Can't fault that

Re: Wrexham, Pride Of The North

Great support home and away but still underperforming on the pitch

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Last home game v Yeovil ?

8000 at the racecourse

Can't fault that
    How come? Isn’t that about twice what they used to get when they were a league club?

https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/w...nces/2019-2020

Pre covid.

Not having a dig at their attendances since, but it's pretty obvious why. It's not that their great fans that follow their team through thick and thin...

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    How come? Isn’t that about twice what they used to get when they were a league club?
    They've had 9800 this season as well.

Hard to imagine how/why.

The takeover I should imagine

Wrexham fans have really got behind the club since they left the football league

The town seems proud of its football club

And Wrexham Lager

Is that still made ?

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/w...nces/2019-2020

Pre covid.

Not having a dig at their attendances since, but it's pretty obvious why. It's not that their great fans that follow their team through thick and thin...
    Oh yes they are

They have very good support considering the size of Wrexham compared to say ......Newport

Their last away game ? 1000 away fans

That's excellent at that level 👏

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    The takeover I should imagine
    Sam Hammam took over CCFC

Crowds went up

Wrexham fans have really got behind the club since they left the football league

And Wrexham Lager

Is that still made ?
    Not really, they've averaged less than 4,000 most of that time

The takeover has breathed new life into the club and attendances are up

Oh yes they are

They have very good support considering the size of Wrexham compared to say ......Newport

Their last away game ? 1000 away fans

That's excellent at that level 👏
    Because of the takeover mate.

Like I said, can't knock it, but there's a good reason for their bigger followings recently.

In the interest of good natured debate I have offered up a link pre covid of their attendances.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Not really, they've averaged less than 4,000 most of that time

The takeover has breathed new life into the club and attendances are up
    I don't know of many clubs that would get the following they have in the league they are in . Even before the takeover .

They had better support pre takeover than we did before hamman booted us up the arse .

And Wrexham Lager

Is that still made ?
    Yep! Wrexham Lager is lovely. Britain's oldest lager and in recent years they changed the recipe back to the original Victorian recipe.

It's always £1.50 a bottle in Co-ops and honestly it's really good.

I have no real thoughts on Wrexham FC but their owners seem like good eggs and the Canadian one looks like me accordign to my mum

Sludge is a ****ing traitor. I knew it. A little bit of Hollywood and off he goes. That's why he always loves it when we're shit. He's a closet Wrexham fan. Coincidentally, he hasn't posted about a mumsy, middle-aged TV presenter for months. It makes total sense now. Which one do you think he likes best? Ryan Reynolds or Rob McElhenney?

They must have potential, as local fans they have the entirety of North Wales as a catchment. I guess it’s only the relative proximity to the Merseyside clubs and their vast respective history that probably eats away at their base

Quote Originally Posted by Kitman View Post
    They must have potential, as local fans they have the entirety of North Wales as a catchment. I guess it’s only the relative proximity to the Merseyside clubs and their vast respective history that probably eats away at their base
    Genuine question though, do they attract fans from across North Wales? I've never really thought of Gwynedd or Anglesey or northern coast towns as being Wrexham areas. They really do seem to look to Merseyside.

Gwynedd probably more into that cart racing stuff from S4C too

Because of the takeover mate.

Like I said, can't knock it, but there's a good reason for their bigger followings recently.

In the interest of good natured debate I have offered up a link pre covid of their attendances.
    Yeah the takeover has definitely helped increase the interest there.

I don’t think it’s a bad thing though, Wrexham had been doing nothing of note for years. So something was needed to increase interest.

I imagine most clubs would see a bump in attendances after big takeovers.

Lets face it. They are getting crowds because of a Hollywood actor. Thats it. When the novelty wears off it will be business as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Genuine question though, do they attract fans from across North Wales? I've never really thought of Gwynedd or Anglesey or northern coast towns as being Wrexham areas. They really do seem to look to Merseyside.

Gwynedd probably more into that cart racing stuff from S4C too
    Think it’s more north east. Did get talking to a Wrexham fan that was from somewhere in Gwynedd the last time Wales played in Denmark. I’d say that’s a minority though, I think football fans from that corner of Wales follow their local Welsh league teams and/or follow one of the big Merseyside clubs.

They’ve had an uptick in interest and attendance because of the obvious but even before that I’d say they had pretty respectable crowds given the last 15 or so years they’ve had on the pitch in that division.

I wonder what sort of crowds the city would get if we had been in the same position.

I was in Wrexham last week and what’s different with this takeover is the whole town have got right behind the club and it’s owners. There’s life size cardboard cutouts of Ryan Reynolds in the pubs FFS!!

One of my wife’s friends (late 40s and single Sludge) mentioned that ‘Mullin had scored again…’ and she always hated football.

Interestingly, Wrexham haven’t spent a penny of the cash Reynolds and McElhenney originally put up… all the current investment has come from the increased attendances (S/Ts), merch, Tik Tok etc… they’re on the up! They’ll be challenging us and the jacks within 5 years. Good luck to ‘em.

And by the way, Wrexham Lager is a lovely drop these days… and their bootlegger pilsner is not bad either. He’s crackers that bootlegger fella.

Quote Originally Posted by Kind of Blue View Post
    Think it’s more north east. Did get talking to a Wrexham fan that was from somewhere in Gwynedd the last time Wales played in Denmark. I’d say that’s a minority though, I think football fans from that corner of Wales follow their local Welsh league teams and/or follow one of the big Merseyside clubs.

They’ve had an uptick in interest and attendance because of the obvious but even before that I’d say they had pretty respectable crowds given the last 15 or so years they’ve had on the pitch in that division.

I wonder what sort of crowds the city would get if we had been in the same position.
    Yeah I agree, they do get good crowds and have a loyal fan base. I just didnt think they really drew fans from across North Wales.

In fairness, if you're in Bangor, Llandudno etc then I don't think Wrexham is really any closer than Liverpool.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Yeah I agree, they do get good crowds and have a loyal fan base. I just didnt think they really drew fans from across North Wales.

In fairness, if you're in Bangor, Llandudno etc then I don't think Wrexham is really any closer than Liverpool.
    Yeah agreed, “capital of north Wales” etc. Although I’m not really arsed when south Walians follow one of the big Lancastrian clubs, I do tend to think it’s fair game if you’re a north Walian. Totally anecdotal and based on random encounters at Wales games but proportionally Everton seem to be well supported by the gogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Lets face it. They are getting crowds because of a Hollywood actor. Thats it. When the novelty wears off it will be business as usual.
    A few know it.

Mad to think a whole other thread about bickering was started off the back of this thread but the longer we stick around the more it rises to the top as the real truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Kind of Blue View Post
    Yeah agreed, “capital of north Wales” etc. Although I’m not really arsed when south Walians follow one of the big Lancastrian clubs, I do tend to think it’s fair game if you’re a north Walian. Totally anecdotal and based on random encounters at Wales games but proportionally Everton seem to be well supported by the gogs.
    It's understandable when you are only an hour or so away from Liverpool or Manchester to support their football clubs

But when you live in Cardiff or close by then you can get fecked as far as I am concerned

A few know it.

Mad to think a whole other thread about bickering was started off the back of this thread but the longer we stick around the more it rises to the top as the real truth.
    Wrexhams support even before this takeover was higher than most clubs in league 2

And I don't know how long you have been following Cardiff but the last time we were in the bottom divisions our support wasn't very different from theirs .