+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112

Thread: Christmas

Re: Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
    But if you believe that date you would be wrong he was not born on dec 25th
    Re-read what I said, and look out for the word OFFICIAL.

Was the Queen of England born on her official birthday?

Quote Originally Posted by truthpaste View Post
    Re-read what I said, and look out for the word OFFICIAL.

Was the Queen of England born on her official birthday?
    Pedantic or what

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
    Pedantic or what
    Not at all, just correcting a misconception.

A September birth is the most probable, however the official celebration is 25th Dec.

It may be unpopular in these mainly secular times, but 2021AD looks back that many years to the birth of Christ.

I'm sure you know this but AD stands for the Latin phrase anno domini, which means in the year of our Lord. And every newspaper, webpage etc etc since the day we were born has this silent reminder on each page.

CE and BCE becoming more commonly used.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Era

Who knows, but in a few generations that might be what we read on the top of our (digital) newspapers. Makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    CE and BCE becoming more commonly used.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Era

Who knows, but in a few generations that might be what we read on the top of our (digital) newspapers. Makes sense.
    I think the current generation would mainly favour this and I've met people on courses at University that have tried to use this for the last 20-30 years. However to be consistent you need to scrub Christmas and Easter. Secular life is often strangely constantly using the name of Jesus disrespectfully, then stupidly marking His official birthday by vomiting everywhere after attending a Christmas party.

Talk about irony meeting ignorance

I think the current generation would mainly favour this and I've met people on courses at University that have tried to use this for the last 20-30 years. However to be consistent you need to scrub Christmas and Easter. Secular life is often strangely constantly using the name of Jesus disrespectfully, then stupidly marking His official birthday by vomiting everywhere after attending a Christmas party.

Talk about irony meeting ignorance
    Often constantly? That's what I sometimes always say. I don't think many in secular vomiting land would miss Easter if it was changed to another bank holiday and Christmas could just revert to the pagan festival it was.

Not at all, just correcting a misconception.

A September birth is the most probable, however the official celebration is 25th Dec.

It may be unpopular in these mainly secular times, but 2021AD looks back that many years to the birth of Christ.

I'm sure you know this but AD stands for the Latin phrase anno domini, which means in the year of our Lord. And every newspaper, webpage etc etc since the day we were born has this silent reminder on each page.
    Wrong! Most religious scholars place the birth of Jesus at "somewhere between 6BC and 4BC" based on the HISTORICAL event that was the census that Joe and Mary supposedly travelled for.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Wrong! Most religious scholars place the birth of Jesus at "somewhere between 6BC and 4BC" based on the HISTORICAL event that was the census that Joe and Mary supposedly travelled for.
    Just like the OFFICIAL birthday issue you completely miss the point!

Deliberately of course, just to deflect from the continued silence re scientific proof of the 'Big Bang'

Just like the OFFICIAL birthday issue you completely miss the point!

Deliberately of course, just to deflect from the continued silence re scientific proof of the 'Big Bang'
    No, I was replying to your assertation that 2021AD means that Jesus was born 2021 years ago.

They walked really slowly

No, I was replying to your assertation that 2021AD means that Jesus was born 2021 years ago.
    Which I didn't disagree with. It's simply the official time of when He left Heaven and arrived at Bethlehem.
    Nonetheless, the Latin phrase anno domini, which means in the year of our Lord stands as the official time and just like the arrival of Klopp to Liverpool, their fans care more about the fact it happened rather than the actual day it occured.

For someone so demanding of proof and immediately dismissing (or straight up ignoring) anything given to you, it’s weird that in this thread your own proof consists of:
    A book
    The shape a cluster of stars make
    The drawing of a thing looking like a cross but not the actual thing that doesn’t look like a cross
    People using a standardised calendar
    The Queen having 2 birthdays
    Klopp going to Liverpool

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    For someone so demanding of proof and immediately dismissing (or straight up ignoring) anything given to you, it’s weird that in this thread your own proof consists of:
    A book
    The drawing of a thing looking like a cross but not the actual thing that doesn’t look like a cross
    Klopp going to Liverpool
    I don't know why Klopp was brought into it because, as every Liverpool fan knows, Robbie Fowler is God and even had a second coming for a season before joining us.

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    A book
    Klopp going to Liverpool
    I only starting demanding proof when one of your 'team' started yelling that the big bang was a certainty.
    The fact is this, science can be brilliant at times when it wisely stays in it's comfort zone of verifying it's findings, as was Diana Ross when she was singing, but just like Diana when she tried to take a PENALTY - they normally fail big time when they overstretch themselves and start telling us what might have happened

I only starting demanding proof when one of your 'team' started yelling that the big bang was a certainty.
    The fact is this, science can be brilliant at times when it wisely stays in it's comfort zone of verifying it's findings, as was Diana Ross when she was singing, but just like Diana when she tried to take a PENALTY - they normally fail big time when they overstretch themselves and start telling us what might have happened
    One of our "team" probably got excited or riled during an argument and said something to hit home a point; it happens. We all know the big bang is a theory - how can it be anything else? - and there are even plenty of theists who would accept it as a plausible explanation. Of course, you're leaving yourself wide open with accusations of science "overstretching" so perhaps you're just looking for a bite.

So what did you get her in the end?

Worrying that this is probably the longest thread on the board this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post

Garden Centre voucher. Good idea imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    I don’t believe in garden centres

HOPE SHE BUYS A BURNING BUSH

Hopefully she doesn't read this board or the surprise will be lost

Great idea. Mums bloody love garden centres. Is it valid in the cafe? If so, it's a winner.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post

Really? When Christmas takes up a quarter of our lives according to the shelves of Tesco & Asda