Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
In a sense we get the Christmas we deserve. It's no good moaning about the expense of it all or crowded shops or road congestion or unwanted presents or houses with illuminated Santa Claus's on the roofs when what was originally a simple Christian event (the Christ Mass) has been seized upon as a huge money making opportunity in which we, whether we like it or not, are all impacted by it.

The Jehovah Witnesses (I am not one BTW) do not celebrate the birth of Jesus per se as they see it as the extension of a pagan festival and that nowhere in the New Testament is there a request that we should do so, which is fair enough. They overlook the fact though that December 25th is simply an official birthday as the precise time of his birth is not recorded. As a Christian it would not bother me at all if his birthday was shifted to say the 25th September but somehow I don't think that would go down too well in the world of commerce!

Hence the JW's have no involvement in the whole “Christmas thing” which must require a great deal of will power in these consumerist times and I admire them for that. They would obviously not condone my actions as a Christian who sends Christmas cards and buys presents for our grandchildren (we have a “no presents thank you” amnesty with other members of the family). My attitude is that as long as this does not overshadow and diminish the true meaning of Christmas, then I am easy with this.
The 25th of December was when Ancient Rome celebrated the Winter Solstice and Christianity subsequently piggybacked that date.