+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Corporation opens it’s doors once more

The Corporation opens it’s doors once more

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-...f-pub-22222829

Not a boozer but there’s plenty of those about. Looks good from the pics and nice to have some independent stuff in Cardiff and not another copy cat chain business.
    Will be checking that out before Weds game.

Re: The Corporation opens it’s doors once more

It’s £5 a pint

To be fair it's a beautiful building glad it's been opened, did like the old pub though .

Great pub, in the 90's it was my pub of choice on match days ( and occasionally other nights )

Gentrified.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Gentrified.
    Preferred it as a boarded up building?

Used to spend Sunday nights in there in the eighties when it had a Scottish landlord who was a good bloke (went off it after it was refurbished) - saw the worst pub brawl of my life in there during that time between two mad Irish women.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Used to spend Sunday nights in there in the eighties when it had a Scottish landlord who was a good bloke (went off it after it was refurbished) - saw the worst pub brawl of my life in there during that time between two mad Irish women.
    Danny & Mary, went to The Ruperra in Splott later.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Danny & Mary, went to The Ruperra in Splott later.
    Great to see it reopened. Hate an empty unit and this does look different.

That said, it's very gentrified, it's quite exclusionary on prices and there is something about the hipster culture; the way it copies working class culture but prices itself to exclude many on lower incomes that I just find, I dunno, uncomfortable.

Brewdog are the worst example with their whole 'BEER FOR THE PEOPLE' thing, at £5.40 a pint or whatever.

Good luck to them mind, and it is great to see it open and I'm sure it will be popular.

Wt actual f is that?
    Should be good for Fulham fans when we play them it will be like wetherspoons prices for the happy clappers.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Great pub, in the 90's it was my pub of choice on match days ( and occasionally other nights )
    Me too. I lived right around the corner. If the Corp was buzzing, you knew we were getting a decent crowd that day.

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    Wt actual f is that?
    Should be good for Fulham fans when we play them it will be like wetherspoons prices for the happy clappers.
    It looks awful. I spent a few months working in pathology at the old St Davids Hospital and spent many a long flexi lunch time in there when it was some nurses birthday (at least a couple of times a week!). Quite a few memories. This version is not for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    Preferred it as a boarded up building?
    Just glad it wasn’t knocked down like they are about to do to the Roath park pub, a strange pub that was forever empty for reasons unbeknown

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Just glad it wasn’t knocked down like they are about to do to the Roath park pub, a strange pub that was forever empty for reasons unbeknown
    I used to pass it on the way to work, can’t remember last time it was open. Last I heard there were squatters or travellers living in the RP pub.

I’m a bit surprised by the reactions to the Corporation opening again in this thread. No it’s not opening as a pub, but there’s extra jobs, businesses and money being brought to one of the poorer areas of Cardiff. I’ve seen plenty of outer city high streets, particularly in North England and the Midlands, that have basically been abandoned from any investment and are nothing but bookies, vape shops and takeaways.

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    I’m a bit surprised by the reactions to the Corporation opening again in this thread. No it’s not opening as a pub, but there’s extra jobs, businesses and money being brought to one of the poorer areas of Cardiff. I’ve seen plenty of outer city high streets, particularly in North England and the Midlands, that have basically been abandoned from any investment and are nothing but bookies, vape shops and takeaways.

Got to agree, people would have moaned if it had been converted into apartments etc etc, at least this bringing in a few jobs, something slightly Different , sure its a hipsters dream, but they got to spend money somewhere

these quirky high streets can take off, Shepton Mallet was heading down the quirky route, Glastonbury certainly is, one of my fav little cafe's on that high street, 100% Veggie and its always rammed, got to be better than Charity shops, Vape shops, Bookies and a Wilko's

Got to agree, people would have moaned if it had been converted into apartments etc etc, at least this bringing in a few jobs, something slightly Different , sure its a hipsters dream, but they got to spend money somewhere

these quirky high streets can take off, Shepton Mallet was heading down the quirky route, Glastonbury certainly is, one of my fav little cafe's on that high street, 100% Veggie and its always rammed, got to be better than Charity shops, Vape shops, Bookies and a Wilko's
    Nobody is against the idea of the market, it's just all a bit self serving in my opinion. Some of the stores project an ethical Message but the reality is that the wider community won't be able to afford to shop there due to the prices. It promotes a message of inclusiveness although it's the opposite in my opinion. Good luck to binki and her crew with her refillable pasta packs.

I've worked for the landlord of the corporation and to say that he's a prolific property developer who liked to pack em in is an understatement. If I was a cynical man then I'd probably think that he's waiting on planning permission to turn the building into apartments. I'd have liked to have seen a hotel there, that would have created more jobs for the community and would've benefited the surrounding businesses. Although I doubt it would be allowed due to parking restrictions in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    It’s £5 a pint
    From a barber, to a bookshop, to a charitable clothing shop Corp Market has combined some of the city's favourite independent businesses under one roof.

The city's independent retail scene was devastated when*Castle Emporium was forced to close last month.

However fans of the much-loved city centre venue will be pleased to see that the majority of the traders have travelled west and found a home at Corp Market.

It's not all about beer prices you boring old fart.

[QUOTE=blue matt;5247951]Got to agree, people would have moaned if it had been converted into apartments etc etc, at least this bringing in a few jobs, something slightly Different , sure its a hipsters dream, but they got to spend money somewhere

these quirky high streets can take off, Shepton Mallet was heading down the quirky route, Glastonbury certainly is, one of my fav little cafe's on that high street, 100% Veggie and its always rammed, got to be better than Charity shops, Vape shops, Bookies and a Wilko's[/QUOTE]

and hair dressers/barbers, there's always loads of them. Although Canton already has all of those except the Wilko's, which I would welcome.

It's like one of the 1980's episodes of 'changing rooms'.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    It's like one of the 1980's episodes of 'changing rooms'.
    1990's Monkfish, get it right

1990's Monkfish, get it right
    Thought I'd had 10 years put on me then

Nobody is against the idea of the market, it's just all a bit self serving in my opinion. Some of the stores project an ethical Message but the reality is that the wider community won't be able to afford to shop there due to the prices. It promotes a message of inclusiveness although it's the opposite in my opinion. Good luck to binki and her crew with her refillable pasta packs.

I've worked for the landlord of the corporation and to say that he's a prolific property developer who liked to pack em in is an understatement. If I was a cynical man then I'd probably think that he's waiting on planning permission to turn the building into apartments. I'd have liked to have seen a hotel there, that would have created more jobs for the community and would've benefited the surrounding businesses. Although I doubt it would be allowed due to parking restrictions in the area.

It looks like its 100% for Cardiff's Hipsters, right up the Hipsters street IMHO, thus it will have a fairly high price tag

It will always be heading down the apartments route, it'll be a fairly easy conversion and the building is in a great location ( as you say, apart from parking ) so if you are a professional who had a job in the center of Cardiff, you are what they want

When we stayed in Liverpool for the netball World Cup, I couldn't get a hotel in the center that had any car parking, it was really strange, ended up staying in a Prem inn ( which we like ) and booking car parking with the hotel but had to park about 20 mins walk away on the plus side of that we walked past a " Taco Bell " so found that

It looks like its 100% for Cardiff's Hipsters, right up the Hipsters street IMHO, thus it will have a fairly high price tag

It will always be heading down the apartments route, it'll be a fairly easy conversion and the building is in a great location ( as you say, apart from parking ) so if you are a professional who had a job in the center of Cardiff, you are what they want

When we stayed in Liverpool for the netball World Cup, I couldn't get a hotel in the center that had any car parking, it was really strange, ended up staying in a Prem inn ( which we like ) and booking car parking with the hotel but had to park about 20 mins walk away on the plus side of that we walked past a " Taco Bell " so found that
    I like taco bell and premier inn Yeah, the corp will end up apartments, no doubt about it.

I like taco bell and premier inn Yeah, the corp will end up apartments, no doubt about it.
    Heard mixed reviews. There's one not too far from me in Talbot Green... sell me...

It's not all about beer prices you boring old fart.

The poster, “Canton Kev”, said “he would be checking it out on Wednesday”

I was just warning him, it was £5 a pint, as the only thing he will be able to check out, is the pub part, as the rest shuts at 5pm

I won’t lower myself, to resort to name calling, as that takes me back to school playgrounds