+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Morrison hits back

Morrison hits back

We really do have to give him time. He can’t change everything over night.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...seven-22284626

Re: Morrison hits back

Absolutely. It's going to take time.

Clearly a more scientific approach than we've seen from previous managers. I liked what he said the other day about going through clips of the game with Zimba too. Proper modern football coaching.

Quote Originally Posted by ninian opinian View Post

I'm genuinely concerned by this kind of reaction at a press conference. Nobody forced him to take the job. Everyone understands the need for time. But for me, the only stat that matters is 100% wrong team selection. Hold your hands up and acknowledge you got it wrong and get on with the job because like it or not, you'll be measured as to where we finish in the table.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    Absolutely. It's going to take time.

Clearly a more scientific approach than we've seen from previous managers. I liked what he said the other day about going through clips of the game with Zimba too. Proper modern football coaching.

Alternatively, give him the film clips, invite him to analyse and review his analysis with the coaching staff

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    I'm genuinely concerned by this kind of reaction at a press conference. Nobody forced him to take the job. Everyone understands the need for time. But for me, the only stat that matters is 100% wrong team selection. Hold your hands up and acknowledge you got it wrong and get on with the job because like it or not, you'll be measured as to where we finish in the table.
    I get what you mean about his reaction in a press conference, but I'll hold fire on that until it is, hopefully, shown on the club website. As someone who has moaned non stop at the long ball stuff we've had to put up with for so long, it would be unfair to start criticising an approach which sees us value possession more, but I do wonder whether it was part of the plan to move the ball as slowly as we did in the first half against Hull in particular? Surely, there has to be a better tempo to our passing than there was on Wednesday if the intention is to create situations whereby people like Ryan Giles get one on ones? I'm struggling to remember a time when that happened in the first half on Wednesday.

Reading that, I also wonder why we went with players in midfield like Ralls and Bacuna whose passing is too unreliable for such an approach. What I would say though is that what Morrison is saying should be music to the ears of the young midfielders he had in the Under 23s because, as long as they can handle the step up well enough, I reckon they're better equipped to play that way than some of the seniors in the first team squad - someone like Sam Bowen should be playing pretty regularly if and when he's fit..

Quote Originally Posted by ninian opinian View Post

Love that, stick up for what you're doing Steve

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I get what you mean about his reaction in a press conference, but I'll hold fire on that until it is, hopefully, shown on the club website. As someone who has moaned non stop at the long ball stuff we've had to put up with for so long, it would be unfair to start criticising an approach which sees us value possession more, but I do wonder whether it was part of the plan to move the ball as slowly as we did in the first half against Hull in particular? Surely, there has to be a better tempo to our passing than there was on Wednesday if the intention is to pull create situations whereby people like Ryan Giles get one on ones? I'm struggling to remember a time when that happened in the first half on Wednesday.

Reading that, I also wonder why we went with players in midfield like Ralls and Bacuna whose passing is too unreliable for such an approach. What I would say though as that what Morrison is saying should be music to the ears of the young midfielders he had in the Under 23s because, as long as they can handle the step up well enough, I reckon they're better equipped to play that way than some of the seniors in the first team squad - someone like Sam Bowen should be playing pretty regularly if and when he's fit..
    Totally agree with this.

I'm wondering just how much pressure our manager's are under to play Bacuna, Pack & Valks because of what they're costing the club. It wouldn't surprise me if its a lot.

I get what you mean about his reaction in a press conference, but I'll hold fire on that until it is, hopefully, shown on the club website. As someone who has moaned non stop at the long ball stuff we've had to put up with for so long, it would be unfair to start criticising an approach which sees us value possession more, but I do wonder whether it was part of the plan to move the ball as slowly as we did in the first half against Hull in particular? Surely, there has to be a better tempo to our passing than there was on Wednesday if the intention is to create situations whereby people like Ryan Giles get one on ones? I'm struggling to remember a time when that happened in the first half on Wednesday.

Reading that, I also wonder why we went with players in midfield like Ralls and Bacuna whose passing is too unreliable for such an approach. What I would say though is that what Morrison is saying should be music to the ears of the young midfielders he had in the Under 23s because, as long as they can handle the step up well enough, I reckon they're better equipped to play that way than some of the seniors in the first team squad - someone like Sam Bowen should be playing pretty regularly if and when he's fit..
    Sorry meantVaulks, not Ralls, at the start of the second paragraph.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Love that, stick up for what you're doing Steve
    He sounds a bit precious to me. Five games and he’s already doing a Jose Mourinho in a press conference.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    He sounds a bit precious to me. Five games and he’s already doing a Jose Mourinho in a press conference.
    Well time will tell but at the moment I'm quite enjoying him pointing out a few home truths to people who expect change but expect it immediately.

*Cut to 10 games in, I start a petition against him after he climbs up to my seat in the Canton and calls me a wanker because he didn't like my "negative body language" when watching a match*

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I don't mind it, it shows he believes in the approach and is committed to making it work, and he's prepared to defend it. I'd prefer a manager who has a strong identity about the way they want to play rather than one who decides to abandon it at the first bump in the road. (for all Neil Warnock's faults, one of his major strengths is his teams very much have a playing identity and all the players know exactly what they should be doing in any given situation).

Some of us have been wanting this kind of change in approach for a few years so it does seem reasonable to grant a few more games before we rule it out completely. Having said that some people in the crowd audibly groaning when one of the defenders passed it back to Smithies rather than hoofing it upfield would seem to indicate that some people are going to take a bit more convincing.

Similarly with the youth being promoted this season - that is something that it completely alien to us in the last decade or so. At the start of the season when it became clear we would see a lot of youth players there were many posts on here saying we'd need to be patient with them, that they would probably be inconsistent as they get used to this league. Yet whenever any of them have a remotely below average game there are people on here queueing up to declare that they "aren;t upto it" and are "league one at best". Not many of our senior players were pulling up trees at this level when they were in their teens and early 20s, so if anything these guys are ahead of schedule.

It's going to take time,
    A whole lot of patience and time,
    To do it to do it to do it right now

I thought the boos where for the frantic end and the poor officials.

5 games in and he's getting stick

This club is laughable sometimes

Morison: ""We won’t force the ball into a dead end. We will start again, come back and try to play out and go the other way. We will go down one side, come back the other side and all of a sudden, Ryan Giles is in a 1v1 situation but we don't just leave it there. We still won’t force the ball into a dead end. We will start again, come back and try to play out and go the other way. We will go down one side, come back the other side and all of a sudden we will start again, come back and try to play out and go the other way. We will go down one side, come back the other side and all of a sudden, Ryan Giles isn't in a 1v1 situation so We won’t force the ball into a dead end. We will start again, come back and try to play out and go the other way. We will go down one side, come back the other side and we will go down one side, come back the other side and go down one side, come back the other side and will go down one side, come back the other side and Baccy will pmisplace a pass. But in that one move, we've passed the ball 735 times - which was more than the sum total of what my predecessor did during his last eight games in charge. It's there for all to see."

Seen the interview now and, in contrast to his pre Hull briefing, I thought he was quite impressive - it’s well worth a look.

Anyone else on Wednesday have a fan sat in front of them shouting “Gerrit up there” every time one of our players had the ball at their feet? Some fans have become welded to the up and at ‘em approach. That way was attempted a few times against Hull, Huddleston lapped it up in the second half. Oh for a McPhail threading it through on the deck to Chopra, Huddleston would have been in a right state. Davies instead of being subbed should perhaps have been moved inside onto Huddleston’s shoulder and Moore or Collins moved a touch wider. Then again which midfielder is going to be capable of pinging an accurate on the deck ball through?

Seen the interview now and, in contrast to his pre Hull briefing, I thought he was quite impressive - it’s well worth a look.
    Just watched the whole thing. He came over really well and I really liked him. The print version read a bit too whiny but that's not how he was at all so it just goes to show how the reporting can skew things, especially WOL's headline. Yes, as you say, quite impressive.

It’s not passing that is the problem, it’s the ponderous passing to no effect. Hull could have got some deckchairs out. We need high tempo passing, forward now and again with MOVEMENT off the ball. His comments on the aim of the first half left me cold. Perhaps they will only charge punters for the second half from now on as it is clear they are not interested in playing in the first.

Very good from Morison. Not just what he said - but the way he said it.

Confident, combative, analytical, not precious!

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Just watched the whole thing. He came over really well and I really liked him. The print version read a bit too whiny but that's not how he was at all so it just goes to show how the reporting can skew things, especially WOL's headline. Yes, as you say, quite impressive.
    Just to add, the only thing that I wish he hadn't said was "I wholeheartedly believe we won’t get relegated. We are too good for that, we will be OK."

Good on him I say, part of a managers job to protect players and explain the "why" behind what their trying to do. Obviously working extremely hard in the background and must be frustrating hearing the negativity. We can't praise his passion when we win and then not like it when we lose.

I like this rant.

I didn't understand the boos, it achieves nothing.

I do understand the frustration but actually making a change to how we play would always take patience and at times probably be mind numbingly boring.

But when it works it could be something we enjoy far more.

We are too slow as a team but there has undoubtedly been an improvement.

Biggest frustration for me was the Hull goal, the sort of basic goal we have given away all season and potentially has the power to completely negate any gains we make.