+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Great away support yesterday

Great away support yesterday

I only manage a few away games each season (usually in London or the Birmingham area), but it never ceases to amaze me the support we get away from home. Yesterday was a great example - the away end was rammed, and the fans were having to stand in the stairways (which surely is against all ground regulations?). There was plenty of room to make the away area a bit bigger, but they chose not to - strange. Great singing, all through the game (okay, it went a bit quiet after the second goal), and some friendly banter with the locals in the corner just to our right. The service in the bars was woeful, with just a couple of ladies trying to cope with a packed concourse.
    Luckily, before the match, we'd had a couple of pints in The Old Crown pub in the Digbeth area, not far from the ground. Digbeth is full of old warehouses and empty lots, and also houses much of Birmingham's night-life. The Old Crown is a wobbly-looking half-timbered old building with a huge covered backlot behind, and it was chock full of Birmingham fans. No problems at all, though some kind gent did point out I should maybe take my hat off. I'd forgotten there was a Bluebird badge pinned to the front.
    Just like to say I also enjoyed walking around the city centre. I know Birmingham is ten times the size of Cardiff, but the size and variety of shops in and around the Bull Ring was a bit of an eye-opener. Still, glad to be home, and a good point well-earned!

Re: Great away support yesterday

They are restricting away

capacity due to redevelopment ?

There didn't seem to be any development going on that I could see. Watch the footage - there's plenty of room to expand the away area. All the seating areas in the lower reaches of the stands were empty and covered in canvas adverts. They could have given us the whole stand if they'd wanted to.
    This is not the first time this season I've heard 'away capacity reduced due to development'. Getting to be a bit of a cop-out, I reckon.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    I only manage a few away games each season (usually in London or the Birmingham area), but it never ceases to amaze me the support we get away from home. Yesterday was a great example - the away end was rammed, and the fans were having to stand in the stairways (which surely is against all ground regulations?). There was plenty of room to make the away area a bit bigger, but they chose not to - strange. Great singing, all through the game (okay, it went a bit quiet after the second goal), and some friendly banter with the locals in the corner just to our right. The service in the bars was woeful, with just a couple of ladies trying to cope with a packed concourse.
    Luckily, before the match, we'd had a couple of pints in The Old Crown pub in the Digbeth area, not far from the ground. Digbeth is full of old warehouses and empty lots, and also houses much of Birmingham's night-life. The Old Crown is a wobbly-looking half-timbered old building with a huge covered backlot behind, and it was chock full of Birmingham fans. No problems at all, though some kind gent did point out I should maybe take my hat off. I'd forgotten there was a Bluebird badge pinned to the front.
    Just like to say I also enjoyed walking around the city centre. I know Birmingham is ten times the size of Cardiff, but the size and variety of shops in and around the Bull Ring was a bit of an eye-opener. Still, glad to be home, and a good point well-earned!
    Why is it that we seem to make the experience for the away fans as pleasant as possible and rarely get the same in return?

I wonder if other teams' away fans are treated as badly.

There didn't seem to be any development going on that I could see. Watch the footage - there's plenty of room to expand the away area. All the seating areas in the lower reaches of the stands were empty and covered in canvas adverts. They could have given us the whole stand if they'd wanted to.
    This is not the first time this season I've heard 'away capacity reduced due to development'. Getting to be a bit of a cop-out, I reckon.
    The bottom tiers of the right hand side stand and opposite stand are closed due to being structurally unsafe because of damaged steelwork. It’s been closed all season and all the visiting teams have had reduced allocations, nothing to do with secretly limiting Cardiff’s support.

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    The bottom tiers of the right hand side stand and opposite stand are closed due to being structurally unsafe because of damaged steelwork. It’s been closed all season and all the visiting teams have had reduced allocations, nothing to do with secretly limiting Cardiff’s support.
    I think that we were given more tickets than anyone else has had there all season as they are slowly increasing capacity there as some of the work gets completed.

I didn’t know Birmingham was 10 times the size of cardiff, 5 million people in brum?

Cardiff fans corralled and bottlenecked into confined space as police force a blockade and stop people exiting the stadium. The police line stopped fans from dispersing into a larger but also confined away coach park. No need to create such a tense situation.

Meant there was some confrontation and raised batons.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    I didn’t know Birmingham was 10 times the size of cardiff, 5 million people in brum?
    Cardiff 300,000. Birmingham 3m.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Cardiff fans corralled and bottlenecked into confined space as police force a blockade and stop people exiting the stadium. The police line stopped fans from dispersing into a larger but also confined away coach park. No need to create such a tense situation.

...and in a largely unlit area under the stands. Too dark to video what was going on. It could have kicked off very badly. Totally unnecessary for WMP to hold us back and it did get a bit tense as the City fans began pushing against their lines. Almost like medieval warfare at one point. Talking to a copper, the official reason for the police lines was "to allow rival crews to disperse". As it was "managed retreat" by the WMP was the way forward. For us, anyway.

Cardiff 300,000. Birmingham 3m.
    Cardiff hasn’t been 300,000 for a long time…

Depends how you count population (what boundaries - city council wards or wider district) and what source you use - some rely on 2011 census, others on more recent data.

2010 data from a range of UK population sources has Cardiff anywhere between 310,000 and 447,000. Birmingham anywhere between under 900,000 and well over 1.2 million.

These are just three that don't agree with each other. There are loads.

http://www.ukcities.co.uk/populations/

https://worldpopulationreview.com/co...united-kingdom

http://www.citymayors.com/gratis/uk_topcities.html

But Birmingham is at least 3x the population of Cardiff.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Depends how you count population (what boundaries - city council wards or wider district) and what source you use - some rely on 2011 census, others on more recent data.

2010 data from a range of UK population sources has Cardiff anywhere between 310,000 and 447,000. Birmingham anywhere between under 900,000 and well over 1.2 million.

A lot of building flats in brownfield sites and massive expansion going on now to the north west and north east of the city. Aiming to add a quarter to the population allegedly

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post

Outside of London Birmingham together with Greater Manchester , Glasgow , Leeds etc are the main urban centres in the UK

It's big but it's not ten times bigger

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Why is it that we seem to make the experience for the away fans as pleasant as possible and rarely get the same in return?

I wonder if other teams' away fans are treated as badly.
    Logic would indicate we make money selling tickets to away fans, programme sales, food and drink. We don't make money on our fans at away games.

A lot of building flats in brownfield sites and massive expansion going on now to the north west and north east of the city. Aiming to add a quarter to the population allegedly
    Cardiff or Birmingham ?

Our great away support is never in doubt

Does anyone remember Birmingham away 85 ?

And 95 come to think of it 🤔

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Cardiff or Birmingham ?
    Cardiff. The councils plan was to expand the city’s population by a quarter by 2030 I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Does anyone remember Birmingham away 85 ?

And 95 come to think of it ��
    It’s always been a bit lively with them, nowhere near now as bad as it was in the 80’s

It’s always been a bit lively with them, nowhere near now as bad as it was in the 80’s
    The Paul Millar wonder goal game was a bit spicy

I don't setting fire to their union jack went down well

Or trying to demolish their away end

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    The Paul Millar wonder goal game was a bit spicy

I don't setting fire to their union jack went down well

Or trying to demolish their away end
    I think it was 1989 I first went, midweek. Some of our fans left and went out the ground to try and get into the home end turnstiles, that didn’t go down to well with them either….

I think it was 1989 I first went, midweek. Some of our fans left and went out the ground to try and get into the home end turnstiles, that didn’t go down to well with them either….
    I remember it well

We were in a supporters club bus and the driver decided to park right outside the main gates

We suggested he moved

Cardiff. The councils plan was to expand the city’s population by a quarter by 2030 I believe.
    All coming into Cardiff along Llantrisant Road. Until they turn it into a bus-only/cycle route that is !

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post

I'm glad you and IanD raised issues about this. I've written to BCFC and the WMP regarding this and I've asked for a copy of their Risk Assessment. I spend a lot of time as a disability rights advocate and activist and this was pretty scary stuff.

I was on crutches, there was a young lad in front of me using a walking frame and others around who were mobility-challenged. The club stewards had been fantastic and helpful but the situation we found ourselves in at the end when leaving the ground was unacceptable and dangerous e.g. as IanD pointed out, it was dark, we were on a fairly steep upward incline for those with mobility issues, there were surges of people from the back and we had no communication as to how long we were going to be kept there.

When we finally started moving through we were confronted by a police blockade. There was one young lad with autism pleading with a policeman 'please don't make me go back into the crowd' and visibly distressed.

It's not a situation that abled-bodied people and kids should be in let alone, disabled supporters. I'm shocked that in 2021 football supporters are still being dangerously corralled like we were on Saturday.