+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Phil Dwyer RIP

Re: Hearing phil dwyer has passed away.

Very sad news. Nobody was more Cardiff City than him. Deepest condolences to his family and friends. RIP Joe

Scored that goal in that 2-1 win against Leeds in 84 ?

Night game ?

RIP Phil Dwyer

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Miethig View Post
    Very sad news. Nobody was more Cardiff City than him. Deepest condolences to his family and friends. RIP Joe
    Cardiff through and through.
    As a child he lived above the greengrocers on Penarth Road and went to St. Patrick’s school before moving on to Fitzalen at 11.
    Playtime at St.Pats was always football, usually with a tennis ball. At 8 or 9 years of age he was already a better player than anybody else, although often played in goal. Similarly playing on Saturday mornings in the schools league. I think it fair to say that as he got older his focus was very much on football than schoolwork. At 16 I started training with the City Youth on Tuesdays and Thursdays at Coronation Park. He was just a month younger than me but by that time he was already signed as a full time apprentice. Always enthusiastic, always determined, often crazy��

City 'legend'. The first time I've used that term in all the years I've been on this message board, but it's fitting of Joe Dwyer. I was privileged to have seen him play for most of his City career.

RIP Joe

R I P Phil Dwyer

Sad news

Re: R I P Phil Dwyer

Quote Originally Posted by uncle bob View Post
    Sad news
    See yesterday's thread.

Very sad news. That testimonial never did him justice. Very poor turn out, I think we had just got relegated if my memory is correct m. A true club legend.

Phil “Joe” Dwyer 1953-2021.

https://mauveandyellowarmy.net/

Sad news. RIP Bluebird

Joe started playing for the first team the season after I started watching Cardiff City so I must have seen most of his home appearances. He felt like the link between the late 1960s/early 1970s/ECWC era and the more modern 1970s. And he was there through the good and bad times of relegation and then promotion.

I always remember that what he lacked in finesse he more than made up for in commitment and as a result everybody was happy when he played (apart from opposing forwards maybe...)

Jason Perry always struck me as a latter day Joe Dwyer.

I also remember a story of him swallowing his tongue after a collision during an away game and the physio running onto the pitch and saving his life. He probably played on!

As often gets said these days with the passing of a former player, we could do with a few Joe Dwyers in the current XI.

I'll never forget the year after the famous clock incident at Portsmouth, when Joe pre game came charging over to the City fans on the Milton End, grabbed the the fence and started shouting "What's the time?" Absolutely brilliant. R.I.P Phil, you are a legend to every single bluebird.

Sad to hear the rumour confirmed this morning.

A true Cardiff City legend who wore his heart on his sleeve, fiercely competitive, even after his professional days.

RIP Joe.

RIP. Proper City legend.

Very sad, I first noticed him when I used to watch my mate play for the Youth team, as they used to kick-off early when City were at home.

R.I.P. Joe.

My first Cardiff city “hero” too, no nonsense defender, always remember how proud I was as a Cardiff city fan when he played for Wales up front against England in the Home Internationals and scored against them at Ninian Park

Re: R I P Phil Dwyer

Sorry. Didn't see it. Eek

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Yes, it was in February 1983. Lindon Jones had a go as well after Andy Dibble was injured. We lost 4-2 and Joe scored one of our goals, not sure how many he let in.
    Thanks TOBW - had forgotten about Lindon Jones going I as well - was this before subs or limited subs?

That was the only game that year that I missed as I had an exam and had arranged for the ADAR Glas bus to pick me near college then the game got changed to the afternoon so I couldn't go and then missed a belter of a game which my usual travel companions including Mark Watkins (Dr Pop) managed to see 👍

RIP. True club legend.

My all-time CCFC hero. Can't believe he has died so (relatively) young. Proud to have his book "Mr. Cardiff City" signed by the man himself. 100% commitment every time he played. I don't know if he would last the full 90 minutes in the modern game as his tackling was pretty ferocious on times!

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    Joe started playing for the first team the season after I started watching Cardiff City so I must have seen most of his home appearances. He felt like the link between the late 1960s/early 1970s/ECWC era and the more modern 1970s. And he was there through the good and bad times of relegation and then promotion.

I always remember that what he lacked in finesse he more than made up for in commitment and as a result everybody was happy when he played (apart from opposing forwards maybe...)

Jason Perry always struck me as a latter day Joe Dwyer.

I also remember a story of him swallowing his tongue after a collision during an away game and the physio running onto the pitch and saving his life. He probably played on!

As often gets said these days with the passing of a former player, we could do with a few Joe Dwyers in the current XI.
    Yes it happened - he describes the incident in his book. It was away at Gillingham and apparently the physio Ron Durham used the corner flag post to prise his tongue out of the back of his throat before giving him the kiss-of-life. He writes: "I know I have a big mouth but I didn't think it was big enough for a corner flag!". And, no, he did not continuing playing but was fit for the next game (home against Colchester).

RIP Joe City legend and my all-time City hero, no nonsense defender and a cult hero

His name is Joey Dwyer he's the hammer of our team
    Quite emotional, he was our rock in the 70s big part of my favourite season 75/76

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    Yes it happened - he describes the incident in his book. It was away at Gillingham and apparently the physio Ron Durham used the corner flag post to prise his tongue out of the back of his throat before giving him the kiss-of-life. He writes: "I know I have a big mouth but I didn't think it was big enough for a corner flag!". And, no, he did not continuing playing but was fit for the next game (home against Colchester).
    I have actually read his book, which shows how good my memory is......

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Yes, it was in February 1983. Lindon Jones had a go as well after Andy Dibble was injured. We lost 4-2 and Joe scored one of our goals, not sure how many he let in.
    Linden Jones - another former very committed City player that I always really liked and yet was let go by the club (in one of the most bizarre joint transfers of all time, along with another favourite of mine John Lewis :-( )

Quote Originally Posted by barrybloo View Post
    R.I.P.
    R.I.P 'Joey', got some great memories of your time playing with City, especially the epic 75/76 season. It only seems like yesterday i was chatting to you about the incident at Gillingham where you nearly swallowed your tongue and could have died. You told me you were more scared of getting the kiss of life off City's physio that day, than of dying, as you roared with laughter