+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Stats Quiz Question

Stats Quiz Question

Cardiff City are currently on a run of 18 league games without a clean sheet. The team's last clean sheet came at Blackpool in August - City's only clean sheet of the season so far.

Only one team in the top five divisions of English football is currently on a longer run of league games without a clean sheet (23). Name them.

Re: Stats Quiz Question

Cheltenham?

Quote Originally Posted by ninian opinian View Post
    Cheltenham?
    No, they won 2-0 at Gillingham on Tuesday.

It's got to be Newport County

Kings Lynn?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Kings Lynn?
    Newcastle haven't kept a league clean sheet this season, but I think it has to be a National League side because the natural way to ask the question would be to restrict it to the 92. I reckon you're right Eric.

Kings Lynn?
    This. 25 games including cup games.

Kings Lynn?
    Kings Lynn is the correct answer. The team second from bottom of the National League are on a run of 23 league games without a clean sheet and 25 games in all competitions.

City are on a run of 18 league games without a clean sheet and 19 games in all competitions.

Next come Scunthorpe, who are rock bottom of the Football League. They are on a run of 14 league games without a clean sheet and 17 games in all competitions.

I’ve no idea if the current run of games without a clean sheet is a club record for City, although I did hear on Sky the other day that the current run of home games without a clean sheet (14 league games, 16 games overall) is the worst since the Sixties.

A win is a win

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    A win is a win
    Much easier to win if you don’t let one in though.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    A win is a win
    A 1-0 or 2-0 win would do wonders for the team's confidence. Going into a game thinking you must score more than once to be in with a chance of 3 points can't be easy.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Kings Lynn is the correct answer. The team second from bottom of the National League are on a run of 23 league games without a clean sheet and 25 games in all competitions.

City are on a run of 18 league games without a clean sheet and 19 games in all competitions.

Next come Scunthorpe, who are rock bottom of the Football League. They are on a run of 14 league games without a clean sheet and 17 games in all competitions.

I’ve no idea if the current run of games without a clean sheet is a club record for City, although I did hear on Sky the other day that the current run of home games without a clean sheet (14 league games, 16 games overall) is the worst since the Sixties.
    Our current run of 19 games without a clean sheet is not quite a club record. That was set in 1933/34 when we went 29 games without keeping a clean sheet, conceding 76 goals in those games. The 29th game was the opening match of the 1934/35 season.

Our current run of 16 games without a clean sheet at home is the worst since the sixties; in fact it's our 2nd worst run ever. Our worst run was 17 without a home clean sheet from 31 October 1936, conceding 25 from those 17. We managed to win 6 of those 17, though we also lost 6 as well. We kept a clean sheet in our last home game of that season against Gillingham. The following season we would go 19 games unbeaten at home from the start!