+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Why wouldn’t Asylum Seekers….

Re: Why wouldn’t Asylum Seekers….

Hmmm, if I was living under a bridge with rats to keep me company, would I be thinking of the quality of French sport, the sophisticated bars and buildings, the beautiful country side and maybe, just maybe, a chateau if I work hard enough and the French property market levels out? Add to that, a biffing accent that makes the ladies quiver.
    Or would I be thinking of getting to a country with a sizeable community from my culture, country or surrounding countries with the chance of a bed and the opportunity to earn a few quid on the black market. It's a difficult decision.

That’s an interesting read Undercoverinwurzelland
    It answers a lot of questions
    Still though it says fifty percent have no family ties here
    It’s really sad that these cast outs are unwanted- I say cast out because the Syrian despot Assad is a genicidal maniac and can understand them fleeing
    Where do you stop though
    That’s the conundrum the politicians are politicking over
    Who does what to help?

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnysideup View Post
    And I’m 100%not on a wind up Lardy
    I’m offended you actually suggested the notion
    I just can’t get my head around these people wanting to risk their lives and the lives of their kids and unborn children- a pregnant woman drowned this week
    France have offered them sanctuary
    Why make the crossing?
    Can’t get my head around it sorry
    If you were in their situation god forbid where would you Stop?
    They've had experiences that we haven't had, so we can't imagine it. Not just you, none of us can.

There's a Malcolm Gladwell book (called David and Goliath) where he talks about direct hits/near misses/remote misses. For example, before WWII the British government were terrified of the Germans bombing London, and planned evacuations and mental institutions on the outskirts of London, expecting thousands of people to be psychologically damaged. The government was terrified of how people would react to being bombed.

Then the Blitz happened and London was bombed every night for about six months. Some died (direct hits), some nearly did (near misses) but the vast majority of people experienced remote misses. Once the bombing started, they realised it wasn't so bad. The government was wrong and people weren't terrified but the remote misses gave everyone confidence and now we call it the Blitz Spirit.

I'm sure that if I had lived in London in 1941, I'd never have had a wink of sleep, but chances are that I'd have been a remote miss and part of the Blitz Spirit.

Perhaps those asylum seekers are remote misses. They've survived a lot, and perhaps it hasn't even been that bad for them. So why not take that boat across the channel? You and me would never know what it's like for them.

That’s a fair shout Lardy and I completely agree with everything you’ve just said
    My late grandmother lived on a farm in Upper Boat (where Tesco is now) and took in evacuated children so I get what you’re saying
    It’s the fact that France has offered sanctuary
    Why carry on your journey?
    France is a great country
    Why risk death by drowning?
    That’s the question NOBODY can answer

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    No there's not plenty of room for them.....especially when they all want to live in Westminster.
    Bloody Tory MPs

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    They've had experiences that we haven't had, so we can't imagine it. Not just you, none of us can.

There's a Malcolm Gladwell book (called David and Goliath) where he talks about direct hits/near misses/remote misses. For example, before WWII the British government were terrified of the Germans bombing London, and planned evacuations and mental institutions on the outskirts of London, expecting thousands of people to be psychologically damaged. The government was terrified of how people would react to being bombed.

Then the Blitz happened and London was bombed every night for about six months. Some died (direct hits), some nearly did (near misses) but the vast majority of people experienced remote misses. Once the bombing started, they realised it wasn't so bad. The government was wrong and people weren't terrified but the remote misses gave everyone confidence and now we call it the Blitz Spirit.

I'm sure that if I had lived in London in 1941, I'd never have had a wink of sleep, but chances are that I'd have been a remote miss and part of the Blitz Spirit.

Perhaps those asylum seekers are remote misses. They've survived a lot, and perhaps it hasn't even been that bad for them. So why not take that boat across the channel? You and me would never know what it's like for them.
    Brilliant post

Why do refugees and asylum seekers want to come to the West? Because ANYWHERE is better then where they're coming from. Why do they want to come to the UK? It's a combination of a tolerant population, the English language, ease of finding work, and family.

You'd think with present labour shortages that the UK would want migrants to come here, to do the jobs the East Europeans used to do, but the government set their stall out at the last election, as regards immigration, and probably feel reluctant to change tack, and start welcoming them instead. My thoughts are that actually, most people have no objections to immigrants coming here to work, and this idea that Brexit was a racist vote is far from the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    Why do refugees and asylum seekers want to come to the West? Because ANYWHERE is better then where they're coming from. Why do they want to come to the UK? It's a combination of a tolerant population, the English language, ease of finding work, and family.

You'd think with present labour shortages that the UK would want migrants to come here, to do the jobs the East Europeans used to do, but the government set their stall out at the last election, as regards immigration, and probably feel reluctant to change tack, and start welcoming them instead. My thoughts are that actually, most people have no objections to immigrants coming here to work, and this idea that Brexit was a racist vote is far from the truth.
    I disagree , the animosity towards refugees and anyone entering the country is higher than its ever been

It used to be just far right football idiots but now everyone seems to be wading in

In my opinion

That’s the question NOBODY can answer
    Err I think quite a few people have answered it on this thread

They haven’t Delmbox
    Family ties aside
    What possible reason would a sane person have in making a perilous sea crossing in an overcrowded rubber dingy armed with the knowledge many have drowned before them when France HAVE OFFERED sanctuary/ safe haven whatever you want to call it.
    Is the UK a better country to live in or are these desperate people brainwashed with propaganda that the UK is utopia?

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I disagree , the animosity towards refugees and anyone entering the country is higher than its ever been

It used to be just far right football idiots but now everyone seems to be wading in

In my opinion
    except the majority on this thread who it would appear are rather welcoming of those wishing to come here and make a life for themselves.

They haven’t Delmbox
    Family ties aside
    What possible reason would a sane person have in making a perilous sea crossing in an overcrowded rubber dingy armed with the knowledge many have drowned before them when France HAVE OFFERED sanctuary/ safe haven whatever you want to call it.
    Is the UK a better country to live in or are these desperate people brainwashed with propaganda that the UK is utopia?
    Maybe possibly the latter

It isn't obviously a utopia

But Germany , France , Belgium , Holland etc are democratic ....ish , Liberal.....ish places compared to parts of the Middle East for example

I think the problem is people cannot see the difference between people crossing the channel , illegal immigrants , immigrants and people who are not European but have been born and brought up here

They haven’t Delmbox
    Family ties aside
    Well no, you can't "put family ties aside" then say there's no answer. It doesn't work like that.

"Berlin aside, no one has an idea what the capital of Germany is"

See how it works?

Quote Originally Posted by Feedback View Post
    except the majority on this thread who it would appear are rather welcoming of those wishing to come here and make a life for themselves.
    Well that's this one thread , it's hardly representative

You could go on other related forums and the difference is clear

And social media in general

This country has shifted to the right especially in terms of this topic

Of course it does Delmbox
    Read the blurb Undercoverinwurzelland took the time to find and post on this thread
    An interesting read from the refugee council
    Family ties the Asylum seekers already have here in the UK
    That’s their motivation to come here
    I get that point
    You obviously don’t

The fact they don’t know the name of a particular capital city in any given country is irrelevant

Jesus Christ. I'm out

I don't understand why some people don't just say "I don't want foreigners in my country" instead of trying to hide their xenophobia under a load of "reasons" why they shouldn't come here.

Who’s that comment aimed at Eric?
    I merely asking why a sane person would make the perilous sea crossing where many have drowned before them when France have already OFFERED them sanctuary
    My question isn’t racist or xenophobic?????

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I don't understand why some people don't just say "I don't want foreigners in my country" instead of trying to hide their xenophobia under a load of "reasons" why they shouldn't come here.
    But Aussies, Canadians and Yanks are welcome coz they are a bit like us.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    But Aussies, Canadians and Yanks are welcome coz they are a bit like us.
    And most people here illegally are not from Syria,etc. They're from Australia/New Zealand/South Africa, who have let their work pass run out and stayed on.

Quote Originally Posted by Do me a Faerber View Post
    They do.

Turkey has 3.7million asylum seekers
    Germany has 1.2 million.

The UK 31,115 in 2021.

And the Daily Mail made you all think it was a massive problem. Keeps the spotlight off Boris though.
    Maybe they all come here realise how bad it is then do one….
    Is that totals for each country or one year?

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    And most people here illegally are not from Syria,etc. They're from Australia/New Zealand/South Africa, who have let their work pass run out and stayed on.
    Bollocks….where did you get that info? Why would an Ozzie for ie want to stay here?

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Bollocks….where did you get that info? Why would an Ozzie for ie want to stay here?
    fc6.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Whilst figures are sketchy, i believe a home office report or FOI request a few years back had India, China, Australia, and America as the leading origins of undocumented people in the UK.