+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The new Beatles film/series

Re: The new Beatles film/series

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    I don't know about the ins and outs over the longer course of their relationship but she'd had a miscarriage after carrying a baby for 6 months about a month before the recording of the footage in this documentary so maybe she was there because she needed the support from John, and the rest of the band understood that
    Well in that case she shouldn’t be going over Pontcanna or The Racecourse in the winter!

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    This is the stuff that makes it all worth watching for me. Also looks like “the quiet Beatle” wasn’t so quiet after all. Bit bizarre how George just walked out, didn’t seem to be any big issue or bust up. Being 1969 and all the politics I guess there was a lot going on they might not show.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I suspect you’re not old enough to have lived through all of the years when the Beatles were active and selling records (I.e. 1962 to 1970). I’m a bit too young for my memories of their early years to be entirely reliable, but,I think it’s generally accepted that the sixties were a seminal decade - put simplistically, it was when the world went from black and white to colour in ways beyond just cinema and television.

My impression is that the first three years of the sixties were just an extension of the fifties, musically, the shot in the arm provided by rock and roll in the mid fifties had died out as it had gone mainstream with “safer” versions of some of the artists you mention dominant. That all changed in 1963 when I can recall She Loves You (one of my least favourite Beatles songs) getting to number one and it seemed like everyone, and I mean everyone, was singing it.

That was when the sixties started as far as Im concerned. The Beatles didn’t create the sense of rebellion that was a characteristic of that decade, the conditions were in place already for what that decade became, but, for me, they were the focal point of it in that they kicked open a door through which others could follow.

There are those who say the Beatles were “safe” in the way that Hollywood Elvis became safe, they were like Pat Boone, Paul Anka etc, and, certainly, Brian Epstein tried to steer them in that sort of direction while he was still alive, but he couldn’t. In my experience, it is very rare for the biggest, most famous bands and performers of an era to be able to sell huge amounts of records and be good - the ones that sell the most singles tend to be unadventurous and predictable musically, but the Beatles were the biggest band out there for a while and they were also very good and musically adventurous.

There was a time when eight hours worth of television showing the Beatles working in the studio in their latter days would have been lapped up by me, but I’m in no hurry to watch it now, so I suppose I agree with the Whisperer to some extent, but that doesn’t mean that I don’t fully understand why people are still driven to produce such work more than half of a century later - the Beatles were a phenomenon and our lives would have been different if they had not existed, their influence in so many facets of life is greater than any other musical act of my lifetime.
    Agree with a lot of that

I watched the near 8hrs of footage and generally enjoyed it.

Lennon and McC certainly seem to be very close and connected

Harrison seemed like a spare wheel and almost ignored when it came to arranging songs. Felt a little that after he came back from quitting the Beatles Lennon actually went out of his way to give Harrison ideas and songs more airtime. Fundamentally though, it seems the style Harrison wanted for himself (more Clapton like) was not how the Beatles played or McC wanted to play so there was clearly a growing problem there.

McC seemed to lead 90% of the arrangement work

Ringo Comes Across as a nice guy loving seeing McC and Lennon at work. Just watching them and loving music. Also seemed a decent guy in it all

McC and Lennon still seem to be Co-writing as far as credits are concerned but less and less in reality

No sure I saw anything from yoko that was negative or from Lennon that suggested she was influencing him away from the Beatles. The facts that Harrison didn’t want to tour or do shows, ringo wanted to stay close to home plus McC wanted something big and different all added to the problem. The underlying issue mostly seemed to be Harrison wanted to go off and do his own thing. McC was very accepting of Yoko at meetings etc and seemed to have an accepting relationship but not a connection to her

Lennon came across as genuine guy and clearly loved being with McC

Have any of you guys viewed the Youtube videos of "PopGoesthe60s" (a gringe-worthy title, imo)

These dissect several bands/events in pop music during the 1960s in a researched, scholarly way. One video has recently been downloaded (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZOl...=PopGoesthe60s) which is worth checking out.

I also suggest clicking 'Pop Goes the 60s' and then 'videos' at the top of the page to see the content of the site. Many of the issues which arise during the film are discussed in great detail and are an intriguing listen.

And we haven't even got to George's pink pinstripe suit/purple frilly shirt combo. Fantastic.

I wish this footage existed for abbey road

Just watching the gig on the roof bit now, those two young coppers coming to try and stop it, wtf are they like?

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Just watching the gig on the roof bit now, those two young coppers coming to try and stop it, wtf are they like?
    Right pair of Herberts. Squares man.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Have any of you guys viewed the Youtube videos of "PopGoesthe60s" (a gringe-worthy title, imo)

These dissect several bands/events in pop music during the 1960s in a researched, scholarly way. One video has recently been downloaded (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZOl...=PopGoesthe60s) which is worth checking out.

I also suggest clicking 'Pop Goes the 60s' and then 'videos' at the top of the page to see the content of the site. Many of the issues which arise during the film are discussed in great detail and are an intriguing listen.

Great channel and he has a lot more dialogue on the Let It Be sessions than we saw in the documentary.

Including, same day as the McCartney Harrison argument

Lennon: What's up with uou?
    McCartney: Eeeurgh, my dick. Its been itching for days
    Lennon: Try washing it
    Harrison: Try washing!

This is very much spot on. I also didn't like the flowerpot moment, felt awkward hearing a conversation between people who didn't know they were being recorded. https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...on-documentary

Quote Originally Posted by Do me a Faerber View Post
    This is very much spot on. I also didn't like the flowerpot moment, felt awkward hearing a conversation between people who didn't know they were being recorded. https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...on-documentary
    Agree with all that