+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Phil Dwyer RIP

Re: Phil Dwyer RIP

I remember him playing a blinder in a home international against England

He looked huge on the pitch to me in the Canton stand with my dad

Phil was a member of the City side in March 1975 when my father took me to my first game at Ninian Park on the day before my eighth birthday - a dire 0-0 draw with Sheffield Wednesday. Both teams were relegated to the Third Division a month later, but the following season was the epic 75/76 promotion campaign in which Phil played an enormous part. He was also an integral member of the team that won promotion in 1982/83 when the Bennett brothers were strutting their stuff at City.

In 2007, I interviewed Phil for the Valley Rams website. We became friends then and I was fortunate enough to enjoy a number of great days and nights with him over the years. One that springs to mind came in May 2008 in the week leading up to the FA Cup Final. We did an interview together for Setanta Sports in the sunshine outside Ninian Park during the afternoon, and then spent several hours getting well and truly 'refreshed' in the Duke of Clarence afterwards. I can remember thinking how surreal it was being sat in a pub with one of my all-time football heroes discussing the Bluebirds' chances in the forthcoming FA Cup Final.

When Phil's autobiography was published in 2011, I helped him with orders taken through the various websites and message boards, and we also arranged a book signing session for him in the Supporters Trust office at the new stadium. I can remember being sat in Phil's living room for a couple of hours while he signed piles of books and carefully wrote dedications for the many fans who'd requested them. The personal message of thanks he wrote inside my copy is something I'll always treasure.

Phil was a guest of honour at the Cardiff City Supporters' Trust launch event in September 2008 and he readily made himself available for numerous fan functions down the years. I last saw him in January 2020 at a 1-1 draw with Reading on a Friday night at the CCS. As always, he had time for everyone, and we had a chat and a laugh after what had been an especially grim game.

Phil Dwyer is a true giant in Cardiff City's history and I was privileged to be able to call him a friend. He'll be missed.

Very Sad News

Re: Hearing phil dwyer has passed away.

RIP Joe - my first City hero

Used to love 'The Move' when we won a free kick just to the side outside the box - always used to shout out look out its the move!!

Free kick swung in by John Lewis Phil would go front post Gary Bennett back post - it bloody worked as well!!

Re: Hearing phil dwyer has passed away.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody's Rep View Post
    Thanks TOBW - had forgotten about Lindon Jones going I as well - was this before subs or limited subs?

That was the only game that year that I missed as I had an exam and had arranged for the ADAR Glas bus to pick me near college then the game got changed to the afternoon so I couldn't go and then missed a belter of a game which my usual travel companions including Mark Watkins (Dr Pop) managed to see ��
    There was just the one sub back then, so whenever a keeper was injured/sent off, an outfield player would go in. I may be wrong, but it always seemed to me that there was no prior discussion about who would take over in goals, it was just a case of who fancied doing it. So, I wouldn’t be surprised if one of Joe or Linden had a bit of a nightmare and the other just said they could do better! Joe scored in the last ten minutes that day, so I assume he’d done his stint in goal by then.

That game was a throwback to the three day week ten years earlier when it was common to see matches played on a weekday working afternoon, but I can’t think of it happening to us again since that afternoon at Bradford.

R.I.P Mr Cardiff City.

As been mentioned by others watching him score for Wales v England at ninian park was 1 of my great memories of Mr Cardiff City amongst others

RIP Legend

Phil Dwyer: Watch from 1978 as Cardiff City great scores for Wales against England https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/59492439

RIP Joe - a legend.

I spoke about him in work today, such a shame that only one out about 8 blokes had heard of him. Couple are youngsters but they follow the City home and away, they had no idea about him. There’s me telling them that he’s the City’s record appearance holder etc. Sad thing is if it was a stalwart of some other clubs the roads would be closed for the funeral it’d be so packed.

Cardiff City Great. God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY View Post
    Phil Dwyer: Watch from 1978 as Cardiff City great scores for Wales against England https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/59492439
    Thanks for the link - cracking goal. I don't remember it but I must have been there as I moved back to Wales in Feb. 1978 and became a regular ever after. Don't think I missed any of the home championships.

RIP Big Phil
    Sad news indeed

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Phil was a member of the City side in March 1975 when my father took me to my first game at Ninian Park on the day before my eighth birthday - a dire 0-0 draw with Sheffield Wednesday. Both teams were relegated to the Third Division a month later, but the following season was the epic 75/76 promotion campaign in which Phil played an enormous part. He was also an integral member of the team that won promotion in 1982/83 when the Bennett brothers were strutting their stuff at City.

In 2007, I interviewed Phil for the Valley Rams website. We became friends then and I was fortunate enough to enjoy a number of great days and nights with him over the years. One that springs to mind came in May 2008 in the week leading up to the FA Cup Final. We did an interview together for Setanta Sports in the sunshine outside Ninian Park during the afternoon, and then spent several hours getting well and truly 'refreshed' in the Duke of Clarence afterwards. I can remember thinking how surreal it was being sat in a pub with one of my all-time football heroes discussing the Bluebirds' chances in the forthcoming FA Cup Final.

When Phil's autobiography was published in 2011, I helped him with orders taken through the various websites and message boards, and we also arranged a book signing session for him in the Supporters Trust office at the new stadium. I can remember being sat in Phil's living room for a couple of hours while he signed piles of books and carefully wrote dedications for the many fans who'd requested them. The personal message of thanks he wrote inside my copy is something I'll always treasure.

Phil was a guest of honour at the Cardiff City Supporters' Trust launch event in September 2008 and he readily made himself available for numerous fan functions down the years. I last saw him in January 2020 at a 1-1 draw with Reading on a Friday night at the CCS. As always, he had time for everyone, and we had a chat and a laugh after what had been an especially grim game.

Phil Dwyer is a true giant in Cardiff City's history and I was privileged to be able to call him a friend. He'll be missed.
    Absolutely, A one club man .....if it had been up to him

I was extremely sad to hear of the passing of a true Cardiff City great. RIP Sir Phillip John Dwyer.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    Very sad news. That testimonial never did him justice. Very poor turn out, I think we had just got relegated if my memory is correct m. A true club legend.
    It was against Stoke, November 82. I actually went, but I regret to say that me and a load of other boys sneaked in behind the Grange End. I was only 13 at the time, so didn’t really appreciate what testimonials were for.
    It was a poor turnout, but Stoke were hardly glamour opposition, their star player was Mark Chamberlain, dad of Oxlade.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Miethig View Post
    It was against Stoke, November 82. I actually went, but I regret to say that me and a load of other boys sneaked in behind the Grange End. I was only 13 at the time, so didn’t really appreciate what testimonials were for.
    It was a poor turnout, but Stoke were hardly glamour opposition, their star player was Mark Chamberlain, dad of Oxlade.
    Really random choice of opposition.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Really random choice of opposition.
    Joe deserved a lot better.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Miethig View Post
    Joe deserved a lot better.
    He certainly did, it smacks of ‘Who’s refused and who’s available now?’

Following on from various posters saying Joe was ferocious in the tackle, my abiding memory of him was a game at NP towards the end of his career with us. The opposing Centre Forward had broken through our 'defence' and was one on one with our keeper. As Joe gave chase I screamed 'Chop him Dwyer'. He proceded to execute the perfect tackle from behind and came away with the ball without touching the attacker.
    Turns out I was at his first game away at Orient too.
    RIP Joe

Decent write-up on BBC Sport website:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59485088

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    He certainly did, it smacks of ‘Who’s refused and who’s available now?’
    The club probably didn't even try to get opposition that would attract more supporters.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    The club probably didn't even try to get opposition that would attract more supporters.
    Imagine the conversation, “Joe, we’ve sorted out the opposition for your testimonial”..... “I won’t guess, just tell me, I can’t wait to find out”....”It’s Stoke”..... “F*ck me, I should have stayed at Rochdale”.

I met him a couple of times through a mutual friend, top guy. Condolences to his family friends and ex colleagues at CCFC and SWP. RIP Phil.

Really sorry to read this. I started going in 1980 and he was such an important part of that team at the time. Sad news.