+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Christmas

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    Actually I quite enjoy the cut and thrust of these threads as I am never afraid to have my faith challenged. It causes me to pause and ponder some of the points raised. The YouTube video recommended by TBG (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTllC7TbM8M) is interesting, a bit long (!) and would take an age to investigate every claim in it but quite thought provoking. For me the presenter in the video still hasn't answered my eternal question "why" apart from his suggestion that the number of Christians was declining by 100AD so it needed a boost and some new "stuff" was written to con the masses into belief. Uhm, odd that, when you know that the epistles and the gospels were written well before then. Still, a possible hypothesis I suppose.

I think he is correct in saying that Christianity then was more about politics rather than religion as far as the Romans were concerned and Christians were seen as a threat to the "system". It is no wonder there weren't many Christians around by then as probably most were in hiding (again being seen as a threat as they held "secret" meetings indoors) or had been slaughtered by Nero and his mates.
    Good for you

We always used to have issues with Religious threads, they always descended into name calling and abuse
    Ive followed this one and its not been too bad

as will any thread, if you feel its overstepped the mark, let us know either by IM or " report this post " ( or whatever its called )

Re: Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Good for you

We always used to have issues with Religious threads, they always descended into name calling and abuse
    Ive followed this one and its not been too bad

as will any thread, if you feel its overstepped the mark, let us know either by IM or " report this post " ( or whatever its called )
    Thanks. Yes, I agree, these threads often descend into puerile name calling and abuse. Sadly this inevitably reflects the character of the poster and denigrates them, rather than the intended recipient. " But the things that come out of a person’s mouth come from the heart, and these defile them". Matthew 15:18.

I tend not to reply to such posts anymore anyway unless there is some specific point to address.