Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Why wouldn’t Asylum Seekers….

Re: Why wouldn’t Asylum Seekers….

The bottom line is that it’s full of French people

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    I was thinking this myself.

IMO, if a person is genuinely fleeing oppression, then he should claim asylum in the FIRST safe country he enters, as per international law.
    As soon as he leaves one safe country, he becomes an "economic migrant" and loses any claim for asylum.
    Sounds like the kind of thing a lawyer for the furthest away country would say. We helped create the problems that all of these people are fleeing from, why shouldn't we be a small part of the solution?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    Sounds like the kind of thing a lawyer for the furthest away country would say. We helped create the problems that all of these people are fleeing from, why shouldn't we be a small part of the solution?
    I'm very sure that if the UK had a land border with a country that had refugees, all the people arguing "first safe haven" would instead be arguing "European countries should work with each other to share it out"

It's NIMBY and isn't fooling anyone.

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    You could be onto something here for decades Brits have failed to see the benefits of 'free movement' are you suggesting Polish ladies have those attributes ?
    Polish women are hard work. Leave well alone

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    I'm very sure that if the UK had a land border with a country that had refugees, all the people arguing "first safe haven" would instead be arguing "European countries should work with each other to share it out"

It's NIMBY and isn't fooling anyone.
    Well quite.

I still can't see the issue with letting them all in.

The cornerstone of our legal system is that its better to let 10 guilty men go free than punish one innocent man.

If they are asylum seekers, then we need to help them. If they turn out to be economic migrants then so what.

We should have asylum centres on the French side. Anyone processed there has a right to entry.

Just got on to this fascinating thread and I have to say as much as I admire the OP he's being a bit of a tease on this one.

Why would anyone prefer this country over France, (even though our benefits are far worse than Continental Europe!)

Well, apart from the obvious family ties, which I thought no should have nailed the answer...

We have Shakespeare, Byron, Keats and Milton...
    We have Constable, Turner and Gainsborough...
    We have Holst, Sergeant and Taverner...
    We have Newton, Clarke-Maxwell and Steven Hawking...
    We have Thomas Hobbes, David Hume and Bertrand Russell...
    We have Tom Jones, Roger Moore and Ant and Dec for the ladies...
    We have wonderful coasts and magnificent mountains, we have history, intrigue and tradition...
    We used to have a proud belief in right and wrong before Brexit...
    We have the Beatles...
    What's not to like?

I for one feel proud and honoured that these poor people hoped to choose our lovely country over the rest. I weep for their misfortune and sacrifice.

However, what I cannot understand is this...

Our buffoon of a Prime Minister and his evil henchwoman Pritti Patel have wailed so loudly about how sad they are that this tragedy occurred. One wonders, if that is the case why didn't they send out a rescue ship to ensure these poor people reached our great shores safe and sound? In answer to the OP I'm so proud these wretched people wanted refuge in my country; what a shame we are being governed by racist fools.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53699511

The UK take less than Greece then, less than half of what those beret wearing, garlic munching, surrender monkeys Froggies do?

We’re being stitched up here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53699511

The UK take less than Greece then, less than half of what those beret wearing, garlic munching, surrender monkeys Froggies do?

We’re being stitched up here.
    Pretty much all the "unanswered" questions from this thread are addressed in this article.

Of those that wanted to travel to England more than half (52%), said they already had a family member there.

"They have a connection to the UK, they speak some English, they have family, they have friends and people in their networks. They want to come and stay and rebuild their lives," says Enver Solomon, chief executive of the Refugee Council.

Many migrants already choose to make an asylum claim in the first country they arrive in - such as Greece, Turkey or Italy - and only a minority choose to travel on to the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Very good......and will be thrown into conversation by me with no ‘nicking it’ embarrassment

https://twitter.com/greg_jenner/stat...JUjBUjZeg&s=19

this kind of thing makes you ashamed to be British

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post

Tenner says those people were shouting "All Lives Matter" at some point in recent history as well

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Tenner says those people were shouting "All Lives Matter" at some point in recent history as well
    Why would you say that? It's awful to stop the RNLI doing their work, but the principle of all lives matter is valid.

Can you name the six victims of the Waukesha parade attack last week?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post

It's like the deep south chickenshit cracker land , I am afraid lots of people have this attitude in the UK

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Why would you say that? It's awful to stop the RNLI doing their work, but the principle of all lives matter is valid.

All lives matter is a far right protest gesture cry trying to suggest black lives matter don't care about white lives

Which is of course bullshit , it was about the maltreatment of black men by the police in America

You see it all over social media scrawled by people who say they are not racists before going off on one and end up being racist

All lives matter is racist white society's attempt to deflect what at its heart is what black lives matter is all about .

Trying to legitimise all lives matter is cobblers

Yes

All lives matter as a philosophy is valid but the phrase itself is as dog whistle as it comes and doesn’t actually mean all lives matter because it’s used to hide the fact that racism occurs.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    All lives matter is a far right protest gesture cry trying to suggest black lives matter don't care about white lives

Which is of course bullshit , it was about the maltreatment of black men by the police in America

You see it all over social media scrawled by people who say they are not racists before going off on one and end up being racist

All lives matter is racist white society's attempt to deflect what at its heart is what black lives matter is all about .

Trying to legitimise all lives matter is cobblers
    Sorry, BLM will not solve race issues here or anywhere else. It's the wrong tactic and we are seeing that in the aftermath of Waukesha in the unbelievable difference in reporting.

I just don't see why the link would be made. It's truly awful to prevent the RNLI from doing their work whereas the principle of all lives mattering is a valid stance and more progressive at hears, admittedly with fringe extremists although that goes for BLM too.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    All lives matter as a philosophy is valid but the phrase itself is as dog whistle as it comes and doesn’t actually mean all lives matter because it’s used to hide the fact that racism occurs.
    It may be. For some people. But the point is you can stand by all lives matter as s solid progressive principle and it doesn't mean you advocate stopping the RNLI saving lives.

The world is nuanced

Near does blm.

All lives matter was invented by people trying to detract from BLM.

It’s disingenuous and anyone should be able to see that.

Most people think all lives matter but don’t say it because they know the connotations.

It may be. For some people. But the point is you can stand by all lives matter as s solid progressive principle and it doesn't mean you advocate stopping the RNLI saving lives.

The world is nuanced
    "all lives matter" as a slogan was clearly started as a response to "black lives matter" to try to diminish or counter the message. almost everyone I've seen using it seem much more interested in rejecting the aspirations of BLM than actually doing anything to support "all lives".

I'm sure there are some people out there who are ignorant of the origin of the phrase, and who can't understand why saying that "all lives matter" has racial connotations

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Near does blm.

All lives matter was invented by people trying to detract from BLM.

It’s disingenuous and anyone should be able to see that.

Most people think all lives matter but don’t say it because they know the connotations.
    Yeah, I get it. Personally I think BLM is very very divisive. There's a lot of issues associated with parts of the movement in the US and I genuinely don't think it's progressive at all.

I think it's gained traction as a result of BLM which obviously isn't inclusive and the hyper partisan media in the US.

Point is, you can have a profound belief in principle that all lives matter and hold that reasonably and it doesn't have anything to do with preventing the RNLI from saving lives.

I appreciate it was said in jest but I think that's just an example of how divisive the whole topic has become.

Yeah, I get it. Personally I think BLM is very very divisive. There's a lot of issues associated with parts of the movement in the US and I genuinely don't think it's progressive at all.

I think it's gained traction as a result of BLM which obviously isn't inclusive and the hyper partisan media in the US.

Point is, you can have a profound belief in principle that all lives matter and hold that reasonably and it doesn't have anything to do with preventing the RNLI from saving lives.

I appreciate it was said in jest but I think that's just an example of how divisive the whole topic has become.
    Your posts show the opposite.

Sorry, BLM will not solve race issues here or anywhere else. It's the wrong tactic and we are seeing that in the aftermath of Waukesha in the unbelievable difference in reporting.

I just don't see why the link would be made. It's truly awful to prevent the RNLI from doing their work whereas the principle of all lives mattering is a valid stance and more progressive at hears, admittedly with fringe extremists although that goes for BLM too.
    BLM will not solve the problem of racism but its a start

All lives matter is cried out by on the whole racists who simply use the phrase to deflect from their own racism . Its yeah but what about us ! ......without accepting the clear reason for protest by black people affected by racism in the first place .

I think shouting out ....all lives matter ! ....is clearly a defensive cry that wouldn't be needed if the issue of racism was addressed in the first place .

A bloke I know has a shop where he pontificate to people who are in there long enough about George Floyd being a bad guy ......which he was .....without talking about the racism that killed him . During the BLM summer he was full of stuff he had lifted from the Internet from mostly dubious sources about the protestors all being ....Marxists! .....and that the knee on his neck not being in any way related to his death . He was a black historian , a toxicologist , a pathologist and a scenes of crime expert , every day in his shop . Where no black people would go , in a town where very few black people lived and in his life where he didn't know any black people .

He is an idiot and as soon as the all lives matter cry went up , he was shouting .

There are loads of people like him , just in Wales .

Racists .