+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Tesco

Tesco

Visited it today on Western Avenue for the first time in years.
    Couldn’t believe the difference in price between reward card holder and non card holders. Various items 25p - £1.50 more for non card holders.
    Needless to say I didn’t buy anything and walked out.
    I’ll try again in 2026.

Re: Tesco

Didnt fancy signing up for a free reward card then?

Quote Originally Posted by Chilled of Llanishen View Post
    Couldn’t believe the difference in price between reward card holder and non card holders. Various items 25p - £1.50 more for non card holders.
    I’ll try again in 2026.
    Or apply for a card, use it for petrol and cheaper shopping, at Xmas you get fantastic deals on branded spirits as much as 10 to 15 bucks off

I could have but when I had a card years ago the points never went on properly.
    Anyway the Tesco rewards card price is the same prices as Asda or Morrison’s etc and you don’t need reward cards to shop there.

By the way Nectar card is much better and you can link it with eBay to save money on purchases.

Didn’t know about the cheaper spirits. I’ll keep my eye on that.

By the way Nectar card is much better and you can link it with eBay to save money on purchases.
    You are allowed to have both cards btw. You dont get as many points as you used to, and the number of retailers you can use the points is smaller, but it's still worth having.
    I've just got 3 months of Disney plus for £8, get my lads student railcard for a tenner, and just ordered some new Denby pots and pans.

Didn’t know about the cheaper spirits. I’ll keep my eye on that.
    Still think Aldi and Lidl spirits are very hard to beat though and good quality stuff as long as you don't mind non branded named products.

It doesn't make as much difference as you'd think - at least, not on an everyday basis. I've had a reward card for a while, and on average it only takes two or three quid off a forty pound shop. You CAN get big deductions, but it depends on what you buy. They have card offers on wine and spirits, for example. But if you follow the yellow tags, and buy something that you normally wouldn't, well, it's not saving you money any longer, is it?
    All a bit of a ploy, if you ask me. If they're losing customers to the likes of Lidl or Aldi, then perhaps they should try cutting their prices, rather than come up with some meaningless tracking system.

My daughter uses Tesco all the time, has a 'prime' reward card.
    She recently got over £100 off (well over half the total) onher big shop, with all the discounts, cash-for points and coupons.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    My daughter uses Tesco all the time, has a 'prime' reward card.
    She recently got over £100 off (well over half the total) onher big shop, with all the discounts, cash-for points and coupons.
    It's worth it if you fill up at thier petrol station do all your shop thier it could easily pay for your food Xmas shop .

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    You dont get as many points as you used to
    You are not wrong there. Ever since they simplified it and took away the points-hunting part of it, it lost its fun for me. But back in the good old days, clubcard points paid for thousands of pounds worth of first class flights etc. I did it quite a bit but the real fanatics were buying cars with points! I completely understand why Tesco has done what it has by really only giving out points for spending money now, but up until at least 2015ish, you could absolutely rinse it if you were so inclined. Sadly its become as boring as nectar - no way to gamify it. But in many ways it is now far worse than nectar. CLubcard used to be a genuine bonus; now you are punished for not having one in a way Sainsburys doesn't punish non-members.

But it's not that big of an issue. If you don't have a clubcard, just tell the checkout lady and she'll find someone with a clubcard happy to scan theirs for some free points. I don't carry a clubcard any more but I do that all the time - or if I'm in the self checkout and see someone with one I just ask if they want my points too. Never once had a problem with it.

we use our Tesco's clubcard points for a Young persons railcard ( a 10'er ) , always used to get roadside breakdown cover ( but its now free with our bank account ) and spend the rest of Prezzo vouchers ( where they Treble the amount )

some of the deals in-store mean its well worth having now

I’ll try again in 2026.
    The amounts you get off with a reward card have gone up a lot recently but the fact that you walked out because you would have had to spend 2 mins signing up for a free one makes me think you've got the wrong username

They’ve got me back as a regular since all the Clubcard deals. They genuinely are bargains for some of them.

Don’t confuse Clubcard with the premium paid for clubcard. This is literally a free plastic card so I don’t understand why that would be an issue?

I use the points for 3x the value for a day out eg theme parks etc which makes it even better value

Nectar is good for eBay, Argos and so on, but Sainsbury’s in general are more expensive on the majority of items

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    The amounts you get off with a reward card have gone up a lot recently but the fact that you walked out because you would have had to spend 2 mins signing up for a free one makes me think you've got the wrong username
    Very True!

I’ll try again in 2026.
    what a lovely anecdote

Don’t even need a card. Can do it all on the app now. Just scan the QR code every time you purchase.