+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: £6.50 a pint WTF

£6.50 a pint WTF

I’m in London for an interview with Polish Embassy for Visa & residents permits for family.

We went in the nearest pub to the hotel, ordered a beer & double G&T, £20.25 WTF. These London types earn far too much!

Re: £6.50 a pint WTF

Which part of Poland are you going to live in?
    I’ve been to Hel,Wrocław & Warsaw - we love it there - no family purely for leisure
    My German neighbour who travels there for work put us onto Poland as a travel destination about six years ago
    No wonder you’re moaning about London prices lol 😂

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnysideup View Post
    I’ve been to Hel,Wrocław & Warsaw - we love it there - no family purely for leisure
    My German neighbour who travels there for work put us onto Poland as a travel destination about six years ago
    No wonder you’re moaning about London prices lol ��
    Same, love Poland

Off to Krakow over Xmas looking forward to it

As for pint prices I bought a pint in Henry's Cardiff the other day - £6.00

God awful venue

Beer purchased in the last week going to the football and the pub quiz

Crewe Railway Station. San Miguel £6.39
    Stanley Arms, Preston. Heineken £4.25
    Preston FC. Amstel (I think). £4.20
    Station Hotel, Preston. Moretti £4.60
    Canton Wetherspoons. Heineken £3.10
    Cardiff City Stadium. Heineken £5.70
    Thee Elms, Whitchurch. San Miguel £4.15

So if you want a cheap session go to Wetherspoons.

When the average rent around here is 1600 a month for a basic 2 bed flat, we don’t really care about the extra quid on the price of a beer !

Where’s around here Kitman?
    I’m guessing you live in the Smoke?

Yes mate, I live in a place called Hanwell in West London. Just up the road from Brentford FC, not a bad “second team” to support at the moment

My brother is living in Kennington
    He’s been up there 17 years
    He wouldn’t come home to Wales ever he says 👍

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Beer purchased in the last week going to the football and the pub quiz

Crewe Railway Station. San Miguel £6.39
    Stanley Arms, Preston. Heineken £4.25
    Preston FC. Amstel (I think). £4.20
    Station Hotel, Preston. Moretti £4.60
    Canton Wetherspoons. Heineken £3.10
    Cardiff City Stadium. Heineken £5.70
    Thee Elms, Whitchurch. San Miguel £4.15
    Superspreader

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    I’m in London for an interview with Polish Embassy for Visa & residents permits for family.

We went in the nearest pub to the hotel, ordered a beer & double G&T, £20.25 WTF. These London types earn far too much!
    I work in central london. Over the course of last year, the prices have risen rapidly. I bought a pint and a glass of wine from a pub near my office when pubs could only serve people sat outside -came to £18. That round would previously have been £12, tops. It is hardly a fancy place, just a bog standard boozer. I asked what was going on and they basically said they had to hike prices to stay alive, and that does seem fair to be honest. Things don't seem to have dropped back down tho.

There are cheap places tho. Sam Smiths pubs (Chandos, Cheshire Cheese etc) are still very cheap, and of course there is always Wetherspoons whose prices bear no relation to anywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    I work in central london. Over the course of last year, the prices have risen rapidly. I bought a pint and a glass of wine from a pub near my office when pubs could only serve people sat outside -came to £18. That round would previously have been £12, tops. It is hardly a fancy place, just a bog standard boozer. I asked what was going on and they basically said they had to hike prices to stay alive, and that does seem fair to be honest. Things don't seem to have dropped back down tho.

There are cheap places tho. Sam Smiths pubs (Chandos, Cheshire Cheese etc) are still very cheap, and of course there is always Wetherspoons whose prices bear no relation to anywhere else.
    Are the pubs quieter? Surely at a certain point people will stop going if they're paying £18 for two drinks

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Are the pubs quieter? Surely at a certain point people will stop going if they're paying £18 for two drinks

Sounds like a conspiracy to me.

You know Christmas is coming when you pay £6.00 for a German sausage roll and £6.50 for a pint of suspect German beer

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    You know Christmas is coming when you pay £6.00 for a German sausage roll and £6.50 for a pint of suspect German beer
    Do you mean a German sausage roll or a sausage/wurst in a breadroll or bun? I can't remember ever seeing sausage rolls in Germany. No doubt they exist but are perhaps not ubiquitous.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post

It’s the same in restaurants too. Most main courses have risen 2 or 3 quid at every place. Almost impossible to find a main course under 10 quid now when just a year or two ago you got things for 7/8 quid

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnysideup View Post
    No wonder you’re moaning about London prices lol 😂
    We live in Ksawerow, just outside Łódź. I’ve just finished first year of a 3 year contract

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    If it is any quieter I've not noticed it. Soho in the summer was absolutely rammed when they closed off the streets to traffic and put additional outdoor seating outside in the road. In the ones around my office in the West End it is still pretty busy. Actually went for a drink on Friday last week and we ended up giving up as we were queuing for a good 10 mins. I'm off to a German restaurant/cafe tomorrow to meet some friends and a litre of beer there is £13-£14.50.

On the money thing: as the OP says, we are all minted anyway so it doesn't really matter; or living costs are so high it's immaterial. One or both is applicable to everyone. But seriously it has reached a point now where I deliberately go to the cheaper pubs to meet certain mates who really do feel it, and I am grateful when I do because it turns a £50 midweek drink into a £30 one!

Drink in Spoons pubs is best for one pocket but not for ones political allegiances old Tim the owner has some very forthright views , but wonderful price modelling

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Do you mean a German sausage roll or a sausage/wurst in a breadroll or bun? I can't remember ever seeing sausage rolls in Germany. No doubt they exist but are perhaps not ubiquitous.

An alleged German sausage presented in a bread roll, onions optional

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    An alleged German sausage presented in a bread roll, onions optional
    Thank God for that. I was worried.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Drink in Spoons pubs is best for one pocket but not for ones political allegiances old Tim the owner has some very forthright views , but wonderful price modelling
    Well my son works for them so …..