why you're saying it. I was thinking about subs at the time but then thought who do you bring off? They were all playing well and it was a huge team effort, I can see why he didn't want to disrupt the fluency

I actually don't agree, although I can see why you're saying it. I was thinking about subs at the time but then thought who do you bring off? They were all playing well and it was a huge team effort, I can see why he didn't want to disrupt the fluency
    I have some sympathy with Page as there was very little on the bench the only options really were Vaulks or Jonny Williams, but its a bit of a self inflicted problem, there are a number of Welsh midfielders who could have been called up but weren't

I totally agree with the above comments and was bemused as to why he did not put fresh legs on towards the end, Kit Symons was next to him on the touchline at one stage with a clipboard in conversation and Page stood there rubbing his chin looking totally confused as what to do next. Not to sub Morrell early in the second half was a real gamble as with all his best effort he was off the pace in the tackle area which showed in the reason for his yellow card. I thought it was only a matter of time before he was sent off but to his credit he stayed out of the ref's book but that made him ineffective during the later stages.
    There are arguments as to who he would have put on in the midfield area but up front there is no excuse, Wilson or the lad from Leeds should have been introduced earlier. WE have a bit of time before the play off games for Page to come up with a stronger combination in midfield but I believe his lack off experience and closeness to the players will cloud his judgement and we will still see Morrell & Allen in the middle which is our achilles heel

Belgium only fielded half a side. I don't think you can hold that result up as some mark of great management.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    Belgium only fielded half a side. I don't think you can hold that result up as some mark of great management.
    You act like the team they had out was shit, it was still a great team. We were missing bale, ampadu and brookes and still played really well.

I don’t understand people trying to downplay this. They’re the number one team in the world and have great strength in depth. Almost all of those players who started to Belgium would walk into the wales side.

He's done more than OK IMO, and if nothing else, no one is talking about Giggs which again IMO, is a good thing.

Credit to page for last 2 performances but dont understand why we leave experience players out for youngsters who could play for u21.

Chester, King, T Lawrence, Vokes are all players who could be on the bench. King could start instead of Morrell.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhiwbina Blues View Post
    Credit to page for last 2 performances but dont understand why we leave experience players out for youngsters who could play for u21.

Chester, King, T Lawrence, Vokes are all players who could be on the bench. King could start instead of Morrell.
    Are you Neil Warnock?

Quote Originally Posted by Rhiwbina Blues View Post

Andy King?! **** off