+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: COLWELL (Ruben)

COLWELL (Ruben)

Reading WOL I am sure other clubs will be looking.. I DO feel that the time he spent with Wales....training with people like BALE will have instilled a higher desire within him ...let's hope so......

Re: COLWELL (Ruben)

Colwill. Not having a pop but let's nip this in the bud right at the start of his career so he doesn't become another Boothroyd.

He's got a bright future, he's a mad player to watch though. Very effective but you could hardly say he glides across the pitch he's got quite a clumsy style of play (to my untrained eye anyway)

Saying that, I do absolutely love him

Culwell is the best youth player we’ve had since Ramsay

Erm...It’s Rubin as well, unless the OP was on about another similar named player He’s either very lucky or knows what he doing when he goes on a bit of a run, the ball invariably sticks to him despite hitting opponents shins or the like. It’s never, or it seems like, a clean dribble.......but, up to now, it works, long may it continue.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Erm...It’s Rubin as well, unless the OP was on about another similar named player He’s either very lucky or knows what he doing when he goes on a bit of a run, the ball invariably sticks to him despite hitting opponents shins or the like. It’s never, or it seems like, a clean dribble.......but, up to now, it works, long may it continue.
    Ah...one too many glasses of red wine....

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Colwill. Not having a pop but let's nip this in the bud right at the start of his career so he doesn't become another Boothroyd.

He's got a bright future, he's a mad player to watch though. Very effective but you could hardly say he glides across the pitch he's got quite a clumsy style of play (to my untrained eye anyway)

Saying that, I do absolutely love him
    Yeah, i don't think that he's the brightest at times. He doesn't know what it means to hold the ball up, he turns with it at every given moment, even if there's a player stood on his heels. Does his best work in the final third facing the opposition goal, very positive in that area. Sometimes though, like a baby giraffe giving multiple traffic signals.

If we had any real ambition for next season we would build a team around him
    Playing him in the number 10 role where he should be

Quote Originally Posted by olderblue View Post
    Totally agree

Whilst we are being fair , wasn’t it Mick Mcarthy who promoted him to the seniors when he was looking like he would get released ?

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    Ah...one too many glasses of red wine....
    Before 7pm on a Thursday

Quote Originally Posted by olderblue View Post
    I think people are bigging him up a bit too much

Can't we just call him Robin Coolwell and be done with it?

There's a player there but he has a long way to go. I don't see us fighting off serious money, more chancers who would look to get him on the cheap and then loan out.

Nice to see academy players having any sort of impact.

Steve Morison said in his press conference (he's started doing them now, rather than the Zoom meetings) that Colwill needs to learn how to use his six foot four inches more both in terms of all round strength and heading the ball. He also said that Colwill has much more ability than he ever had and if I read him right, I think he was saying that it would be a bit of a waste to just use him as a number nine. If that's what our manager meant, then I agree with him because he has to be more of a number ten surely than a target man - albeit I agree that, with his height, he should be another aerial threat.

Think some in this thread are being a bit hard on Colwill - he's nineteen, is probably our main creative threat, is our joint top scorer and has played a very prominent part in two of our wins (Forest and Preston), sparked a comeback from 3-0 down at Stoke and was a factor in our win last week, is there any other player in this division that could be applied to?

Quote Originally Posted by Fine Lines View Post
    Whilst we are being fair , wasn’t it Mick Mcarthy who promoted him to the seniors when he was looking like he would get released ?
    Danny Gabbidon on the EJFOF podcast was very adamant that it was all Mick (for all the youngsters getting a chance) and we need to be careful of others who try to take credit.

I cant believe he gets knocked albeit from a small portion of fans.

I really dont think some can spot genuine ability.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    I cant believe he gets knocked albeit from a small portion of fans.

I really dont think some can spot genuine ability.
    That's what I think, he looks like he has plenty of talent to me. It's his first full season in the first team, he's been playing in a pretty shit team playing pretty shit football and still managing to look a good player.

I'm shocked when people say they think he's over hyped.

I'm pleasantly surprised that we haven't forced him to play as a target man due to his height, and he has been able to develop his skills in the younger age groups.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Steve Morison said in his press conference (he's started doing them now, rather than the Zoom meetings) that Colwill needs to learn how to use his six foot four inches more both in terms of all round strength and heading the ball. He also said that Colwill has much more ability than he ever had and if I read him right, I think he was saying that it would be a bit of a waste to just use him as a number nine. If that's what our manager meant, then I agree with him because he has to be more of a number ten surely than a target man - albeit I agree that, with his height, he should be another aerial threat.

Think some in this thread are being a bit hard on Colwill - he's nineteen, is probably our main creative threat, is our joint top scorer and has played a very prominent part in two of our wins (Forest and Preston), sparked a comeback from 3-0 down at Stoke and was a factor in our win last week, is there any other player in this division that could be applied to?
    Some people are unfairly harsh on the youngsters and I don't really see why. One poor half from a teenager and there's people crying he's not good enough, never be good enough etc whereas senior players can put in a series of abject performances and people will be saying they're not being played right, manager's fault etc

Colwill is clearly one of out best attacking outlets and is still just 19

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Some people are unfairly harsh on the youngsters and I don't really see why. One poor half from a teenager and there's people crying he's not good enough, never be good enough etc whereas senior players can put in a series of abject performances and people will be saying they're not being played right, manager's fault etc

Big up you and Bob

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post

Yeah, one of our best attacking outlets, great work in the final third, nobody is disputing that, are they?

His stuff outside of that are isn't great yet, it may never be, depends on what type of player he turns into and how he develops. Nothing wrong with pointing out a players style and their attributes. He's done very well, and whether we like it or not, he's under a bit of pressure now, although it's good pressure, because he has put him self in a position of expectation due to his ability. It's part of the game and it would be naive not to think so. When you're better at something than most people then there's going to be attention, no Matter what the age.

he's definitely becoming more and more influential as he gets used to this division. from his first few forays his number of take-ons completed had shot up in the last few weeks which is probably down to having more confidence that he belongs at this level. if he fills out a bit he could become a real powerhouse driving from midfield.

He's good now. I think he's going to get better and better.

I think he is a huge talent. I am genuinely excited about him. His touch is excellent, he’s natural on the ball and he can drop his shoulder and go past people like they’re stood in concrete. It’s not pace or dribbling just natural talent. Reminds me of Koumas in that respect.

Robin Clubfoot has got what it takes to become a Wales international.