+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: A&E and ambulance performance worst ever - again

A&E and ambulance performance worst ever - again

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-59332890

The worst ever performance figures have once again been recorded by hospital emergency departments and the ambulance service in Wales.

Re: A&E and ambulance performance worst ever - again

Almost like an underfunded health service can't keep up with a global pandemic going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Almost like an underfunded health service can't keep up with a global pandemic going on.
    Yes, I dont really see the point of the original post.

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    Yes, I dont really see the point of the original post.
    Cos healthcare is important? 🤷

Shouldnt be underfunded. Wheres the £350m a week post Brexit going?

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Shouldnt be underfunded. Wheres the £350m a week post Brexit going?
    Into the back pockets of tory MPs

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Cos healthcare is important? 🤷
    It is but having a go at the performance of the Welsh government when it's struggling for cash after many years of cuts from Westminster is daft .

Especially when Boris is hardly providing the English people with a spanking health service over the border

The demand on health and social care at the moment in unprecedented especially in South Wales

It needs more resources from the top which then goes to Wales through Westminster

The so called health and social care reforms from the Tories are cobblers and all talk yet again 🙄

Border security to reduce the number of migrants who could work in the NHS.
    PS...£350 million was a publicity stunt, an accountancy trick to con people.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    It is but having a go at the performance of the Welsh government when it's struggling for cash after many years of cuts from Westminster is daft .

Especially when Boris is hardly providing the English people with a spanking health service over the border

The demand on health and social care at the moment in unprecedented especially in South Wales

It needs more resources from the top which then goes to Wales through Westminster

The so called health and social care reforms from the Tories are cobblers and all talk yet again 🙄
    This ^^^. My friends dad (in his eighties) had to wait 13 hours for an ambulance a couple of weeks ago. That’s after suffering a stroke. Was covered in the news. They praised the ambulance and NHS staff but the system is broken.

Plan A - Massive cull of the expensive vulnerable, disabled and elderly on benefits and pensions - AKA the new 'social care plan'
    Plan B - Run the NHS into the ground so it fails and can be rescued by private US insurance companies

i'd say this winter might be a success

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    Plan A - Massive cull of the expensive vulnerable, disabled and elderly on benefits and pensions - AKA the new 'social care plan'
    Plan B - Run the NHS into the ground so it fails and can be rescued by private US insurance companies

i'd say this winter might be a success
    Definitely the only type of plans this .gov.uk would come up with.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Definitely the only type of plans this .gov.uk would come up with.
    UK Gov has nothing to do with how we run the NHS in Wales

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    True, but the amount of money received by the Welsh Government from Westminster to run the NHS is determined by the Barnett formula, which doesnt take into account anything other than population size. Demographics pay no part in how much block grant awarded is to the devolved nations.

Quote Originally Posted by ninian opinian View Post
    This ^^^. My friends dad (in his eighties) had to wait 13 hours for an ambulance a couple of weeks ago. That’s after suffering a stroke. Was covered in the news. They praised the ambulance and NHS staff but the system is broken.
    I agree the system is broke and Im not sure simply putting more money into it will change things.

The front line workers are great. I spent a few days in hospital earlier this year and have nothing but praise for them. But the organisation around things is just a mess.
    And its not just in hospitals. Recently I went for a booster jab at the Splott centre. When there they asked if I worked for the NHS. If I had they would have also given me a flu jab, but as I do not I was told Id have to get one elsewhere.
    I wrote to our Health minister complaint that this was poor use of resources. The reply I got said that the JCVI recommend co-administration where it aids operational expediency. For Wales this means only front line NHS staff and social care staff get co-administered jabs. I responded reminding her that I had a 10 minute appointment slot for my booster and the flu jab could also have been given in that time frame. It would have been a good example of operational expediency. As it is I now have to take another 10 minutes of a healthcare professional time to get my flu jab.

On a different note my neighbour is a 'first responder', attending emergencies ahead of an ambulance arriving. He works around the Cardiff area, and of course when he gets a call time is of the essence. Crazily Cardiff council will not allow first responders to use the Bus/ taxi lanes when answering a call. Yet more nonsense from the administrators.

NHS budgets have gone up a lot in last few years. If performance is getting worse (and it's impossible to tell cos of Covid really) then just ignoring that and shouting for more money doesn't make you a friend of the NHS.

There's clearly massive structural issues at play. Ignoring it just tolerates that

Just blaming Westminster when we are talking about a service thats been devolved for 20 years is just ridiculous and rather gutless.

This is too important for petty party politics. Everyone needs to come together on it. We all want the same thing

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    True, but the amount of money received by the Welsh Government from Westminster to run the NHS is determined by the Barnett formula, which doesnt take into account anything other than population size. Demographics pay no part in how much block grant awarded is to the devolved nations.
    Yes, but how much of the money is spent on healthcare is down to the Wales gov.

The way that some are happy to give the Welsh government a free pass on the Welsh NHS is quite frankly shocking. Our ambulance service in particular has been in tatters for years.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp_1927 View Post
    The way that some are happy to give the Welsh government a free pass on the Welsh NHS is quite frankly shocking. Our ambulance service in particular has been in tatters for years.
    100% agree. And it's weird as shit too. This is our families lives we're talking about.

Well that's not true is it ?

If you need to build a brick wall that is going to cost 1000 quid but are only given 300 quid to do it then what sort of wall do you think you will get ?

NHS budgets have gone up a lot in last few years. If performance is getting worse (and it's impossible to tell cos of Covid really) then just ignoring that and shouting for more money doesn't make you a friend of the NHS.

There's clearly massive structural issues at play. Ignoring it just tolerates that

Just blaming Westminster when we are talking about a service thats been devolved for 20 years is just ridiculous and rather gutless.

This is too important for petty party politics. Everyone needs to come together on it. We all want the same thing
    The NHS is continually in need of cash

And this going to keep increasing

Either the people running Westminster cough up or we continually suffer poor health care

It's bad in Wales but it's hardly great in England is it ?

I mean who spaffed all that money at the start of covid in England ?

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp_1927 View Post
    Oh massive problems but it's a problem right across the board

My old dear pays a flat rate for basic home care of 100 quid in Wales

Guess how much it is in England , if you are lucky enough to get it ?

And there are not massive structural issues in England ?

I think you will find its absolutely on its arse there too

It is shit across the board but we don't even get prescriptions and parking in England without paying through the nose for it.

Is it even up to the Welsh government how much gets spent I thought that was all decided based on population from a UK level anyway.

I was responding to the posters suggested plans A & B which have an uncanny resemblance to some of the things .gov.uk have in their playbook.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    And there are not massive structural issues in England ?

I think you will find its absolutely on its arse there too
    100%

I posted a few weeks ago about a recent MRI at UHW and speaking to nurses, radiologists et al and it was clear they're furious with GPs palming off patients to A&E. It's no wonder the ambulance services are on their arse as well as A&E staff and support services if GPs have effectively shut their doors to their local patients. I haven't had a face-to-face appointment with a GP since the pandemic. As soon as the GPs are criticised for this they get upset about it. The pressure on the ambulance service and A&E isn't mainly because of COVID anymore.