Thread: Very Quiet On Here

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Very Quiet On Here

The king of all riffs.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    The king of all riffs.
    I listen to a lot of metal and even today loads of bands have that iommi downtuned stabbing sound

i think this guy was better than Iommi

https://youtu.be/o9Nii9wuidQ

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post

Budgie, one of the most under rated bands of the 70s riff heaven

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Bassist Burke Shelley is alive and well, living on Richmond Road, Cardiff.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Wasn’t that a series with Adam Faith?

Very good guitarist and a good band but they were not metal . Iommi was the first , by accident of course due to him losing the tips of his fingers and giving him that distinctive sound .

I liked Budgie , I am a fan of of Voivod who always hailed the band but they were Deffo in the led zep camp of heavy rock rather than the Sabbath side of flat of metal

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Very good guitarist and a good band but they were not metal . Iommi was the first , by accident of course due to him losing the tips of his fingers and giving him that distinctive sound .

I liked Budgie , I am a fan of of Voivod who always hailed the band but they were Deffo in the led zep camp of heavy rock rather than the Sabbath side of flat of metal
    yeah..i'll buy that

i remember as a young kid tramping out to a tent in a muddy field to see Budgie...was in coed i gores before it was finished.

yeah..i'll buy that

i remember as a young kid tramping out to a tent in a muddy field to see Budgie...was in coed i gores before it was finished.
    Very influential band . Breadfan is very heavy power trio at its best .

Shelley was an odd chap though . He often derided Sabbath which was just daft ....they are not everyone's cup of tea but in the hard Rock and metal world they are the top of the tree . I think he was just copying Robert Plant who also said Sabbath just copied led zep riffs which was laughable considering led zep were just a direct copy of delta blues legends until they found their feet .

Shelley became a born again Christian in later life I think .

Listen to this Sludge. You might like it.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Listen to this Sludge. You might like it.

Yes I like them , very industrial in parts , remind me of killing joke , ministry , godlflesh but in a spaced out , lighter way

Hints of spiritualized, spacemen 3

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

As an aside, in the late 70's I was in in Gamlin's checking out the guitars, when a lorry with the Budgie motif pulled up outside. The band got out (Burke Shelley couldn't be mistaken for anyone else) and came into the shop for a browse or to pick up some equipment. I quite liked them but of the Welsh bands around at the time, I preferred Sassafras.

Gamlins.. bought my first kit there..maxwin , total rubbish but i was over the moon