+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Shaun Murphy

Shaun Murphy

I'm not a big snooker fan but isn't this the sourest of sour grapes? He lost to an amateur:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/snooker/59392405

An angry Murphy vented his fury afterwards by telling BBC Radio 5 Live: "I feel extremely hard done by that I have lost to someone who shouldn't even be in the building.

"I don't know why we as a sport allow amateurs to compete in professional tournaments. This is our livelihood. This is our living. We are self-employed individuals and not contracted sportsmen. We don't play for a team.

"The other 127 runners and riders in the tournament, it is their livelihood too. It is wrong, in my opinion, to walk into somebody who is not playing with the same pressures and concerns I am.

"He played like a man who does not have a care in the world, because he does not have a care in the world. It is not fair, it is not right.

"I am not picking on him as a young man, he deserved his victory. Amateurs should not be allowed in professional tournaments, the end.

"This is our livelihood. This is how I put food on the table. This is how I earn money. Since turning professional at 15, I have earned the right to call myself a professional snooker player. He hasn't done that. He shouldn't be on the table."

Having read his "food on the table" bit I googled his career earnings: £4m

Behave yourself Shaun.

Re: Shaun Murphy

Would it be the same as a wild card in tennis?

Agree, he's being a bit stupid there. Read it this morning, just wish the kid well and move on to the next one.

He doesn’t have a care in the world says man who plays snooker for a living and has made £4 million from it

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Would it be the same as a wild card in tennis?

Agree, he's being a bit stupid there. Read it this morning, just wish the kid well and move on to the next one.
    Yeah and don't make it sound like he's taking food from your children's mouths when you've made £4m from prize money

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Yeah and don't make it sound like he's taking food from your children's mouths when you've made £4m from prize money
    Yeah all a bit pathetic isn't it

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    He doesn’t have a care in the world says man who plays snooker for a living and has made £4 million from it
    Yeah, he's not read the room.

Also the fact that the other guy was professional and only isn’t now because he dropped out of the rankings. Bad PR why not just keep quiet or say well done.

Awkward.

Murphy usually talks a lot of sense, but he’s had a bit of a mare there - I bet he’s regretting saying it now.

The lad who beat him should become a professional.

Quote Originally Posted by 198bore View Post
    The lad who beat him should become a professional.
    On the BBC it says he dropped out of the top 128 so I'm guessing he was up to a point.

It will be a useful defence for any league teams losing to semi-professionals is the FA Cup in January.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    It will be a useful defence for any league teams losing to semi-professionals is the FA Cup in January.
    Your phone is at it again.

He needs to take a look at himself

It's a monumentally counter intuitive position to take. The pro who has been there and done it a hundred times over is wracked with nerves while the amateur, who needs this opportunity to go perfectly for him not to have to go back back to his shitty 9-5, hasn't got a care in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    He needs to take a look at himself
    Watching Justin Fletcher on Cbeebies should help with that.

Never liked him. Pleased he lost.

Greedy twat