+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Phil Dwyer RIP

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Hearing phil dwyer has passed away.

Joe started playing for the first team the season after I started watching Cardiff City so I must have seen most of his home appearances. He felt like the link between the late 1960s/early 1970s/ECWC era and the more modern 1970s. And he was there through the good and bad times of relegation and then promotion.

I always remember that what he lacked in finesse he more than made up for in commitment and as a result everybody was happy when he played (apart from opposing forwards maybe...)

Jason Perry always struck me as a latter day Joe Dwyer.

I also remember a story of him swallowing his tongue after a collision during an away game and the physio running onto the pitch and saving his life. He probably played on!

As often gets said these days with the passing of a former player, we could do with a few Joe Dwyers in the current XI.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    Joe started playing for the first team the season after I started watching Cardiff City so I must have seen most of his home appearances. He felt like the link between the late 1960s/early 1970s/ECWC era and the more modern 1970s. And he was there through the good and bad times of relegation and then promotion.

I always remember that what he lacked in finesse he more than made up for in commitment and as a result everybody was happy when he played (apart from opposing forwards maybe...)

Jason Perry always struck me as a latter day Joe Dwyer.

I also remember a story of him swallowing his tongue after a collision during an away game and the physio running onto the pitch and saving his life. He probably played on!

As often gets said these days with the passing of a former player, we could do with a few Joe Dwyers in the current XI.
    Yes it happened - he describes the incident in his book. It was away at Gillingham and apparently the physio Ron Durham used the corner flag post to prise his tongue out of the back of his throat before giving him the kiss-of-life. He writes: "I know I have a big mouth but I didn't think it was big enough for a corner flag!". And, no, he did not continuing playing but was fit for the next game (home against Colchester).

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    Yes it happened - he describes the incident in his book. It was away at Gillingham and apparently the physio Ron Durham used the corner flag post to prise his tongue out of the back of his throat before giving him the kiss-of-life. He writes: "I know I have a big mouth but I didn't think it was big enough for a corner flag!". And, no, he did not continuing playing but was fit for the next game (home against Colchester).
    I have actually read his book, which shows how good my memory is......