+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dan Walker Tribute to Gary Speed

Re: Dan Walker Tribute to Gary Speed

This is heartbreaking. Remember watching it live
    https://twitter.com/jakey_wesley/sta...958666240?s=21

Video only available in the UK. Any expats seen a link that works outside?

Very powerful tribute, well presented by an obviously emotional Dan Walker.

Must admit to having a tear in my eye at the end. Well actually at a couple of times during the piece as well

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    Video only available in the UK. Any expats seen a link that works outside?
    Ex pats

Very moving tribute. We always highlight the need for men to talk on here and the importance of maintaining good mental health, which is great. The next thread then turns into a slanging contest between two people who need to be proved right and treat each other with complete distain, then others pile in and add to the abuse. This should be a place where people feel like they can share their views and have them treated with respect, at the moment it's far from that environment.

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    This should be a place where people feel like they can share their views and have them treated with respect, at the moment it's far from that environment.
    Let me ask you a question: in a thread that linked an emotional tribute to Gary Speed, do you think it was appropriate to boldly state that ‘suicide is the most selfish of acts’?

Do you think such a ridiculous comment should be either treated with respect or left unchallenged?

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Let me ask you a question: in a thread that linked an emotional tribute to Gary Speed, do you think it was appropriate to boldly state that ‘suicide is the most selfish of acts’?

Do you think such a ridiculous comment should be either treated with respect or left unchallenged?
    That's not the comment I was referring to mate. It's the more widespread bickering over completely pointless things that gets me.

I've no issue with comments being challenged, it's the way it's done at times that bothers me (and I've been guilty of it in the past, so not taking the moral high ground here)

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    That's not the comment I was referring to mate. It's the more widespread bickering over completely pointless things that gets me.
    Fair enough. However, to me and to others it seems, a comment which read: "regardless of who he was, suicide is the most selfish of acts!" in relation Gary Speed's death was crass, ignorant and needed challenging.

I was going to say it's incredible that people still think like this in 2021, but sadly I don't find it even remotely surprising.

It definitely needed challenging. I think it’s one if the more disrespectful things you could possibly say about someone who’s committed suicide.

I honestly thought he was on the wind up, probably made it worse and I just shouldn’t have said anything.

Fair enough. However, to me and to others it seems, a comment which read: "regardless of who he was, suicide is the most selfish of acts!" in relation Gary Speed's death was crass, ignorant and needed challenging.

I was going to say it's incredible that people still think like this in 2021, but sadly I don't find it even remotely surprising.
    No and I agree. The last thing someone in that situation is thinking about is the impact that their actions have on anyone else. They only see one way out and that's horrific to contemplate.

Nobody's perfect though are they. It's also pretty crass to put the boot in again, while not acknowledging the powerful message that they posted about their own circumstances.

Really touching video from Dan Walker.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp_1927 View Post
    It's also pretty crass to put the boot in again, while not acknowledging the powerful message that they posted about their own circumstances.
    "Regardless of who he was, suicide is the most selfish of acts! You’re talking utter bollox. Suicide IS A SELFISH ACT! You really are an arsehole. Go feck yourself, I’m not interested in your opinion. I’m not looking for sympathy you TWAT. Go and **** yourself."

All of the above was posted by one individual in a thread that was supposed to be about a tribute to Gary Speed. But nobody's perfect, right?

"Regardless of who he was, suicide is the most selfish of acts! You’re talking utter bollox. Suicide IS A SELFISH ACT! You really are an arsehole. Go feck yourself, I’m not interested in your opinion. I’m not looking for sympathy you TWAT. Go and **** yourself."

All of the above was posted by one individual in a thread that was supposed to be about a tribute to Gary Speed. But nobody's perfect, right?
    I think you just need to stop now. Maybe show a smidgen of humility. It was a pretty unsavoury exchange, but the 2 involved sorted things out. I don't really understand why you feel the need to then put the boot in again. In the context of what he has shared I think it's really low for you to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp_1927 View Post
    I think you just need to stop now.
    Sure thing. Over and out.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    Also worth reading

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...paign=sharebar

I do hope that the press and Faw action marking 10 years was done at the request of the family, although I do wonder. His wife, parents and sons are the real victims . Yet they seem to be forgotten completely, or a small part of most of the stories. Must be hard to see a reminder of your most traumatic day splashed all over the news

I sincerely apologise to anyone I’ve offended in this thread x
    I’m personally battling my demons on a daily basis and sometimes my filters aren’t switched on
    This thread I agree wasn’t appropriate to air my particular views on such an emotive subject
    Sorry again

I can only speak for myself but the death of Gary Speed had a big emotional impact on me as I guess it did many others on here. We had a similar personal experience where we lost someone close and I’d be lying if I said that we haven’t at times called it selfish when trying to understand because there are no answers.

Respectfully though, in my opinion, any opinions on the subject should be respected. No one sees the world through an identical lens. There are things to fall out over but not this subject… the whole thread turned into a horrible read.

There’s really only a few people that really matter here and Louise Speed is the single most important

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wal...s-22299451.amp

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnysideup View Post
    I’m personally battling my demons on a daily basis and sometimes my filters aren’t switched on
    This thread I agree wasn’t appropriate to air my particular views on such an emotive subject
    Sorry again
    Good post and best wishes

Sorry again
    It's all good man. I'd hope you'd feel like you could reach out to anyone on here should you need to. 👍🏻

Sorry again

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    I can only speak for myself but the death of Gary Speed had a big emotional impact on me as I guess it did many others on here. We had a similar personal experience where we lost someone close and I’d be lying if I said that we haven’t at times called it selfish when trying to understand because there are no answers.

Respectfully though, in my opinion, any opinions on the subject should be respected. No one sees the world through an identical lens. There are things to fall out over but not this subject… the whole thread turned into a horrible read.

There’s really only a few people that really matter here and Louise Speed is the single most important

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wal...s-22299451.amp
    Good post.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Another big ego on ccmb wanting a fight, grow up you ****ing idiot.

Big man going to a football match!
    I called you a div because I thought you were being out of order, turns out you've now apologised so I guess I had a point after all.

Nothing in my post suggested fighting. I go to the football to enjoy my day out not get confrontational, it's more to make a point , I'd call you a div to your face because your behavior to the other poster warranted such a reply, but I don't think you'd stand in front of anyone on here and call them "a ****ing idiot".

Point being, don't behave online how you won't in real life

Just watched the link. I didn't realise at first that that interview with Gary Speed was literally the day that Gary committed suicide. Wow that must have had a lasting impact on Dan Walker, forever wondering if there was anything he could have done/said that might have prevented it. I know it is easy with hindsight of course but I couldn't help noticing that Gary Speed did not seem a particular happy chappy in that clip considering it was an "off air" conversation when he should have felt quite at ease I'd have thought. Maybe the "black dog" was already approaching?