+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Revised HS2 Is the government right or wrong?

Re: Revised HS2 Is the government right or wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    the latest polling are predicting a bloodbath for the Tories in the next election. practically wiped out in Wales. as things should be
    I certainly hope so

What's the most reliable data ?

Some of the smaller pollsters are all over the shop

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    They should have started building HS1,2,3 /northern powerhouse thingy in the North as that's where the investment was needed most. Instead the government have looked after themselves and the South, by concentrating on the London to Birmingham line then scrapping the rest.
    They wanted to level up,but have just increased the gap instead.
    Well if the clarts in the northern seats who voted tory stick with them then that's their choice but they can't complain

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    I've never supported HS2. I honestly think it should have been scrapped years ago. London to Birmingham brings some benefits but I think the nature of train travel has changed. The necessity is less than it was and with wifi etc it is not the 'downtime' it was.

I think spending it on a far greater number of more local projects is a much better idea tbh. Cardiff to Manchester is shit. Cardiff to Bristol doesn't run late enough. Liverpool to Manchester is poor, Manchester to Sheffield dreadful, intra-city services in places like Bristol are dreadful.

I think a lot more can be achieved by spending it elsewhere on more projects. At the end of the day, funding is finite, and spending so much on one project of dubious value, starving other schemes of funding as a result was never a good use of resources in my opinion

The challenge now is to bake these projects in, get them funding allocated and start them moving as projects as soon as possible.
    Are you shagging rishi ?

Quote Originally Posted by superfeathers View Post
    Therein lies the problem. The promises of spending on other projects today are the sugar coating of a shit show finally being shelved, which will go the same way as the 40 hospitals, no doubt.
    More police , more hospitals , more trains !

Thump fists

Clap at conference

Lie

Start again

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    More police , more hospitals , more trains !

Thump fists

Clap at conference

Lie

Start again
    Wheeling his mrs out to say he's great was a bit special
    A billionaire popping in unannounced to tell everyone how hard her husband is working, while so many are on the breadline.
    Unnecessary.

A billionaire popping in unannounced to tell everyone how hard her husband is working, while so many are on the breadline.
    Unnecessary.
    They are all tossers

I hope if they are given a hammering at the election the opposition parties shape up and start acting in some sort of unwritten deal to keep them out

Dreadful bunch of chancers

One of the positives for HS2 was that it would relieve the congestion on the other lines, thus aiding the whole service. Seems like they're going to smarten up the other lines without doing anything about the capacity issues.

Like Brexit, I don't think any of us average Joe's are in a position to evaluate the benefits and disbenefits of such projects, the cost of not doing them and any alternative options that would be better value for part of the money. One thing that I do think though, is that such decisions need to be cross-party - as they are very long-term and they shouldn't be at the mercy of a different colour of government a year or two down the line and further governments thereafter.

Unnecessary.
    It was pretty American, like when Michelle Obama would regularly speak. Clearly helps to drive home the 'loving husband's etc image.

I did find it a little odd, but not unpleasant in any way.

If I were to go from Birmingham New Street to Manchester tomorrow, it would take me 1hr 28mins.

Don't get me wrong, clearly shaving half an hour off that is half an hour I could be doing something else, but is that really a priority? Is that really the biggest transport need in this country?

Electrification, dialling of tracks, skipping stations, faster trains, taller bridges etc etc..all of that is good. And High Speed Rail is good too, but not at any price.

I'm struggling to think why people would really need to get between the centres of two very different cities in two very different parts of the country quicker than in an hour and 28 mins, esp when in most cases you can work on trains if so desired and you could easily lose 10-15 mins in a taxi or car either side of the stations anyway.

Like I said, they need to bake in these new projects and do it sharpish but I think it's the right decision.

Will be interesting to see if Labour propose to reverse it in their conference next week

If I were to go from Birmingham New Street to Manchester tomorrow, it would take me 1hr 28mins.

Don't get me wrong, clearly shaving half an hour off that is half an hour I could be doing something else, but is that really a priority? Is that really the biggest transport need in this country?

Electrification, dialling of tracks, skipping stations, faster trains, taller bridges etc etc..all of that is good. And High Speed Rail is good too, but not at any price.

I'm struggling to think why people would really need to get between the centres of two very different cities in two very different parts of the country quicker than in an hour and 28 mins, esp when in most cases you can work on trains if so desired and you could easily lose 10-15 mins in a taxi or car either side of the stations anyway.

Like I said, they need to bake in these new projects and do it sharpish but I think it's the right decision.

Will be interesting to see if Labour propose to reverse it in their conference next week
    Are these new projects being completed before or after the building of the 40 new hospitals?

The joking Prime Minister who wasn't even a full ranking cabinet minister at the time of the 2019 election and is 20 points behind in the polls just gets to cancel the country's largest infrastructure project, which his party's manifesto committed to completing.

They deserve and will get absolutely annihilated in the next general election.

It was pretty American, like when Michelle Obama would regularly speak. Clearly helps to drive home the 'loving husband's etc image.

I did find it a little odd, but not unpleasant in any way.
    It felt strange to bring her into the fold at all, because when her taxes were being discussed he seemed to take issue with her being involved in his political life.

Is the uk able to actually follow through and deliver anything on schedule?

It isn't just about shaving time off a journey, it is also about capacity. But from a travel time perspective, it feels like the uk is small enough to be 'open' and easily/quickly navigable.

I was death scrolling looking at the USA on Google maps and it dawned on me that one of the main advantages the uk has is that everything is pretty close together. It shouldn't be beyond us to be able to navigate top to bottom, vice versa and across in a morning and at a reasonable cost, but for some reason it is.

This isn't a choice between local transport and Intercity transport, this is a defining moment for this 13 year conservative government, it proves that even left entirely to their own devices, without outside interference, blockers or barriers, they are incapable of delivering.

Sunak attempting to rebrand cancelling long term projects and plans as 'making long term decisions' is laughable and initial polling suggests this messaging isn't even working with traditional conservative voters.

It felt strange to bring her into the fold at all, because when her taxes were being discussed he seemed to take issue with her being involved in his political life.
    Perhaps his potential successors (sorry fellow Cabinet members) made themselves unavailable to declare his brilliance?

What a chancer

Typical tory

Send him to the tower

They should have started building HS1,2,3 /northern powerhouse thingy in the North as that's where the investment was needed most. Instead the government have looked after themselves and the South, by concentrating on the London to Birmingham line then scrapping the rest.
    They wanted to level up,but have just increased the gap instead.
    Agreed.

I don't know why construction started from the south but it's probably because it was historically planned that way and then land bought up on that route. Whatever the reasoning it won't be to 'look after the south'.

By definition a rail link connects two places. It benefits both. It will still be quicker to get between London and Manchester in future.

Surely the decision today benefits far more northern communities, no? What about the vast majority of people who aren't looking to pay premium fares to get to London half an hour or so quicker?

North Wales Mainline to be electrified..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-66994801

I'll believe it when I see it.
    Remember 10 or 11 years ago when they promised electrification to Swansea ?

I'll believe it when I see it.
    Remember 10 or 11 years ago when they promised electrification to Swansea ?
    Indeed..

I don't know why construction started from the south but it's probably because it was historically planned that way and then land bought up on that route. Whatever the reasoning it won't be to 'look after the south'.

By definition a rail link connects two places. It benefits both. It will still be quicker to get between London and Manchester in future.

Surely the decision today benefits far more northern communities, no? What about the vast majority of people who aren't looking to pay premium fares to get to London half an hour or so quicker?
    It’s bollox, it won’t happen. This rancid government couldn’t organise a piss up in a brewery.

Quote Originally Posted by ninian opinian View Post
    It’s bollox, it won’t happen. This rancid government couldn’t organise a piss up in a brewery.
    You are fuming about it!

You are fuming about it!
    Yes I’m fuming, fuming about this government lying through their teeth again. All week, categorically stating no decision had been made on HS2 and today coming out with a shiny video filmed in London prior to the shit show of a conference.

They are lying to you too don’t forget.

Quote Originally Posted by ninian opinian View Post
    Yes I’m fuming, fuming about this government lying through their teeth again. All week, categorically stating no decision had been made on HS2 and today coming out with a shiny video filmed in London prior to the shit show of a conference.

They are lying to you too don’t forget.
    Yeah they are also spending my money and I think dropping HS2 in favour of various other projects is more beneficial to more people to be honest.

Well that's a lie too

I mean they are in tatters yet they are still at it

The gogs won't fall for this