+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: John Miles RIP

John Miles RIP

Talented singer, songwriter, keyboards and guitarist (for Tina Turner and Joe Cocker) has passed.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebri...ndary-25629789

Actually got one of his albums:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVFy...inluz.mrvinluz

Re: John Miles RIP

Very sad news indeed. He was a fabulous performer and I first saw him in the Top Rank in the late 70's. Had about 5 of his albums and saw him many times since, although not since the late1980's. A very under-rated guitarist too. RIP John.

It's odd how some talented performers never really kick on from a bright start in the music industry and are reduced to trying to make a living as backing/session musicians. Miles won the "Outstanding Musical Achievement" award at the 2017 Progressive Music Awards. Bet that paid the rent!

There are myriads of guys like him.

Just the other day I was playing stuff by Georgie Fame. I saw him regularly at clubs in the 1960s - his band (complete with bongo player) were recorded playing an excellent live version of 'Night Train' which encapsulates their musicianship. He had a few monster hits with 'Yeh Yeh', 'Getaway' and 'The Ballad of Bonnie and Clyde' and I remember him on the first Tamla caravan package show with the Supremes, Martha and the Vandellas and Stevie Wonder, when he was brought in to boost the appeal of those artists! Imagine! He then survived by doing what Miles did, backing and session work. I last saw him with Bill Wymans R&B All Stars.

I guess their later work gave them much satisfaction, but this was possibly tinged with regret that they became also rans despite their talent.

RIP. Great talent who provided many a disco ending singalong. Still have the original vinyl.

Music is my first love and it will be my last.