+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Why wouldn’t Asylum Seekers….

Why wouldn’t Asylum Seekers….

Not take up Asylum in France??
    Saw it on the news this morning.
    The French government apparently have offered the Asylum Seekers a place of refuge which would ultimately I presume in time lead to a French Citizenship.
    I for one love France 🇫🇷
    Come on it’s got everything
    You could live rurally- near the coast or there’s City life
    The weather depending which area you choose to settle is great especially down south.
    The food is amazing and classic French cuisine is a basic requirement of any budding Chef.
    The French are mad on sport, come on there’s football- Rugby and pétanque
    Of course there’s also the accent
    Wow
    My Mrs gets wet listening to the French accent- Thierry Henry with the VaVaVoom and now the legend that is David Ginola on I’m a celebrity every night
    Bedtime has been great since last Sunday 😊
    Which takes me back to the question and the more serious situation these people find themselves in
    If you really were offered refuge in France why would you risk crossing a dangerous stretch of freezing water in an inflatable overcrowded dingy to get here??

Re: Why wouldn’t Asylum Seekers….

"If you really were offered refuge in France why would you risk crossing a dangerous stretch of freezing water in an inflatable overcrowded dingy to get here??"

There must be some pretty major reasons. Two that I'd imagine is language and friends/family already here.

If you'd travelled all that way, risking death, with your brother, for example, would you say "ah well, I'll never see him again and I can just stay here where I can't communicate with anyone and am completely alone for the rest of my life"

Or "I've already got this far, what's one more obstacle?"

I was thinking this myself.

IMO, if a person is genuinely fleeing oppression, then he should claim asylum in the FIRST safe country he enters, as per international law.
    As soon as he leaves one safe country, he becomes an "economic migrant" and loses any claim for asylum.

If you already have family here I completely get it Lardy- but if you don’t then the question still stands.
    Why
    Is France a worse place to live than the Uk?

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnysideup View Post
    If you already have family here I completely get it Lardy- but if you don’t then the question still stands.
    Why
    It's probably worse if you speak English not French and have paid someone to take you to the UK.

You asked why they would risk death, and why would anyone risk death unless they had very compelling reasons to do so? I expect that none of us could ever relate.

Why
    they could become French citizens get a job and come over and see family / friends if needed

There’s another conundrum
    Why the feck would someone PAY a smuggler to get you to the UK when you can get to France or any other country for that matter for nothing?
    Is there something we don’t actually know about that’s so special everyone wants to come here??

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    I was thinking this myself.

IMO, if a person is genuinely fleeing oppression, then he should claim asylum in the FIRST safe country he enters, as per international law.
    As soon as he leaves one safe country, he becomes an "economic migrant" and loses any claim for asylum.
    Wrong.

https://fullfact.org/immigration/ref...-safe-country/

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    they could become French citizens get a job and come over and see family / friends if needed
    Or become British residents having had an asylum claim processed and accepted, as per their human rights. 48% of asylum claims were rejected in 2019, by the way. In 2004, it was 88%. Tories are soft on this, despite all their pontificating.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    They could indeed, the silly sausages.

They could go to the coast (or city, both are nice), get themselves a good job, enjoy the restaurants and Thierry Henry accents, perhaps watch a bit of rugby on the weekend, save up and then spend their holidays visiting their friends and family if they need to.

And instead they're all risking death! Unbelievable really!

There’s another conundrum
    Why the feck would someone PAY a smuggler to get you to the UK when you can get to France or any other country for that matter for nothing?
    Is there something we don’t actually know about that’s so special everyone wants to come here??
    How would you cross the channel for nothing?

Instead of paying people smugglers huge amounts of cash why don’t they keep hold of their passports and travel to the first safe country jump on a plane- there’s plenty of low budget airlines and fly to the UK
    Wouldn’t that make more sense than risking your life making the perilous journey across the channel?
    Exactly how many of you would make the same journey from Dover to Calais in a dingy ?

most of them do stay in the first safe country they come to

Istanbul to London by plane
    Easy

Cut out the middle man

Instead of paying people smugglers huge amounts of cash why don’t they keep hold of their passports and travel to the first safe country jump on a plane- there’s plenty of low budget airlines and fly to the UK
    Wouldn’t that make more sense than risking your life making the perilous journey across the channel?
    Exactly how many of you would make the same journey from Dover to Calais in a dingy ?
    Because their passports wouldn't have visas, so the airlines would have to reject them. If they managed to get past the airlines, where checks are stringent but not complete, they would then fail at immigration control. Technically, they could seek asylum at that point, but realistically they would just get deported all the way back.

If I was desperate, I may very well make the same journey from Dover to Calais, but the UK isn't quite that bad yet. Give it a few years though.

100% of people would do that, given the choice - which makes me think that perhaps jumping on a budget airline isn't an option for them?

And it also makes me think you're on a windup in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    most of them do stay in the first safe country they come to
    They do.

Turkey has 3.7million asylum seekers
    Germany has 1.2 million.

The UK 31,115 in 2021.

And the Daily Mail made you all think it was a massive problem. Keeps the spotlight off Boris though.

We’re back to my original question
    Is France A WORSE PLACE TO LIVE THAN THE UK
    France (according to Sky News) HAVE offered these Asylum Seekers or Refugees or whatever you want to call them- refuge
    They can stay and live in France
    It’s as safe in France as here
    Why risk death drowning in the channel when you’ve been offered sanctuary
    Unless like Lardy suggested they already have friends or family here then to me it doesn’t make sense?

Feedback

maybe they speak English and not French or German, therefore feel they have a better chance in a country that speaks English. Or it may be that we have a history of welcoming foreign nationals and those fleeing oppression...

who cares what their reasons are, there's plenty of room for all of them

And I’m 100%not on a wind up Lardy
    I’m offended you actually suggested the notion
    I just can’t get my head around these people wanting to risk their lives and the lives of their kids and unborn children- a pregnant woman drowned this week
    France have offered them sanctuary
    Why make the crossing?
    Can’t get my head around it sorry
    If you were in their situation god forbid where would you Stop?

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    There must be some pretty major reasons. Two that I'd imagine is language and friends/family already here
    Exactly that according to this - https://inews.co.uk/news/migrants-wh...51?ITO=newsnow

Quote Originally Posted by Feedback View Post
    maybe they speak English and not French or German, therefore feel they have a better chance in a country that speaks English. Or it may be that we have a history of welcoming foreign nationals and those fleeing oppression...

who cares what their reasons are, there's plenty of room for all of them
    No there's not plenty of room for them.....especially when they all want to live in Westminster.

Easy life.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    Easy life.
    bollocks