+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Why wouldn’t Asylum Seekers….

Re: Why wouldn’t Asylum Seekers….

The fact they don’t know the name of a particular capital city in any given country is irrelevant

Jesus Christ. I'm out

I don't understand why some people don't just say "I don't want foreigners in my country" instead of trying to hide their xenophobia under a load of "reasons" why they shouldn't come here.

Who’s that comment aimed at Eric?
    I merely asking why a sane person would make the perilous sea crossing where many have drowned before them when France have already OFFERED them sanctuary
    My question isn’t racist or xenophobic?????

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I don't understand why some people don't just say "I don't want foreigners in my country" instead of trying to hide their xenophobia under a load of "reasons" why they shouldn't come here.
    But Aussies, Canadians and Yanks are welcome coz they are a bit like us.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    But Aussies, Canadians and Yanks are welcome coz they are a bit like us.
    And most people here illegally are not from Syria,etc. They're from Australia/New Zealand/South Africa, who have let their work pass run out and stayed on.

Quote Originally Posted by Do me a Faerber View Post
    They do.

Turkey has 3.7million asylum seekers
    Germany has 1.2 million.

The UK 31,115 in 2021.

And the Daily Mail made you all think it was a massive problem. Keeps the spotlight off Boris though.
    Maybe they all come here realise how bad it is then do one….
    Is that totals for each country or one year?

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    And most people here illegally are not from Syria,etc. They're from Australia/New Zealand/South Africa, who have let their work pass run out and stayed on.
    Bollocks….where did you get that info? Why would an Ozzie for ie want to stay here?

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Bollocks….where did you get that info? Why would an Ozzie for ie want to stay here?
    fc6.jpg

Whilst figures are sketchy, i believe a home office report or FOI request a few years back had India, China, Australia, and America as the leading origins of undocumented people in the UK.

Don't know what "for ie" means, but basically, it's not asylum seekers getting smuggled in who are the big problem. This might be the study that I had read, reported elsewhere:

"Unauthorized immigrants are non-EU-EFTA citizens who entered the UK without permission and have an unlikely path to permanent residency. The population also includes those who may have entered lawfully but overstayed a visa. Asylum seekers waiting for a final decision in their case are included in the unauthorized immigrant population estimates. Their future status is uncertain as rejection rates are high."

https://www.pewresearch.org/global/f...nited-kingdom/

Of interest:
    snip - 2021-11-26T131904.755.jpg
    Source: https://assets.publishing.service.go...xit-checks.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    Whilst figures are sketchy, i believe a home office report or FOI request a few years back had India, China, Australia, and America as the leading origins of undocumented people in the UK.
    Plenty of Aussies get decent jobs in London and hang in a bit longer maybe to earn a wedge but they mainly all go back, the ones I know all have anyway

Plenty of Aussies get decent jobs in London and hang in a bit longer maybe to earn a wedge but they mainly all go back, the ones I know all have anyway
    I don't know the figures about Aussies and leaving/staying but this is no argument for anything

For ie

London has loads of Aussies/Kiwis/South Africans who’ve stayed on working and live here for good. It’s not an uncommon thing at all.

Also saying “the ones I know” doesn’t help any argument. Anecdotal evidence is almost always irrelevant.

It’s highly unlikely that they got here in an overcrowded inflatable dingy either 🤔

Fecking hell , let them all in.

Many refugees do seek asylum in France (and Germany, Sweden, Denmark etc...) but some of them end up here aswell. The language and family ties will be a huge factor for the ones who go that extra step.

It's an interesting aspect of our superiority complex that we think everyone is bashing the door down to get into a British wonderland.

From Parliment's official website and the Government's official website :

The number of asylum applications to the UK peaked in 2002 at 84,132. After that the number fell sharply to reach a twenty-year low point of 17,916 in 2010, before rising again to reach 35,737 in 2019. https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk...fings/sn01403/

It was 37235 in 2021 https://www.gov.uk/government/statis...-protection-to

In 2020, there were around 6 asylum applications for every 10,000 people living in the UK. Across the EU27 there were 11 asylum applications for every 10,000 people. When compared with EU countries, the UK ranked 14th out of the individual countries in terms of the number of asylum applications per capita. https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk...fings/sn01403/

The reason you think there's a new crisis is because certain elements of the media and Government have decided they want you to think there's a crisis

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    For ie

London has loads of Aussies/Kiwis/South Africans who’ve stayed on working and live here for good. It’s not an uncommon thing at all.

Also saying “the ones I know” doesn’t help any argument. Anecdotal evidence is almost always irrelevant.
    Thanks for that….not on the list are they so they aren’t the issue