+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forty four years ago today.

Forty four years ago today.

3/12/77

Cardiff City 1 Sheffield United 6

Irwin, Attley, Pethard, Dwyer, Went, Thomas, Buchanan (90), Campbell, Sayer, Robson, Giles

Brown, Cutbush, Calvert (25), Kenworthy (43), Colquhoun, Flynn, Woodward (81), Campbell (34,88), Stainrod, Hamson, Hamilton (52).

Att. 6,395

Who was there? I was and can remember ironically cheering John Buchanan's last minute goal as I made my way out of the ground by the corner of the Grange End and Bob Bank. Can also recall Sheffield's grey headed veteran winger Alan Woodward scoring a trademark long range goal which was applauded by many of those present - we let in six the following week as well when we were beaten 6-3 at Bolton.

Re: Forty four years ago today.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    3/12/77

Irwin, Attley, Pethard, Dwyer, Went, Thomas, Buchanan (90), Campbell, Sayer, Robson, Giles

Brown, Cutbush, Calvert (25), Kenworthy (43), Colquhoun, Flynn, Woodward (81), Campbell (34,88), Stainrod, Hamson, Hamilton (52).

Att. 6,395

Who was there? I was and can remember ironically cheering John Buchanan's last minute goal as I made my way out of the ground by the corner of the Grange End and Bob Bank. Can also recall Sheffield's grey headed veteran winger Alan Woodward scoring a trademark long range goal which was applauded by many of those present - we let in six the following week as well when we were beaten 6-3 at Bolton.
    Glad Buchanan's last minute consolation brought respectability to the scoreline.

I wasn't there but remember my dad telling me, in best dad joke style, that Cardiff won.....long pause..... Sheffield Utd 6.🙄

a few years before I was born, so I didn't attend that one

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    a few years before I was born, so I didn't attend that one
    Plastic

I was 6 months old so I can’t remember if I was there

First Team

Almost certainly but I cannot remember what I did last week let alone that long ago.

Growing old is no fun.

I was there and can remember that last minute consultation goal, 44 years ago😟😟😟

3/12/77

Att. 6,395

I got taken as a birthday treat as I was going to be 7 the next day!!! That Woodward bloke was outstanding but looked so ancient..... The superkev of his day

I remember it well, I was 12 at the time and it was my first season as a season ticket holder, City were shocking that day but looking at that team it does seem a bit lopsided, 3 full backs in Attley, Pethard and Thomas and no out and out striker, I presume either Paul Went or Phil Dwyer, RIP, played in attack. Did we have an injury crisis or just a particularly poorly put together squad? I wonder if anyone on here went to this game and Bolton away the next week!

Quote Originally Posted by Toggs View Post
    I remember it well, I was 12 at the time and it was my first season as a season ticket holder, City were shocking that day but looking at that team it does seem a bit lopsided, 3 full backs in Attley, Pethard and Thomas and no out and out striker, I presume either Paul Went or Phil Dwyer, RIP, played in attack. Did we have an injury crisis or just a particularly poorly put together squad? I wonder if anyone on here went to this game and Bolton away the next week!
    “ I remember it well, I was 12 at the time and it was my first season as a season ticket holder,”

Ditto.

I was there. Looking back it was a poor side that were in 19th place going into the game. Robin Friday played in the Bolton game and I think it was his last game. Tony Evans was out injured. It was the season that Jimmy Andrews experimented with playing Paul Went up front.

Bit before my time but I remember the last game at Ninian Park against them - my boys first match.

McCormack missed penalty, 2 sending offs and a 0-3 loss with Cotterill tearing us a new one.
    That was the start of that spectacular collapse for a play off spot.

Four Cardiff born players in the line up…..what was that about wanting more local lads in the side?

Quote Originally Posted by 19bluebirds27 View Post
    Bit before my time but I remember the last game at Ninian Park against them - my boys first match.

McCormack missed penalty, 2 sending offs and a 0-3 loss with Cotterill tearing us a new one.
    That was the start of that spectacular collapse for a play off spot.
    That was my lads first game aswell. I wanted him to go to at least 1 game before NP closed and chose this even though I knew we couldn't get there in time for kick off. We got to our seats just as Ross McCormack was walking off the pitch, so was a bit of an anti climax after that for him.

Must have been at that 6-1 but it's been erased from my memory bank.

First Team

Talking of being outclassed , and testing my failing memory banks , which opposition teams were the most impressive you have seen at NP or the new place.
    I remember a M,boro team, possibly under Jack Charlton, tearing us apart and also Notts Forest with a young Viv Anderson playing a blinder, making us look silly.
    However, a Leeds team at the height of their power, coming down here in a Cup match, and winning 2-0 without even seeming to bother breaking sweat were probably the most impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Toggs View Post
    Rod Thomas played centreback towards the end of his career. That was the season when Went played up front a lot, but I thought it was later on than that? No Ray Bishop either.

Quote Originally Posted by tpcnw View Post
    I was there. Looking back it was a poor side that were in 19th place going into the game. Robin Friday played in the Bolton game and I think it was his last game. Tony Evans was out injured. It was the season that Jimmy Andrews experimented with playing Paul Went up front.
    I think Tony Evans was out for most of that season and you’re right, the following week’s game was Robin Friday’s last for the club while I think Keith Robson may have been transferred quite soon after.

Keith Robson was not here long. His Wiki page states "However, his time in South Wales was plagued by disciplinary problems and, in December, he was heavily fined by the club and placed on the transfer list with manager Jimmy Andrews commenting he "had problems with the player since he came here"
    Robson's last game appears to have been in mid-January.

I was there, 14 years old and a season ticket holder , a little book with a raffle like ticket for each game. I remember all those players and remember trying Paul Went as a striker and yes we often put Phil Dwyer up there too but I can’t remember the specifics of this game . We stayed up by the skin of our teeth i think , very low crowds too but I was hooked

First Team

3/12/77

Att. 6,395

My memory must be failing me I thought it was 6-3 at home against Luton.

I was there and although my memory of the game is a little bit hazy, I recall that every time they had a shot on goal it seemed to find the back of the net. I think Simon Stainrod may have scored a couple. It was one of those games where we were not outplayed but one in which Sheffield Utd put away all their chances.

Quote Originally Posted by tpcnw View Post
    Keith Robson was not here long. His Wiki page states "However, his time in South Wales was plagued by disciplinary problems and, in December, he was heavily fined by the club and placed on the transfer list with manager Jimmy Andrews commenting he "had problems with the player since he came here"
    Robson's last game appears to have been in mid-January.
    Robson had a bust up with Jimmy Andrews’ assistant Alan Sealey in the car park by the Grandstand after a game against Southampton I think it was not long before the Sheffield United match.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post
    Talking of being outclassed , and testing my failing memory banks , which opposition teams were the most impressive you have seen at NP or the new place.
    I remember a M,boro team, possibly under Jack Charlton, tearing us apart and also Notts Forest with a young Viv Anderson playing a blinder, making us look silly.
    However, a Leeds team at the height of their power, coming down here in a Cup match, and winning 2-0 without even seeming to bother breaking sweat were probably the most impressive.
    That Forest team murdered us 3-0 and won the First Division title the following year and yet we went up there a few months later and beat them 1-0.

I always think of the Reading side which walked the Championship in 05/06 as a very good team, they beat us 10-3 in aggregate that season and in the 5-2 down here you just thought they could score against us any time they wanted.

Thinking about it though, I don’t think I’ve seen City involved in a more one sided game against one of the ninety two than Man City’s 5-0 win down here in 2018.