+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Why wouldn’t Asylum Seekers….

Re: Why wouldn’t Asylum Seekers….

I don't think for a moment that either of the two major battling parties here are racist in any way but that which they have in common is probably lost in the midst of heated debate.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    I don't think you've listened to a word I've said.

Just the usual rhetoric pouring out about how anyone who thinks differently from the usual loud voices is some kind of devil.

I just think you guys are divisive and wrong and support positions that will make race relations worse
    I think I'm coming around to your way of thinking. Asking racists to say that Black Lives Matter will make race relations worse whereas asking them to say All Lives Matter, so they specifically don't need to say anything about black people, won't. It's all about not making racists uncomfortable with their prejudiced views.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I think I'm coming around to your way of thinking. Asking racists to say that Black Lives Matter will make race relations worse whereas asking them to say All Lives Matter, so they specifically don't need to say anything about black people, won't. It's all about not making racists uncomfortable with their prejudiced views.
    I don't think you get the criticisms at all. I think you are creating a more sectarian world that is rooted in emphasis of differences . I know thats not your intention but that, I believe, will be the result, and there's growing evidence on that

The original point I made was about NOT making stereotypes.
    Here, btw is the father of Ahmaud Arbery (you probably know the case) stating that all lives matter. It doesnt have to be a divisive phrase. It can be a basic principle around which society as a whole can rally.

https://twitter.com/ShellenbergerMD/...22238452678658

I think the whole debate is far more complex and nuanced and just demanding people unquestionably support BLM is not healthy. In time, I think that viewpoint will become clearer and we will view the last few years as a very divisive period that produced a lot of heat and little light.

Nearly everyone wants the same thing here, it's just about how we go about it and achieve it and in that everyone needs to be open to understanding different approaches

I don't think you get the criticisms at all. I think you are creating a more sectarian world that is rooted in emphasis of differences . I know thats not your intention but that, I believe, will be the result, and there's growing evidence on that

The original point I made was about NOT making stereotypes.
    Here, btw is the father of Ahmaud Arbery (you probably know the case) stating that all lives matter. It doesnt have to be a divisive phrase. It can be a basic principle around which society as a whole can rally.

https://twitter.com/ShellenbergerMD/...22238452678658

I think the whole debate is far more complex and nuanced and just demanding people unquestionably support BLM is not healthy. In time, I think that viewpoint will become clearer and we will view the last few years as a very divisive period that produced a lot of heat and little light.

Nearly everyone wants the same thing here, it's just about how we go about it and achieve it and in that everyone needs to be open to understanding different approaches
    He's still here ff sake

You don't have to support BLM and attend every demo

But you do not portray yourself as the balanced individual you think you are by doing exactly what the dimwit does , in a more subtle way .....and that is criticise BLM by shouting all lives matter

You are totally missing the point , purposely , to avoid the truth

You would make a great front man for the all lives matter lot , a sort of suit and tie approach to make them respectable

copious amounts of waffle
    3 words. Black lives matter. This should be about reaching out to the black community to show that racism towards black people from white people is not tolerable.

I'd happily continue the theme and say Gay lives matter, reaching out to the gay community to show that abuse towards gay people is unacceptable. I'm saying this as a straight, white male.

You seem to think this creates sects.

You obviously prefer a vacuous, rhetorical statement which does piss all to acknowledge the abuse dished out to others. If I racially abused someone and went back to apologies and said all lives matter, I'd get punched.

You guys really aren't open to possibly seeing things differently so we'll leave it there.

I don't want to be that dick who gets on his high horse but just to demonstrate the point I have made in lots of threads now. Ten pages in and you are still arguing about this phrase vs that phrase, nobody has really mentioned anything to do with racism itself, how it is currently being tackled, what needs to change. Who cares what banner it is under, why does that matter so much?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    3 words. Black lives matter. This should be about reaching out to the black community to show that racism towards black people from white people is not tolerable.

I'd happily continue the theme and say Gay lives matter, reaching out to the gay community to show that abuse towards gay people is unacceptable. I'm saying this as a straight, white male.

You seem to think this creates sects.

You obviously prefer a vacuous, rhetorical statement which does piss all to acknowledge the abuse dished out to others. If I racially abused someone and went back to apologies and said all lives matter, I'd get punched.
    Eric I don't really want to get into this thread but surely the fact that All Lives Matter exists means it does create sects?

People are changing - I've said recently to someone stop being so ****ing racist. Would have I have said that a few years ago or privately just thought what a ****? Probably the latter. Let it happen organically and you'll capture more people in my opinion.

Anyway these tit-for-tat arguments are pathetic from both sides of the coin. About time this thread was locked and thrown in the politics forum (never thought i'd say that)

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    I don't want to be that dick who gets on his high horse but just to demonstrate the point I have made in lots of threads now. Ten pages in and you are still arguing about this phrase vs that phrase, nobody has really mentioned anything to do with racism itself, how it is currently being tackled, what needs to change. Who cares what banner it is under, why does that matter so much?
    It was a discussion about the phrase all lives matter and it’s connotations based on someone getting offended by a joke made about it.

There has been plenty of racism discussions on here but I don’t think that was ever the point here.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Eric I don't really want to get into this thread but surely the fact that All Lives Matter exists means it does create sects?

People are changing - I've said recently to someone stop being so ****ing racist. Would have I have said that a few years ago or privately just thought what a ****? Probably the latter. Let it happen organically and you'll capture more people in my opinion.

Anyway these tit-for-tat arguments are pathetic from both sides of the coin. About time this thread was locked and thrown in the politics forum (never thought i'd say that)
    People are changing because things like Black Lives Matter and taking the knee are putting it into peoples minds to be more aware of it.

Everything is going to create sects due to the human nature to disagree about things even anti racism.

Anti war and anti global warming protests create sects too does that mean we should just tip toe around neutrally while everyone ****s everything up.

All just does my head in. It's the relentless abuse that gets me that never seemingly takes any account of the point being made (which I will usually be at pains to illustrate with evidence) and just endlessly slams the same point home I acknowledge I give as good as I get and I'm a stubborn f**Ker but I will never start the abuse.

Started with me saying that 'all lives matter' can be a legitimate phrase (consider how far we have fallen that this is controversial btw!). That leads to accusations of racism yet I then post a video taken only days ago of Ahmoud Arbery's own father using the phrase, thus proving my point. This is the guy whos black son was murdered last year.

I just wish people could be a little bit more open minded at the start and willing to consider an alternative opinion without a default position of assuming that opinion is coming from a bad place because in the vast majority of cases it isn't.

All just does my head in. It's the relentless abuse that gets me that never seemingly takes any account of the point being made (which I will usually be at pains to illustrate with evidence) and just endlessly slams the same point home I acknowledge I give as good as I get and I'm a stubborn f**Ker but I will never start the abuse.

Started with me saying that 'all lives matter' can be a legitimate phrase (consider how far we have fallen that this is controversial btw!). That leads to accusations of racism yet I then post a video taken only days ago of Ahmoud Arbery's own father using the phrase, thus proving my point. This is the guy whos black son was murdered last year.

I just wish people could be a little bit more open minded at the start and willing to consider an alternative opinion without a default position of assuming that opinion is coming from a bad place because in the vast majority of cases it isn't.
    Do agree its almost if you have a difference of view than your badged as a racist , gammon , Tory .

Its such a tired one dimensional and in honesty weak argument .

If all else fails they pick up on the weakness of some spelling or grammatical error to move the goalposts or deflect and belittle , so much for free speech and expression for all people views .

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    People are changing because things like Black Lives Matter and taking the knee are putting it into peoples minds to be more aware of it.
    Disagree.

Attitudes have been changing since I can remember. Way before any recent protests and slogans.

Disagree.

Attitudes have been changing since I can remember. Way before any recent protests and slogans.
    of course they have, my 2 girls really do not see the colour of someones skin / race of the person, same with the lgbtq community, the youngsters really are not bothered what your sexual preference is
    time moves on and the old prejudices are just fading into history

Disagree.

So you think it just came out of nowhere then? Or do you think maybe raised awareness of the situations helps?

Getting on my old hobby horse, I still feel that a separate Politics board is unnecessary (with the possible exception of Election time) as I feel there is often a wider discussion on the issues with people who would not normally look on the politics board having their perfectly valid two penn'orth in the argument.

Having said that if we are to have a separate board it is difficult to see why this thread is still on here. All I will say on this subject is that since I was old enough to realise these things, I have thought that racism is an evil thing which has no place on God's good earth but despite everyone's best efforts, it will still be around in the world for many, many years to come sadly.

I think pretty well all the contributors on this thread think the same thing. Unfortunately, as these things so often are, it has got sidetracked into an argument about semantics which I for one do not want to get involved with.

I think my highlighted words express my opinion clearly enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    So you think it just came out of nowhere then? Or do you think maybe raised awareness of the situations helps?
    What came out of nowhere?

All lives matter would have been a noble sentiment until the term Black Lives Matter was coined and there should be ways that it still could be a positive term (treatment of Covid for example), but it’s not going to be now is it - for me, that’s sad and something of an indictment on all of us because people on both sides of the argument are so quick to play the race card.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    All lives matter would have been a noble sentiment until the term Black Lives Matter was coined and there should be ways that it still could be a positive term (treatment of Covid for example), but it’s not going to be now is it - for me, that’s sad and something of an indictment on all of us because people on both sides of the argument are so quick to play the race card.
    I agree. Of course all lives matter - life is a very precious thing and also a very precarious thing which can be taken away in an instant. Somehow I doubt if such esoteric discussions are taking place in places like Yemen or Afghanistan where the lives of innocents are being lost daily.

I didn’t expect my opening question to gather such momentum
    I’m not a racist or xenophobic or homophobic or fat tittist
    I merely asked the question why would asylum seekers risk death in crossing the channel in an overcrowded dingy when France has offered these very people sanctuary?
    Simple?

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnysideup View Post
    I merely asked the question why would asylum seekers risk death in crossing the channel in an overcrowded dingy when France has offered these very people sanctuary?
    Simple?
    Purple & Yellow mopeds

That’s another thread SP Lol 😂

Simple?
    maybe they don't realise how dangerous the crossing is, maybe the few that do come have compelling reasons to try to get here, as we know the majority stay in France

That’s another thread SP Lol ��
    After a bit they all merge into one on here, how's Liverpool doing?........this thread’s been done to death.