Thread: FT: CARDIFF CITY 0 - 1 HULL CITY. Match thread

Re: FT: CARDIFF CITY 0 - 1 HULL CITY. Match thread

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    No.
    There was a touch of irony in my post.......no, not just a touch, a lot

What the managers said...

Cardiff's Steve Morison: "It [booing] must be down to where we are in the league because we've had back-to-back wins. If we are going to get out of this, it is going to take absolutely everybody. Everyone who works at the football club and every fan who comes through the door and watches.

"You see the difference in performance when the fans get right behind us and try and suck the ball towards the goal with their energy and their noise. Unfortunately, when it goes the other way and we get the negative reaction, it has the opposite effect. I'd ask, if we are going to get out of this, we need the fans to be right behind us."

Hull's Grant McCann: "Cardiff is a tough place to come and we knew it was going to be a tough game. I thought defensively we were very good and scored a good goal from a set play. We stuck to our task very well. We knew they had a big centre forward and we would have to be good at stopping crosses. We did that for the majority of the game.

"I'm delighted to have three clean sheets and three wins in a row. We are really, really pleased with the result because Cardiff have been reinvigorated under Steve."

[QUOTE=Michael Morris;5248574]What the managers said...

Cardiff's Steve Morison: "It [booing] must be down to where we are in the league because we've had back-to-back wins. If we are going to get out of this, it is going to take absolutely everybody. Everyone who works at the football club and every fan who comes through the door and watches.

Steve Morison pre game “ we need to give the fans something to get behind in home games and that starts with 3 points” - what happened there then, to be honest thought the booing was really only loud after that abject first half and more resigned at the end of the game - what does he expect when we rarely see the team win at home and put in a terrible first 45 minutes devoid of any urgency or creativity

Grant McCann “ Cardiff is a tough place to come to” - no it’s not we’ve lost 7 of the last 8 home games, it’s the easiest place in the Championship to come to and win

Football manager speak eh!

[QUOTE=Don Corleone;5248576]
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post

Steve Morison pre game “ we need to give the fans something to get behind in home games and that starts with 3 points” - what happened there then, to be honest thought the booing was really only loud after that abject first half and more resigned at the end of the game - what does he expect when we rarely see the team win at home and put in a terrible first 45 minutes devoid of any urgency or creativity

Grant McCann “ Cardiff is a tough place to come to” - no it’s not we’ve lost 7 of the last 8 home games, it’s the easiest place in the Championship to come to and win

Football manager speak eh!
    Historically speaking perhaps.

It’s clear Colwill and Isaak Davies need to be on the pitch together, for any creative spark. Ralls too as the gritty enforcer behind them. I think he got it wrong with the starting 11. But we should have taken a point tonight, and that would be 7 from 9. I hope he sees we need Wintle and Watters back in Jan.

The booing was pathetic and I’m glad he spoke out about it.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueArmy 86 View Post
    It’s clear Colwill and Isaak Davies need to be on the pitch together, for any creative spark. Ralls too as the gritty enforcer behind them. I think he got it wrong with the starting 11. But we should have taken a point tonight, and that would be 7 from 9. I hope he sees we need Wintle and Watters back in Jan.

The booing was pathetic and I’m glad he spoke out about it.
    I’ve not been impressed by Morison’s pre and post match remarks.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    From what I saw (which was the whole game on TV), there's still plenty of 'just booting it'.
    I saw almost none in the hour that I watched.

As everyone else here seems to say, lots of pretty aimless passing, but almost no hoofball.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I’ve not been impressed by Morison’s pre and post match remarks.
    I was very unimpressed with what he said last night. Ok he's inexperienced but first rule of being a football manager, you never ever criticize the fans. We are the ones who pay everyone's wages full stop! If the product served up is poor, we have a right to remonstrate: I hope someone in a more senior capacity helps him out with this.

Apart from that, as I mentioned in a previous post I think it would be good if he acknowledged he made big mistakes with his selection last night. Ok he's on a steep learning curve and the hand he's been dealt is not good, however, it would be a positive move if he publicly stated he's learnt from last night's mistakes and won't make them again.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post

"You see the difference in performance when the fans get right behind us and try and suck the ball towards the goal with their energy and their noise. Unfortunately, when it goes the other way and we get the negative reaction, it has the opposite effect. I'd ask, if we are going to get out of this, we need the fans to be right behind us."

Hull's Grant McCann: "Cardiff is a tough place to come and we knew it was going to be a tough game. I thought defensively we were very good and scored a good goal from a set play. We stuck to our task very well. We knew they had a big centre forward and we would have to be good at stopping crosses. We did that for the majority of the game.

"I'm delighted to have three clean sheets and three wins in a row. We are really, really pleased with the result because Cardiff have been reinvigorated under Steve."
    Was queuing for a much needed pint at half time so didn't hear the boos then but I thought the full time boos were aimed at the weak ref as he left the pitch. To be fair to Morison, he's right that it helps when the fans are behind the team but it also helps when the team give the fans something to get behind. It doesn't even need to be quality play just some intensity and tempo would get us going

See, this is what happens to football managers.

They get a couple of good results by playing different players, then they morph into their predecessors and go back to the old guard, thinking they will now be better players, when they are still shite.

Wrong team selection all over the pitch

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    See, this is what happens to football managers.

They get a couple of good results by playing different players, then they morph into their predecessors and go back to the old guard, thinking they will now be better players, when they are still shite.

Wrong team selection all over the pitch
    We had the 'bounce', but it's back down to earth for players and managers alike. McCarthy and Morison would both have known the 'quality' of the squad. McCarthy decided to take the pragmatic route, Morison the new broom and experiment with something resembling football. The players obviously preferred it, but they just don't have the ability at this level.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    I was very unimpressed with what he said last night. Ok he's inexperienced but first rule of being a football manager, you never ever criticize the fans. We are the ones who pay everyone's wages full stop! If the product served up is poor, we have a right to remonstrate: I hope someone in a more senior capacity helps him out with this.
    God there's no one more snowflakey than football fans is there. The fans are on the team's back immediately when things aren't going right in a match, and booed them loudly at half time and full time, he can say that it'd be better if they didn't if he wants. He's 100% right - doing that to a team who are low on confidence isn't going to help matters at all.

We have a right to remonstrate sure, he's also got a right to say he doesn't agree with it. Football fans seem to think that they can dish out all sorts of abuse in their thousands but if any individual dares answer back they start to cry about how that's not allowed.

Also if you think that our 17000 attendance every other week is paying the wages as opposed to Vincent Tan then I'll have some of what some of what you're smoking

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    I saw almost none in the hour that I watched. As everyone else here seems to say, lots of pretty aimless passing, but almost no hoofball.
    There was plenty of aimless hoofing from the likes of Nelson and Flint in particular, but perhaps that was them trying to pass the ball. They’re so bad at it that it’s difficult to be sure.

Oh well, we lost again. Once again we've conceded first and that has set the tone of the game. Another poor goal to concede from a set piece - if we can tighten up that aspect of our defence then we aren't actually playing that badly. Hopefully they will be working on that in training extensively. I think that maybe the players are very aware of the run of conceding first and early and it is affecting the way they are playing

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    we aren't actually playing that badly.
    That was the first of Morison's games I've seen and the results show that we were better in the others but we really were terrible last night, as bad as anything I've seen this season

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    That was the first of Morison's games I've seen and the results show that we were better in the others but we really were terrible last night, as bad as anything I've seen this season
    I’m glad you said that and not me, or I’d be accused of all sorts. I’ve watched two games since Morison took charge - QPR and Hull. City were crap in both. There’s a clear attempt to play more football, but most of the players are generally terrible at it.

Yea first half in particular was as bad as anything under McCarthy, Flint and Nelson playing it between themselves gets the possession stats up but is about as anti football as hoofing it.

There was no purpose to anything in the first half.

Second we started well but lack pace and creativity and anythings we had soon fizzled out.

We actually looked most dangerous when we had the flurry of long throws and corners.

Thankfully points deductions are assisting us in the fight to avoid the drop. There is absolutely no doubt that the squad are no better than a bottom 5 side - staying up will be a major result.

The home form is dreadful, it is the worst in the division - little wonder the attendances are slipping and fans are disgruntled.

Surviving in the second tier has to be the height of ambition this season. The owners will soon have to decide what they want to do with the club. They have had two goes in the promised land of the premier league and now know how shallow supporters are who fill the ground for top level football but disappear very quickly once the club are back in the Championship.

I don't post very often but read the forum on a regular basis and know a struggling team when I see one. The new manager bounce worked (it so often does) but two consecutive wins will need to be repeated a few times to avoid a relegation battle.
    Last edited by The Prophet of Doom; 25-11-21 at 12:12. Reason: spelling!

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I’m glad you said that and not me, or I’d be accused of all sorts. I’ve watched two games since Morison took charge - QPR and Hull. City were crap in both. There’s a clear attempt to play more football, but most of the players are generally terrible at it.
    Huddersfield should have been three or four goals up against us after an hour as well. I've not seen much of the away games under Morison, but the home performances have been largely awful.

Quote Originally Posted by The Prophet of Doom View Post
    Thankfully points deductions are assisting us in the fight to avoid the drop. There is absolutely no doubt that the squad are no better than a bottom 5 side - staying up will be a major result.

The home form is dreadful, it is the worst in the division - little wonder the attendances are slipping and fans are disgruntled.

Surviving in the second tier has to be the height of ambition this season. The owners will soon have to decide what they want to do with the club. They have had two goes in the promised land of the premier league and now know how shallow supporters are who fill the ground for top level football but disappear very quickly once the club are back in the Championship.

I don't post very often but read the forum on a regular basis and know a struggling team when I see one. The new manager bounce worked (it so often does) but two consecutive wins will need to be repeated a few times to avoid a relegation battle.
    Username checks out

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post

Also if you think that our 17000 attendance every other week is paying the wages as opposed to Vincent Tan then I'll have some of what some of what you're smoking
    It's reported that Bacuna is on £25,000 a week which works out as £1.3m gross.

Assuming the average season ticket is £300 that means 4333 fans pays the wage of just Bacuna. (Who I also believe cost circa £3m?)

But yes we pay the wages

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Huddersfield should have been three or four goals up against us after an hour as well. I've not seen much of the away games under Morison, but the home performances have been largely awful.
    Huddersfield *could* have scored 3 or 4 if literally everything they'd hit had gone in, but it doesn't often work like that. They defended with 11 men from half way through the first half and deserved nothing from the game.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    It's reported that Bacuna is on £25,000 a week which works out as £1.3m gross.

Assuming the average season ticket is £300 that means 4333 fans pays the wage of just Bacuna. (Who I also believe cost circa £3m?)

But yes we pay the wages
    Do we know which 4333 fans as I would like to have a word with them?

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post

Apart from that, as I mentioned in a previous post I think it would be good if he acknowledged he made big mistakes with his selection last night. Ok he's on a steep learning curve and the hand he's been dealt is not good, however, it would be a positive move if he publicly stated he's learnt from last night's mistakes and won't make them again.
    You think the TV money doesn't pay the players wages?