+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: FT: CARDIFF CITY 2 - 3 SHEFFIELD UTD. Match thread

Re: FT: CARDIFF CITY 2 - 3 SHEFFIELD UTD. Match thread

Quote Originally Posted by Doucas View Post
    Think Marlon Pack is getting off really lightly here. Arguably his fault on all 3 goals. First one their player got past him too easily to shoot, second one he didn't follow his man, third his bad pass led to the goal.
    All true. Pack had a 'mare today.

Quote Originally Posted by Doucas View Post
    Think Marlon Pack is getting off really lightly here. Arguably his fault on all 3 goals. First one their player got past him too easily to shoot, second one he didn't follow his man, third his bad pass led to the goal.
    100% agree with this. When he first signed I enjoyed watching him play. He's never had pace but was a clever passer of the ball, rarely seeming to waste it. But two and a bit years on, he has even less pace and slows the play when he receives it. He should be called Marlon Back. Oh for a midfield with runners, taking the ball forward, at pace, and pressing the opposing defence, rather than passing backwards and sideways for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by Zowhore View Post
    Marlon Pack is outstanding at shifting blame, you can clearly see it every game, he finds someone else to blame, usually it’s Giles
    Agreed all he does is point and shout. Got nowhere near to closing down Gibbs-White.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    I was very positive last Saturday. I was just intrigued by your 70/48 first half attacks comment.
    I wasn't having a go mate, sometimes things don't come across as intended on here, maybe I'm wrong and you're just straight talking but I sense a negative vibe off your posts. Put that down to years of supporting city.

The stat I found was posted in reply to a post (I can't remember it word for word so may get this wrong) that suggested we hadn't been the better team in the first half.

I'm not sure how they work out the stat on the whoscored app but they'd judge us both on the same basis so however they score an attack we still had more than them, can't just go off stats because you can manipulate them to any argument, but I thought we did attack more than them in the first half and looked more dangerous when we did, some really good stuff.

Moving away from a rigid defensive minded approach where we didn't commit men forward will obviously come with its own dangers and leave us open to be attacked back and we need to improve defensively, but I'm just happy to see us playing with more freedom and purpose and actually entertain. I actually enjoyed the game up until the sending off and we had a few chances with 10 men.

Work to do but it's got to be a step in the right direction and won't fall into place overnight

Quote Originally Posted by bluebirds17 View Post
    Agreed all he does is point and shout. Got nowhere near to closing down Gibbs-White.
    That got the ball rolling. I've been a fan of pack thus season but he has had his moments this year where he hasn't covered himself in glory, noticed little things in games it's like he thinks he has more pace than he does and makes bad decisions due to it.
    Example, he could have put a cross in last game and didn't, decided to try and beat his man to get a cross in a bit further up the pitch and basically lost the ball because he didn't have the legs.

He needs to factor his lack of pace into his decision making.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    We lost that game not so much because of the sending off but the mindset afterwards. Virtually surrendered instead of giving it a go.
    We lost because of the red card and Sheffield were good at playing against ten. We kept Davies on for a while when it was still 1-0, but once it got to 1-1, the writing was very much on the wall and clearly another Sheffield goal was a lot more likely than a second City one, so I understood the decision to try to hold on to the 1-1 rather than aim for the win. It didn’t work, but I’m sure the outcome old have been the same if we’d kept Harris and Davies on.

Sheffield looked a decent side to me and we were lucky to be level after twenty five minutes, but then we had a good twenty five minutes and were playing as well as I’ve seen us this season when Morrison got done for pace by thirty five year old Billy Sharp, who has never really been a speed merchant.

Quote Originally Posted by bluebirds17 View Post
    I'm so annoyed at Morrison. He's 30 years been playing at the senior level for 15 years and makes a challenge like that to put is under pressure. Wouldn't play him again personally.
    Thats rubbish. If he hadn't tried to tackle him Sharp would have scored and then Morrison would have been pilloried by people like you for letting him go. He was man of the match last week and scored the winner. You need to get a sense of balance. We played well first half with some nice interplay and passing. Without the sending off we certainly wouldn't have lost.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Thats rubbish. If he hadn't tried to tackle him Sharp would have scored and then Morrison would have been pilloried by people like you for letting him go. He was man of the match last week and scored the winner. You need to get a sense of balance. We played well first half with some nice interplay and passing. Without the sending off we certainly wouldn't have lost.
    Morrison was the slowest player on the park yesterday.
    We've now shipped 37 goals.
    If we don't start getting points at home we're done for in this league.
    Morison needs to work out his starting eleven and stick with it now.
    Ralls had his best game this season.
    Pack was dire.
    Davies is the most exciting player I've seen in years and I want to see him start each match.
    Morrison would have been better off letting Sharp through and staying on the park - we'd have had a chance of a draw or late winner but it cost us the match. Last week is history. This week we're 21st in the table.
    I think on the pitch, we're heading in the right direction but we have to move up the table.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Morrison was the slowest player on the park yesterday.
    We've now shipped 37 goals.
    If we don't start getting points at home we're done for in this league.
    Morison needs to work out his starting eleven and stick with it now.
    Ralls had his best game this season.
    Pack was dire.
    Davies is the most exciting player I've seen in years and I want to see him start each match.
    Morrison would have been better off letting Sharp through and staying on the park - we'd have had a chance of a draw or late winner but it cost us the match. Last week is history. This week we're 21st in the table.
    I think on the pitch, we're heading in the right direction but we have to move up the table.
    Fair comments.
    Morrison has been shown up with 3 at the back and may be the reason why he has looked so off the pace this season.
    If Morison is going to persist with this formation we desperately need someone with pace in that position. Connolly in the u23 looks pretty mobile.
    I agree that we must somehow start winning home games sooner than later otherwise we will be relegated.

We were on top of them at the start of the half and even if we conceded we would have still been able to give a go. Going for that challenge he was only ever going to get sent off.

I admit saying I don't want him playing for us again is an overreaction but I certainly don't think he deserves a place in the team. He's been poor all season and looks like he's lost any pace he had.

Been thinking about this today, Sharp could have missed, Smithies could have stopped Sharp from scoring.

Silly challenge really

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Been thinking about this today, Sharp could have missed, Smithies could have stopped Sharp from scoring.

Silly challenge really

expg2.jpg

according to this chart, (which I got from.statsbomb). a few minutes later, taking a red to prevent a one on one with the keeper would statistically have been an ok decision to make

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    expg2.jpg

according to this chart, (which I got from.statsbomb). a few minutes later, taking a red to prevent a one on one with the keeper would statistically have been an ok decision to make
    Unfortunately, football isn’t played on charts !

Unfortunately, football isn’t played on charts !
    Fortunately it gives odds on our chances.

You can have football your own old way nobody will stop you enjoying the game without all the added extras Tony. But others like a bit more to look at to pass their time, they find it interesting, and that's up to them if it tells them something it tells them something, it doesn't have to appeal to Mr 1956

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Fortunately it gives odds on our chances.

You can have football your own old way nobody will stop you enjoying the game without all the added extras Tony. But others like a bit more to look at to pass their time, they find it interesting, and that's up to them if it tells them something it tells them something, it doesn't have to appeal to Mr 1956
    1951 please

Expected goals, “my arse” !!!!
    What a load of bollox

1951 please

Expected goals, “my arse” !!!!
    What a load of bollox
    I was thinking more the era you grew up in not your year of birth I was going 40s for that.

You don't have to like the xG, you can still have your game and it can be as simple as you want it or as complicated as you want it. Wonderful isn't it, inclusion.