+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keep the Faith

Keep the Faith

I don’t agree with the booing at all. This is a transition from years worth of crap football and it’s not going to click instantly. We need to support the gaffer and get behind the players or we’re f*cked.

First half was slow but there is at least intent to control the game. That will only get better as the team adjust and key players come in to replace the ones who struggle with passing the ball. It was clear by the end that Ralls and Colwill should be starting.

Second half we upped the tempo and created chances but couldn’t put them away. I thought Giles and Ng played well and got around their man several times, went inside and outside and got balls into the box. Ralls gave a fresh impetus and look to play balls forward. Mcguinness can carry the ball out of defence and link with the midfield. There were very few aimless balls up field which is a positive step in the right direction. If Ralls’ shot flies in the corner, Keiffer gets that tap in or Collo’s header goes in we get a deserved draw and keep up the momentum.

Conceding from set pieces is uncharacteristic of this team. We’ve got enough big lumps there to defend these situations. I thought Moore was poor by his standards and Davies faded after a bright start.

Signs of light. Keep the faith.

Re: Keep the Faith

Quote Originally Posted by 198bore View Post
    I don’t agree with the booing at all. This is a transition from years worth of crap football and it’s not going to click instantly. We need to support the gaffer and get behind the players or we’re f*cked.

First half was slow but there is at least intent to control the game. That will only get better as the team adjust and key players come in to replace the ones who struggle with passing the ball. It was clear by the end that Ralls and Colwill should be starting.

Second half we upped the tempo and created chances but couldn’t put them away. I thought Giles and Ng played well and got around their man several times, went inside and outside and got balls into the box. Ralls gave a fresh impetus and look to play balls forward. Mcguinness can carry the ball out of defence and link with the midfield. There were very few aimless balls up field which is a positive step in the right direction. If Ralls’ shot flies in the corner, Keiffer gets that tap in or Collo’s header goes in we get a deserved draw and keep up the momentum.

Conceding from set pieces is uncharacteristic of this team. We’ve got enough big lumps there to defend these situations. I thought Moore was poor by his standards and Davies faded after a bright start.

Cardiff City fans are very fickle at home and always have been

First half was like watching Trollope's team, side to side (or backwards) passing with no urgency or purpose.
    Nelson was shocking (which he continued into the second half).
    Bacuna ran around aimlessly for around 12/13 minutes before he even got on the ball. Unfortunately when he did get in the game he promptly gave the ball away with a poor pass and then conceded the corner that Hull scored from.
    Pack looked like he'd had a handful of valium before the game!

Having said that it was poor finishing that cost us in the end. Moore, Collins and McGuinness all had great chances which I'm sure they would all expect to finish at least 9 out of 10 times.

Overall it's one step back after two forward, so a disappointing night.

It was an extremely disappointing night after the positivity of the last few games especially when you factor in Hulls lowly position in the league.
    The midfield needs urgent tweaking as Pack was shocking last night ☹️

It was ponderous at times but I can see what Morison is trying to achieve. The defence are moving it around instead of lumping it, Mcguinness is stepping out and overlapping, the full backs are pushing up and being brave on the ball. A stronger midfield and this could actually work. Vaulks and Pack are just not good enough.

I agree - we weren't great but it was a slightly unfair reflection on the balance of play. We had two goals disallowed and hit the post twice. The players just look so low on confidence and booing is only going to make it worse.

I don't know what Pack has in his pocket, but how is he ever present and current captain.
    I know there is little strength in depth but Geeez!

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnysideup View Post
    It was an extremely disappointing night after the positivity of the last few games especially when you factor in Hulls lowly position in the league.
    Like we had no midfield again, vaulks, pack and bacuna are so weak I hope they dont play again…..

It was ponderous at times but I can see what Morison is trying to achieve. The defence are moving it around instead of lumping it, Mcguinness is stepping out and overlapping, the full backs are pushing up and being brave on the ball. A stronger midfield and this could actually work. Vaulks and Pack are just not good enough.
    Totally agree.

Glad you posted this.

I think we may see a formation change soon as well to a back 4. I know he probably only went with it as we were chasing the game and it was too frantic to notice if it was a 433 or a 4231, but he seems to be learning game by game.
    He tried the extra midfielder last night after making the change late on the game before. Maybe he's looking at a formation change..

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnysideup View Post
    I must be one of the very few that weren't disappointed.

I understand people's reasons why etc, but I'm just looking at it in a completely different way to others it seems.

First half was like watching a trollope team..positive being they can pass the bloody ball, like slaves walking after years in chains (dramatic I know) let's just revel in them passing and realise Morison hasn't had a great deal of time with them, hopefully the movement and other stuff comes next.

We attacked and created second half. It shows we have something to build off, WITH A BIT OF PATIENCE.

Bra ****ing vo sir.

The crowd began to get restless when Flint and McGuiness were passing the ball to each other. We're so conditioned to long ball football there seems to be no patience whatsoever. We've been crying out for more possession, well here's what it looks like! next step is to move the ball quicker and pick passes through the lines. The midfield that started last night isn't capable of that, though.

Morison got it completely wrong last night with Pack, Vaulks & Bacuna. The worrying factor is him defending Bacuna. I understand the need for patience when a team is developing a style or way of playing but I can't subscribe to being content watching professional footballers not being able to do their basic jobs. I went down last night. I paid to watch. I feel scammed.

The crowd began to get restless when Flint and McGuiness were passing the ball to each other. We're so conditioned to long ball football there seems to be no patience whatsoever. We've been crying out for more possession, well here's what it looks like! next step is to move the ball quicker and pick passes through the lines. The midfield that started last night isn't capable of that, though.
    With no purpose. It was pointless.

They'll need more time with the manager to work on movement, but baby steps eh.

I don't get it, people are happy to lump the ball forward and lose it, which isn't great to watch.
    Yet when we keep the ball, OK it wasn't great to watch but we weren't constantly giving the ball to the opposition, so we had possession of the ball and weren't in any danger to concede..fans don't like that? So they are happier to see us lump it forward and lose it than try and hold onto in and use it.

Baffles the brain.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    With no purpose. It was pointless.
    Give them time.

They've only just started passing the ball they aren't going to be moving around like 1986 ajax off the ball.

It's better than lumping it forward 60 yards and conceding possession and being on the defensive again and again.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Morison got it completely wrong last night with Pack, Vaulks & Bacuna. The worrying factor is him defending Bacuna. I understand the need for patience when a team is developing a style or way of playing but I can't subscribe to being content watching professional footballers not being able to do their basic jobs. I went down last night. I paid to watch. I feel scammed.
    Understand the need for patience. Then say you feel scammed at the end.

I am logging out for the day. Jesus wept.

I was there last night and yes there was frustration at the end .

I get we have to wait for a transition and it is not instant ,however what struck me was the lack of movement up front , no position interchanging , no getting to near post quicker , no looking to win a second ball from headed down from Moore , and our strikes / headers on goal were straight and weak to the keeper hands.

With no wrong movement and position in space it slows down the midfielders /defenders options , so they pause and pass back or sideways allowing the opposition to get into better positions , we then miss the opportunity to have the defenders on the back foot attacking at pace which I think is down the due to the lack of intelligent movement and variation of position in the oppositions half and penalty box.

I'm feeling positive overall. I rate Pack. He's slow but he can pass. I do not rate Vaulks at all. Sloppy defending for the goal. But I'm prepared to sacrifice "hard to beat" for "hard to stop". We're not getting relegated. I'm happy to wait.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Understand the need for patience. Then say you feel scammed at the end.

I am logging out for the day. Jesus wept.
    You need to read my comment again and then maybe it'll make more sense. No need to be a drama queen.

Sounds like we're talking about a junior school football team not a professional football team

We're slow in thought and across the grass but for me with the ball it all comes down to movement. We have next to none, first half was painful to see people standing around.

If players made runs, dropped into the space, then even our defenders could potentially find them with simple passes.

You then move the opposition defence around.

Slowly passing it between the cbs and then into the wing back (that has to drop back close to the touchline) who can only go back to the cb isn't really any more technical than what we had before.

2nd half was an improvement.

I don't agree with the boos either but I think it's over the whole season people are tired at seeing us lose at home so easily.

One thing that struck me last night was that a lot of our players didn't want seem to want the ball - whether it's subconsciously or not I don't know. But when we were in possession there was very little movement or space being found.

One exception was Isaak Davies who is probably playing without the baggage that the rest of the team have. The players need to be brave and we need to help out by not jumping on their back so easily.It's often not the layer in possession at fault but the lack of option they have in front of them. All jeering of booing does is increase the likelihood of a rash pass or a hoof upfield.

Quote Originally Posted by PhyllisStant View Post
    One thing that struck me last night was that a lot of our players didn't want seem to want the ball - whether it's subconsciously or not I don't know. But when we were in possession there was very little movement or space being found.

One exception was Isaak Davies who is probably playing without the baggage that the rest of the team have. The players need to be brave and we need to help out by not jumping on their back so easily.It's often not the layer in possession at fault but the lack of option they have in front of them. All jeering of booing does is increase the likelihood of a rash pass or a hoof upfield.
    It was very obvious that most of our players have little confidence in their ability to keep the ball when put under any pressure by the opposition.