+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who's left in our Squad for next season?

Who's left in our Squad for next season?

Apparently the following players are out of contract this year:
    Morrison, Pack, Ralls, Smithies, Murphy, Vassell, Flint, Brown and Vaulks

Given that we seem to be cutting costs I can only see us offering Ralls another contract as he's pretty much a guaranteed starter when fit and the right side of 30.

Could be a very different looking squad next year

Re: Who's left in our Squad for next season?

Probably a much younger squad as well.

It's a real opportunity to set the direction for the future.

No Ryan Giles either, as presumably he’ll return to Wolves.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    No Ryan Giles either, as presumably he’ll return to Wolves.
    I don't see Giles getting much of a look-in at Wolves. We should make a cheeky offer in January.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I don't see Giles getting much of a look-in at Wolves. We should make a cheeky offer in January.
    I think he's highly rated there, don't think we've got any chance

Quote Originally Posted by PhyllisStant View Post
    Apparently the following players are out of contract this year:
    Morrison, Pack, Ralls, Smithies, Murphy, Vassell, Flint, Brown and Vaulks

Given that we seem to be cutting costs I can only see us offering Ralls another contract as he's pretty much a guaranteed starter when fit and the right side of 30.

Could be a very different looking squad next year
    if finances allow it I'd like us to keep Ralls and Morrison from that lot. I'm assuming they would need to agree to a big pay reduction though, so they might want to try their luck elsewhere.
    if brown can Force his way into the team it may be worth keeping him.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see a couple of those shipped out in January to cut costs and perhaps raise a few quid.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    if finances allow it I'd like us to keep Ralls and Morrison from that lot. I'm assuming they would need to agree to a big pay reduction though, so they might want to try their luck elsewhere.
    Brown is terrible! The only way he'll get into the team, is if we have injuries. He's simply not good enough for the Championship.

Morrison has been poor this season, hence why he's been benched a lot recently. Could you imagine how much possibly more slower he might be in a year's time?

Keep , Morisson, Ralls , Smithies and Pack as a backbone of experience and build the youngsters around them .

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    Wouldn’t be surprised to see a couple of those shipped out in January to cut costs and perhaps raise a few quid.
    who is going to pay the wages they are on to take them off us?

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Keep , Morisson, Ralls , Smithies and Pack as a backbone of experience and build the youngsters around them .
    smithies is good, but rumoured to be on a very high wage. I think Phillips will be fine in the long run. they are all probably amongst the highest earners at the club, a lot will depend on what they are prepared to drop down to.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Keep Pack? He's become a liability. If you're going to keep an aging player, at least choose one who's going to lead by example on the pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Keep Pack? He's become a liability. If you're going to keep an aging player, at least choose one who's going to lead by example on the pitch.
    I think Pack is becoming more influential. He looks up, sees the game and can pass the ball. Obviously, he has his limitations. That's why he played for the likes of Cheltenham, Bristol City and us.

If you look at that list of players, none of them are on an upward trajectory. They're going to have to take pay cuts. But I think we need to keep at least a couple of them. I would consider Ralls the most important. I'd like to keep Pack on a short-term deal and Morrison.

Keeping Ralls has to be the priority. He's been underrated by City fans for years and at 28 still has plenty to give

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I think Pack is becoming more influential. He looks up, sees the game and can pass the ball. Obviously, he has his limitations. That's why he played for the likes of Cheltenham, Bristol City and us.

If you look at that list of players, none of them are on an upward trajectory. They're going to have to take pay cuts. But I think we need to keep at least a couple of them. I would consider Ralls the most important. I'd like to keep Pack on a short-term deal and Morrison.
    pack plays an important role for us at the moment, but we also will presumably have Wintle back by then as well, who should also be able to play it, with perhaps a youngster like D'Almeida as backup

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Don’t be surprised to see Moore moving on, either in January, or in the summer.
    I am not sure how happy he is here and let’s face it, he is the only player worth serious money.
    If Morison wants to re style the team he may want to sign players elsewhere on the pitch

Well the feedback from that meeting was none would be offered deals wasnt it.

I suppose we are close to finding out.

Ralls and Smithies should be offered deals plus Morrison if he comes back near to his best.

Im sure the 3 will be able to get deals in the Championship elsewhere though so will we keep any of them.?

Brown I really cant believe McCarthy turned down money for him.

Like Ralls and Morrison stay, experience will be vital with even more youngsters being thrown in.

They can all sign deals elsewhere from Jan though can't they? Doesn't seem like any of them will be staying on.

If this club has any sense it would have to be only a jaw dropping offer which will tempt it to let Moore go. In my opinion he has to stay at all costs.

Out of all the other senior players I would keep only Ralls. If Morrison accepted the offer on the table then so be it but out of the rest there's no one I'd be sad to see leave, and there's at least four I'd happily pay their Pickford's bill if they left sooner rather than later.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Well the feedback from that meeting was none would be offered deals wasnt it.

I suppose we are close to finding out.

Ralls and Smithies should be offered deals plus Morrison if he comes back near to his best.

Im sure the 3 will be able to get deals in the Championship elsewhere though so will we keep any of them.?

Brown I really cant believe McCarthy turned down money for him.
    Left footed CBs are very much at a premium at the moment, especially with so many teams playing with 3 at the back. he's still young for a CB and at the start of the season he had opportunities to force his way into the team.

maybe it won't happen for him here, but let's not forget that for big parts of this season some top championship level centre backs have also looked pretty poor, so perhaps it isn't the fairest time to assess him.

Ralls and Morrison must be kept. Morrison has probably been carrying an injury for most of this season but every effort must be made to retain his services. The rest can go as far as I'm concerned.

Some of those are 'already gone' and we're not going to miss them - Vassell, Murphy, for example. As for the rest, Smithies is said to be the highest paid player in the squad, so you can bet good money that he will be sold or released. Vaulks is only making up the numbers at the moment, and I think he will also be let go/sold. Brown is a cheap option, so he will probably be kept on (unless we unearth a CB gem from somewhere). Murphy probably won't be coming back, unless he experiences some sort of personal revelation in the next couple of months. Vassell has been very unfortunate, but has been milking the club for years, with nothing in return, so will be released.

Which means we'll hold on to Morrison, Pack, Ralls, and Flint, and maybe Brown, and try to replace the others with cheap bargains or Youth players.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    Some of those are 'already gone' and we're not going to miss them - Vassell, Murphy, for example. As for the rest, Smithies is said to be the highest paid player in the squad, so you can bet good money that he will be sold or released. Vaulks is only making up the numbers at the moment, and I think he will also be let go/sold. Brown is a cheap option, so he will probably be kept on (unless we unearth a CB gem from somewhere). Murphy probably won't be coming back, unless he experiences some sort of personal revelation in the next couple of months. Vassell has been very unfortunate, but has been milking the club for years, with nothing in return, so will be released.

Which means we'll hold on to Morrison, Pack, Ralls, and Flint, and maybe Brown, and try to replace the others with cheap bargains or Youth players.
    I'd be shocked if we kept Morrison and Flint. I imagine it'll be one or the other

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post

I can't see us keeping all of Morrison, ralls, flint and pack.
    they are good players, but 3 of them are the wrong side of 30, and they'll all be on premier League inflated contracts. if they will drop their salaries significantly then perhaps we Will Keep them, but there will be other clubs our there who are able to pay more than us these days