+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Travelling

Travelling

Backpacking around Australia , spending a year with monkeys in Angola , Canada by Bike

Doesn't interest me

You get these women on dating sites ......I don't use them .....saying oh I love to explore and see new cultures

Well , I enjoy meeting people from different backgrounds I just can't be arsed with the travelling bit

Benidorm , Ibiza , Amsterdam I can manage

The idea of hitching a ride across Egypt or getting down with the lost amazonian tribes is not for me

Travelling in the past was a trip to Blackpool watching City

I admire young people who finish school or college and naff off to Nepal ......usually with the help of dad's cash but I was destined for different things

Re: Travelling

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Backpacking around Australia , spending a year with monkeys in Angola , Canada by Bike

Doesn't interest me

You get these women on dating sites ......I don't use them .....saying oh I love to explore and see new cultures

Well , I enjoy meeting people from different backgrounds I just can't be arsed with the travelling bit

Benidorm , Ibiza , Amsterdam I can manage

The idea of hitching a ride across Egypt or getting down with the lost amazonian tribes is not for me

Travelling in the past was a trip to Blackpool watching City

I admire young people who finish school or college and naff off to Nepal ......usually with the help of dad's cash but I was destined for different things
    You sure about the Amazonian tribe, haven’t you seen Wonder Woman?

I am about to upgrade my beautiful T4 transporter to something a little more substantial to travel Europe and beyond .
    I love an adventure.
    There is lots to see here in Wales so you don't have to travel too far for an adventure.
    Scotland is very beautiful , if like me you like walking... Walking Sludge ... walking..

Tell me more about the T4 Jimmy, pm if you like. We’re in the market.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Get a T5 a T4 is forever needing work at the garage. Not cheap mind

Everything on it is the best of the best .
    PM is better .

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Get a T5 a T4 is forever needing work at the garage. Not cheap mind
    Never put a spanner on mine after putting it through my workshops ...
    We make a lot of money of T5 that need sorting .
    I wanted an old VW , but something that wouldn't spend it life on the back of a AA truck .
    I have done Scotland twice , France once and North Wales load of times ...
    If you buy a bag of bones , it will always be a bag of bones.

You sure about the Amazonian tribe, haven’t you seen Wonder Woman?
    the pleasure of growing up in the docks gave you all that without getting on a number 8 bus

Quote Originally Posted by poc View Post
    the pleasure of growing up in the docks gave you all that without getting on a number 8 bus
    sorry meant to respond to the opening post

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Never put a spanner on mine after putting it through my workshops ...
    We make a lot of money of T5 that need sorting .
    I wanted an old VW , but something that wouldn't spend it life on the back of a AA truck .
    I have done Scotland twice , France once and North Wales load of times ...
    If you buy a bag of bones , it will always be a bag of bones.
    I still fancy one but I know they always need something, I guess it’s part of the journey. The modern T5/T6 are always needing expensive work now I hear mind. A few of my mates have T4’s, 2 of which have been in the garage for 2 months so far this year.

quit my job in my late 20s to travel around s e Asia, Australia, new Zealand and French Polynesia.
    was the best thing I've ever done, I would recommend it to anyone.

my boss at the time even offered me a promotion to come back at the end of it

I am about to upgrade my beautiful T4 transporter to something a little more substantial to travel Europe and beyond .
    I love an adventure.
    There is lots to see here in Wales so you don't have to travel too far for an adventure.
    Scotland is very beautiful , if like me you like walking... Walking Sludge ... walking..
    I don’t want to start an argument but fair play that sounds a good plan

Everyone should do a bit of travelling, it’s good for the soul to see how others live. I appreciate it’s not for everyone and can be a cost initially ( vaguely recall you needing to show £3000 in your bank to get an Ozzie visa back in the day). I landed there with £200 at 19 and picked grapes for a few months in 40 degree heat in mildura. Came back with enough cash for a car.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    quit my job in my late 20s to travel around s e Asia, Australia, new Zealand and French Polynesia.

I did very similar in my early 20's, Asia and Australia

My boss at the time was so keen to keep me on, he offered me a share of his business, ( he wanted to retire in a few yrs and thought I was the person to run the business with his son, it wasn't a massive business, employed about 20 blokes, but was decent enough ) of course I was young and I wanted to party around the world, so I went , in hindsight I would do it exactly the same way, as I had the time of my life

I love an adventure.
    By the time I get to Port Talbot it's raining 🌧

Quote Originally Posted by poc View Post
    sorry meant to respond to the opening post
    Indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post

My mate just works to earn money for his next adventure

Which is fair enough but its never been my thing

Even inter railing in Europe made me sea sick or should I say train sick

I think there’s a misconception that travelling is an expensive thing to do. A few years back me and a couple mates did 18 days in Eastern Europe and the total cost for hostels, flights, trains/busses, food and drink, etc was ~£400 which was roughly a weeks wages for me at the time.

Check out Skyscanner and when choosing a destination select “anywhere” and it gives you the cheapest flights from your chosen airport. You can get to about a dozen different countries in Europe for 40 quid return.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    My mate just works to earn money for his next adventure

Which is fair enough but its never been my thing

Even inter railing in Europe made me sea sick or should I say train sick
    Same here. I try to visit 3 'new' countries a year (new to m, that is) and I love boning up on the history, learning a score of phrases in the local language and couchsurfing with local people for a night or two. However, I have checked my wanderlust for the time being as I consider it irresponsible in the current health climate.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Same here. I try to visit 3 'new' countries a year (new to m, that is) and I love boning up on the history, learning a score of phrases in the local language and couchsurfing with local people for a night or two. However, I have checked my wanderlust for the time being as I consider it irresponsible in the current health climate.
    I like routine and predictability

Cardiff City are crap

I know I can't change that

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    I think there’s a misconception that travelling is an expensive thing to do. A few years back me and a couple mates did 18 days in Eastern Europe and the total cost for hostels, flights, trains/busses, food and drink, etc was ~£400 which was roughly a weeks wages for me at the time.

Check out Skyscanner and when choosing a destination select “anywhere” and it gives you the cheapest flights from your chosen airport. You can get to about a dozen different countries in Europe for 40 quid return.
    Sure thing, when I went travelling around India I took about £1000 which lasted me two months. Flights were about £400.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Sure thing, when I went travelling around India I took about £1000 which lasted me two months. Flights were about £400.
    I found travelling fairly pricey to be honest when I was in Australia

I came back around £6 K in debt ( I purchased my first house a few years later for £27 K )
    I was working full time in Sydney and still managed to run up a massive debt I might have been living slightly beyond my means at times ( to my defence my PADI Dive courses and Dive equipment cost a fair bit, in hindsight getting to and passing my Dive instructor course was a little waste, to my defence I was planning on teaching Diving in Thailand ) oh and out partying every night of the week might have been a little OTT

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    I found travelling fairly pricey to be honest when I was in Australia

I came back around £6 K in debt ( I purchased my first house a few years later for £27 K )
    I was working full time in Sydney and still managed to run up a massive debt I might have been living slightly beyond my means at times ( to my defence my PADI Dive courses and Dive equipment cost a fair bit, in hindsight getting to and passing my Dive instructor course was a little waste, to my defence I was planning on teaching Diving in Thailand ) oh and out partying every night of the week might have been a little OTT
    Oz is different mind, India you can live like a king for tenner a day, bit like Mexico 20 yrs ago. Cold corona 20p!
    Sydney is one of the most expensive cities in the world, property akin to London which is why you find 4 bed houses with about 30 people living there. Great place to party though and if you can sAve enough cash to do south east Asia en route home.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Same here. I try to visit 3 'new' countries a year (new to m, that is) and I love boning up on the history, learning a score of phrases in the local language and couchsurfing with local people for a night or two.
    Planning a loop road trip from Poland next summer, Kaliningrad (if I can get visa), Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, Finland, Sweden for next summer, with similar reasoning.

Planning a loop road trip from Poland next summer, Kaliningrad (if I can get visa), Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, Finland, Sweden for next summer, with similar reasoning.
    I have to go outside Europe for 'new countries' these days. Been to every one on this continent