+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Have we got the worst midfield in the championship?

Have we got the worst midfield in the championship?

Big thread on a facebook post from Wales Online about the booing of Bacuna.

Pretty much 99.9% saying how much of a waste of space he is

Then I look at our squad and struggle to see people that are any better

Re: Have we got the worst midfield in the championship?

Unfortunately for us the senior pro’s haven’t been performing
    We as fans PAY good money to watch these players and have a right to voice our opinion in the only way we know how
    To boo or jeer
    We’ve had more than our fair share of underwhelming football including Managers lately
    That’s life ☹️

I'm never really sure what to make of Bacuna. He certainly seems to have the stamina and guile needed to be a good midfielder. He's strong, fairly quick, and can score goals, when the opportunity arises. However, he has not been helped by being played in a multitude of positions, instead of sticking to one that he might be good at. To me, his best role is sat behind the front two, but wherever he plays, he seems unable to stick to that position. He has a habit of following the ball around the pitch, not going back to his proper place, and this often leads to him being 'missing' from where he should be.
    I'm sure he would do well in a stronger team, but at the moment, we need everyone to do their job, and to be there when they're needed. Sadly Bacuna is often somewhere else. I'd also add that he's not the only one who sometimes lets their concentration slip.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    I'm never really sure what to make of Bacuna. He certainly seems to have the stamina and guile needed to be a good midfielder. He's strong, fairly quick, and can score goals, when the opportunity arises. However, he has not been helped by being played in a multitude of positions, instead of sticking to one that he might be good at. To me, his best role is sat behind the front two, but wherever he plays, he seems unable to stick to that position. He has a habit of following the ball around the pitch, not going back to his proper place, and this often leads to him being 'missing' from where he should be.
    I'm sure he would do well in a stronger team, but at the moment, we need everyone to do their job, and to be there when they're needed. Sadly Bacuna is often somewhere else. I'd also add that he's not the only one who sometimes lets their concentration slip.
    No players can ‘hide’ in any Championship team, which is unfortunately what he does regularly. Can you see him playing for Fulham, West Brom or Bournemouth because I certainly cant. There is no doubt he has ability but he gives the impression that he doesn't want to be here and is not giving 100%. Say what you like about Pack and Vaulks technical ability but when they come off the pitch, no one can accuse them of not having worked hard and got up a sweat.

in central midfield we have the same players that have been here for a couple of years. Pack, Ralls, Vaulks and Bacuna are all senior players at this level.
    while they might not dominate other teams l, it shouldn't be a weakness for us.

on paper the weakest part of our team is the attacking midfield area, where we've pretty much had to rely on youngsters to play almost all of the minutes. they've done ok in patches but as many have said you expect them to have inconsistent performances while they are still learning.
    I wonder if we had more influential players in the attacking positions (a Harry Wilson for example) then it might make the CM job a little easier.

aside from potentially bringing Ryan Wintle back I don't see them as strengthening in CM in January . and judging by recent interviews it doesn't seem as though we are in a hurry to bring Wintle back.
    there will need to be big changes in the summer though as ralls, pack and vaulks are out of contract.
    I think they'll bring In an attacking midfielder in January

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnysideup View Post
    We as fans PAY good money to watch these players
    Because you want to, no one's making you

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    No players can ‘hide’ in any Championship team, which is unfortunately what he does regularly. Can you see him playing for Fulham, West Brom or Bournemouth because I certainly cant. There is no doubt he has ability but he gives the impression that he doesn't want to be here and is not giving 100%. Say what you like about Pack and Vaulks technical ability but when they come off the pitch, no one can accuse them of not having worked hard and got up a sweat.
    I was thinking about this after the game against Hull.
    I can’t help but feel the Dalman recent comments with regards to any new manager not having money and would more than likely be forced to release senior players as their contracts expire, May have had an effect on their mindset.
    Clearly a number can’t help but come to the conclusion that they will be offloaded in the summer.
    Many might say that they should play hard to get another club interested but it doesn’t always work that way.
    In retrospect I think the comments may have been harmful to the club and any new manager (such as Morison) who has to work with what he has.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post

The irony is from where I was in the canton the boos we're at the end and for the ref - the canton stood and applauded the players as they wandered off

There were ironic cheers from some for bacuna substitution which I don't agree with but certainly agreed with the substitution

I agree with Morison that we should get behind the team and I think in the main the majority do but it's hard when vaulks pack and bacuna are consistently poor and most fans I know are and have been saying we need to strengthen midfield for a few seasons now

But to answer your question of the 4 regular midfielders then yes we must be one of the weakest in the division at the moment

For me a future of Bowen sang and Ralls plus one or two others brought in or wintle returning would change the dynamic completely

Ledley is better than bacuna

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    can score goals, when the opportunity arises.
    Not sure 4 goals in 112 appearances for us is testimony to this; it is the worst goals per game ratio of all of our midfielders. Only Marlon Pack is more shot shy than Bacuna and Pack's shot accuracy is the worst of all our midfielders, second to Bacuna.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody's Rep View Post
    The irony is from where I was in the canton the boos we're at the end and for the ref - the canton stood and applauded the players as they wandered off

There were ironic cheers from some for bacuna substitution which I don't agree with but certainly agreed with the substitution

I agree with Morison that we should get behind the team and I think in the main the majority do but it's hard when vaulks pack and bacuna are consistently poor and most fans I know are and have been saying we need to strengthen midfield for a few seasons now

But to answer your question of the 4 regular midfielders then yes we must be one of the weakest in the division at the moment

For me a future of Bowen sang and Ralls plus one or two others brought in or wintle returning would change the dynamic completely
    Don't forget Patten and King as well, both of whom have been playing very well for the Under 23s and I'd add D'Almeida who has done well at right wing back, but is a good defensive midfielder.

Yes, most definitely. Bacuna, Pack and Vaulks are lower championship/upper First Division players. Three extremely bad buys by Warnock for this league.

Better than Bacuna.? Ralls Bowen Pack

I've been saying since we were promoted to the premiership our centre midfield is just not good enough, it's gotten a lot lot worse since then and I'm shocked it hasn't been a priority.

Quote Originally Posted by Doucas View Post
    I've been saying since we were promoted to the premiership our centre midfield is just not good enough, it's gotten a lot lot worse since then and I'm shocked it hasn't been a priority.
    The reason it hasn't been a priority is we've had the 4 senior CMs on long contracts and big wages for a long time. If we brought in more players that's someone on a big wage not playing games - and it would be difficult to move them on based on their wages . Also over the last few windows we've had huge holes in our playing squad that have needed to be addressed. There will definately be changes this summer though.....

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Better than Bacuna.? Ralls Bowen Pack
    Bowen could be but he has hardly played so hard to say for me.

This season I don't think Ralls or Pack have done much more.

Not just the midfield, the whole team have been well below their best which is why we are where we are.

I'm not sure I could say anyone has been better than average. Maybe Isaac Davies has impressed me most overall, seems to have something. Colwill possibly, but then other times doesn't look at all ready. Tough for them in this team though.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Bowen could be but he has hardly played so hard to say for me.

This season I don't think Ralls or Pack have done much more.

Not just the midfield, the whole team have been well below their best which is why we are where we are.

I'm not sure I could say anyone has been better than average. Maybe Isaac Davies has impressed me most overall, seems to have something. Colwill possibly, but then other times doesn't look at all ready. Tough for them in this team though.
    We've looked a lot better when Ralls has been on the pitch IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    We've looked a lot better when Ralls has been on the pitch IMO
    Definitely. On Wednesday night he made a massive difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody's Rep View Post

Totally agree with this post. Especially last paragraph. Sang, Bowen (when both fully fit) and Ralls have to be our midfield trio. I have had enough of Bacuna's sub standard performances and i can totally understand fans' frustrations. I was sincerely happy when he went off and IMO many of the cheers were shared with the fact Colwill was coming on, more so than Bacuna was going off.
    Spedger

Quote Originally Posted by Sloop_Jon_Bee View Post
    Totally agree with this post. Especially last paragraph. Sang, Bowen (when both fully fit) and Ralls have to be our midfield trio. I have had enough of Bacuna's sub standard performances and i can totally understand fans' frustrations. I was sincerely happy when he went off and IMO many of the cheers were shared with the fact Colwill was coming on, more so than Bacuna was going off.
    Spedger
    Agree with you on this. I think everyone wanted to see Colwill come on.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Don't forget Patten and King as well, both of whom have been playing very well for the Under 23s and I'd add D'Almeida who has done well at right wing back, but is a good defensive midfielder.
    You have the advantage as I know from your posts on here and your blogs that you watch the younger age groups so trust your judgement - I only hope that we stick with SM and see the fruits of the academy's labour because the small signs we have had so far is the futures bright we just need to stay in this division to benefit

Quote Originally Posted by Sloop_Jon_Bee View Post
    Spedger
    I think the booing has been exaggerated by WOL and was aimed more at the ref at the end and yes the cheering was support for Colwill

Easily the worst in the Championship and unless Steve ditches the Vaulks, Pack, Bacuna triumvirate it will become the worst midfield in League 1 next season.